Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was it fixed?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
That we play Doncaster at home (last game at the Goldstone) and then Gillingham (temp home) and then Portsmouth (who we could of shared with) in our first three games?

Basically just bored this Saturday as Cricket has been cancelled........nothing what so ever to do....but drink beer and watch he horses:shootself

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Brighton & Donny asked for the fixture.
Brighton also asked for a home fixture for the first game.
Sometimes if you ask, you get!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
So what if the Donny match was fixed - at least it shows somebody somewhere has a heart!

funny isn't it, how when we REALLY needed the FA/FL, we got jack shit.

but now we get to pick our opening fixtures!

glad they went with this though. adds meaning to the occassion without taking it away, such as petty rivalry (and frankly all rivalry is petty compared to the significance of this occassion)

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I dunno if it was fixed but we asked for a home game and they asked for an away game on the opening day so that certainly increased the chances of it happening.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I dunno if it was fixed but we asked for a home game and they asked for an away game on the opening day so that certainly increased the chances of it happening.

this, coupled with the fact that the police wanted a fixture that would be easy to do so they could get everything working properly. this obviously ruled out any teams from the midlands downwards and those with a history of trouble, which basically left one of doncaster, barnsley, boro, blackpool or hull

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Must admit, when I saw the fixtures I just had to smile... how unbelievable is that?
Great weekend away for us. "We're just a pub team and we're havin' a laff!"
Doncasterlona for your first game... it just dont come any better!

ants4t

Jun 17, 2011
According to an article on the BBC website, the fixture computer has a lot of human interaction and intervention. It can't be "fixed" as there isn't a fixed random selection.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
100% fixed but no one will ever admit it

Eh? The fixtures aren't randomly generated and I don't think anyone pretends that they are. Hence all those requests Albion made that were printed in the Argus the other day. And why the "Big 4" in the prem all play each other on the same weekend.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Fixed - No : Agreed - Yes

I may be wrong in this but :

Big difference between fixed and a request agreed in this case.

The Football League have 'perhaps' responded to a request from Albion, not done in years, and the FL has agreed under the exceptional circumstances.

This could, on the other hand, have been pure chance but I believe it may have been agreed under exceptional circumstances (nostalgia etc) of a new stadium. Albion were never going to request (if indeed they did) anything controversial as a first fixture, so it is not that much of a big deal for the FL to recognise the sense of a non-controversial fixture and to look kindly on such a request.

I would not find it difficult to believe that the FL would do the same for any other club in a similar situation !

Remember, no-one has 'fixed' the result !

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I suspect there's a point towards the end of a season/over the summer where all clubs are invited to make any specific fixture requests for the following season, along with the justification for said requests, and the FA/FL will try to accomodate them where possible and where it's not to anyone's advantage or disadvantage. I think we asked for this and have been given it simply because there is no logical reason for us not have been.

We have to play everyone at some point, it does no-one any harm that we're playing Donny first and it gives us the chance to complete our journey in the most appropriate manner possible - everyone's a winner (including us on the day itself, I hope).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here