Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watching Albion from the opposition end

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
My boss is a big Derby County fan so he has got us tickets to watch the game tomorrow night in the home end.

Now I have watched hundreds of Brighton games over the last 20 years but this will be the first from the oppositions end and I must say I am very apprehensive. I just don't know how I will be able to control myself if (when!) we score and how I will react if they do?!

What are others experiences of watching with the opposition?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The only way I could get into a FA Cup game at the Goldstone once was to go in with the Scousers in the East Terrace.

Had to stifle my delight when Byrne scored for us, and pretend to be mildly pleased when Liverpool won it in ET.

Not something I ever intend to repeat.

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Got lots of these stories -

Sitting in the swindon end when we lost 4-1 there in the league cup.

Also at wycombe, oxford, barnet and brentford (4-0 loss when top of the table!)

Best of all is my dad, in the watford end for the 1984 fa cup tie, who stood up and cheered when john barnes gave away a penalty. Mid-80s football terraces were not particularly forgiving of that behaviour!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Three times:

Against Everton with a bunch of scousers - we lost 4-3, generally cheered for Brighton and was treated with toleration by the Everton fans

Watched a game at Molyneux with a girlfriend who was a Wolves fan. We won 1-0 with Eric Young scoring near the end. Gave a quiet little cheer and clenched fist gesture but didn't go mad

Watched us lose 3-0 to Gillingham when we played there about 10 years ago and couldn't get Albion ticket. DIdn't cheer for Albion, nothing to cheer about

Was also in Cambridge stand at Cambridge in April 1997 but the police moved us into the Albion end pretty quickly

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a case of needs must on occasion - but if you an instinctive Albion fan (usually stand up when we're on a good attack, want to shout at the ref for an opposition bad challenge etc) you won't enjoy it anywhere near as much. Is it a better experience than not going at all? Debatable.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It's a case of needs must on occasion - but if you an instinctive Albion fan (usually stand up when we're on a good attack, want to shout at the ref for an opposition bad challenge etc) you won't enjoy it anywhere near as much. Is it a better experience than not going at all? Debatable.

Agreed. I've never done it personally and can't honestly see myself ever doing it. I'm pretty much certain I just wouldn't be able to control myself. I think I'd rather just not go. Not saying no one should ever do it, just personally wouldn't.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
West Ham away, opening game of the 80/81 season (?), in amongst the Hammers' hardcore behind the goal. Not something I'd like to do again! Brentford away when we lost 4-0. I was so pissed off at the end couldn't contain my anger, the Bees fans said something like 'Calm down mate, we won' so I told them I was a Brighton fan. They're harmless tho...

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I've always said I would rather not go than watch from the opposition end but when your boss is good enough to buy you a ticket it is very difficult to say no! Might lay off the pre match drinks though!

I suppose I might be able to actually watch the football more closely and see where exactly we are going wrong/right if I'm totally sober and not jumping up and down every two minutes!

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Went in with Tottenham at the Goldstone with my mate. Both BHA fans both from Haywards Heath with train tickets. Numpty of a copper did not believe we were bha fans even questioned us about the team, whose the keeper? We got Perry Digweed right and he marched us round into the east/north corner. Horrible day!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
In with the Oldham lot at Boundary park when we lost 6-1

Stood amongst the Pompey faitfhul in 1984 when we lost 5-1 (Wliie young's finest hour) and you all got wet in the Milton end

But in Colchester's old rickety wooden main stand when we beat them 4-1

and with Brentford's fans last seson at griffin Park for a splendid win and crackingly funny own goal, which seemed i was the only one in the stand to be enjoying !

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Ultimate "nightmare" in Feb 83 - I had to stand on the Kop. Fortunately, it was so tightly packed you couldn't punch the air or jump about. Didn't see our first goal as the crowd surged forward. Other than that - whenever I go we rarely score anyway.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Just remembered the Coventry game at Highfield Road in 1981 (see last Saturday's programme) I was with a school party on free tickets and they all knew who I supported. Really enjoyed our recovery from 0-3 down to 3-3 though.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
with Brentford's fans last seson at griffin Park for a splendid win and crackingly funny own goal

That own goal really was a great finish, makes me smile just thinking about it. That was the night I was sure we were going up, seem to remember other results going very well.

bn1 seagull

Dec 9, 2010
the other week against southampton... had to stand up and clap all three of their goals. lucky we didn't score on the other hand...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
When doing the radio at Scunthorpe, I was sat in teh main stand next to barry and hawsey doing the commentary.....I was restrained by a reporter from the Mirror covering our game as I was about to lamp this complete wanker in front of us. He was the most biggotted homophobic loud mouth shit you have ever heard....the language was apalling and some of the stuff he was shouting in the direction of the brighton fans was vile..After the game he was hanging around as it appears he had sponsored the game...and I approached him again asking him politely to call me a "f***ing gay chutney ferret " to my face....I seem to remember someone leading me away as this bloke tried to tell me it was all banter!!!!

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
I really wouldn't bother, putting a lid on your excitment and passion for the team will ruin any enjoyment. I watched a game some 6 years back at Ipswich, with my mother of 58 in the family end. We were abused for the last 20 mins and threatened by a mother and her 14 year old son as we walked out. Never again, completely pointless.

Meet your boss before the game for a drink and then afterwards, I'm sure he'll understand as my Forest supporting father-in-law will next year.

When doing the radio at Scunthorpe, I was sat in teh main stand next to barry and hawsey doing the commentary.....I was restrained by a reporter from the Mirror covering our game as I was about to lamp this complete wanker in front of us. He was the most biggotted homophobic loud mouth shit you have ever heard....the language was apalling and some of the stuff he was shouting in the direction of the brighton fans was vile..After the game he was hanging around as it appears he had sponsored the game...and I approached him again asking him politely to call me a "f***ing gay chutney ferret " to my face....I seem to remember someone leading me away as this bloke tried to tell me it was all banter!!!!

You should have rogered him royally granma, shagged some sense into him
:4poofsandabigpianist:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I reckon i have been in the home ends more than the awayends when watching the albion,find it much easier to just pay on the gate with little hassle,better than pi$$ing around with this membership bollocks.
Tottenham away in the fa cup(mates a spud fan)
brentford away x4
wycombe away x3
swindon away 2
southend away 2
leyton orient x 3
reading x1(soon to be x2)
shed loads more and its great fun :)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Thrice as far as I can remember.

0-3 vs West Ham in the FA Cup
2-1 vs Charlton soon after Poyet tookover
4-0 vs Charlton at the start of our mega run

I eventually outed myself as a Brighton fan by the time the third went in vs Charlton, but didn't goad anyone or rub it in. In fact, quite a lot of Charlton fans clapped us off the field, around me.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
FA Cup Final - I got there late and had to go in Man U section, hard not to celebrate when we scored, at least I didn't cheer when United scored, fans didn't seem to notice my lack of passion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here