Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was it YOU at the Arizona Diamondbacks game last night?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Another question - why is someone wearing a Mariners jersey at a Braves v Dbacks game?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
D6mCLiXXsAAuTpi.jpg

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
I refuse to set foot back inside a baseball stadium until the return of Nos Amours, les Expos de Montréal. :p So it couldn't have been me as a matter of principle. (And I'm a *very* principled person... for a French-Canadian. :LOL:)

Ha - as I follow the Tour de France around the South-west, my holiday reading is PQ - Une Histoire Illustrée du Baseball au Québec

I was staying in Montreal in about 2001? (the season Barry Bonds broke the HR record for SF).
Single-season record for HRs was 2001

I was at his 600th HR game in 2002, still have the ticket and commemorative pin

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
I was staying in Montreal in about 2001? (the season Barry Bonds broke the HR record for SF).
I bought a ticket outside for $2.
It remains the cheapest sports event I've ever been to.
(The most expensive ticket I've ever paid for was £250 last season for Ajax away)

My last Expos game was probably in 1996. I moved to South Korea in early 1997 and was working in Mongolia by 2001. It was pretty obvious at that point that MLB was going to move the franchise, because we fans felt betrayed by the commissioners, the owners, their 1994 lockout and the subsequent fire sale that probably robbed us of the World Series -- we were by far the best team that season, and it just *felt* like a foregone conclusion. Unlike other fan bases, we voted with our feet and pockets, and didn't lament the team's move to Washington.

And yeah, those last lame-duck seasons, we were buying cheapies in the 500s, but sitting in the 100s right behind home plate and the first- and third-base lines to create a better atmosphere. Not easy when there's only 10 000 spectators in a 60 000-seat bowl. Gone were the days when I would look over at the away team dugout and see Donald Sutherland in his regular spot, joining the full house in cheering on Gary Carter, Tim Raines, Andre Dawson, Al Oliver, Steve Rogers, Jeff Reardon, Dennis Martinez, Tim Wallach... Then in the 90s, Delino Deshields, Pedro Martinez, Henry Rodriguez, Andres Galarraga, Vladimir Guerrero, Larry Walker, John Wetteland, Moises Alou, Marquis Grissom... And almost every single one of those stars was home-grown, too -- drafted and nurtured in our farm system.

:cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is going well :lolol:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It wasn't me.

I didn't do it.

Not guilty m'lord.

I wasn't there, I think.

Possibly

But not sure.

What was the question again and why have I come upstairs?;

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Probably a Randy Johnson fan.

Speaking of which, the Expos trading Johnson to Seattle for Mark Langston in 1989 was just stupendously horrid in hindsight, wasn't it? Erreur du siècle.

Randy Johnson was the best pitcher I have ever seen. In 1993 when the Jays were heading for back to back World Series, we had a couple of series with the Mariners and every time he pitched, our batters simply couldn't get at.him. He was class even if he looked like he lived In a trailer park.

I remember your Expos team @Quebec Seagull . It must have hurt, especially seeing the Jays win it first. I think the Big O was a part of the problem too, by the way, which you haven't touched upon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here