Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was Hammond pushed out, and if so why?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm with Morris on this, the glass is half empty and I've yet to be convinced when you compare who's gone and who's come in so far over this season.

In the context of the subject of this thread, are you including Dean H in your comparision? The comparison surely must exlude him, as it is the other players that he needed to look at to assess the club's ambition.

In that case, up until the last day we had signed McFaul, Thompson, Dixon and Murray and sold Revell and Elder. Glass seems pretty full to me.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah you are right, signing the captain of a top-six SPL side and our most expensive cash signing for 25 years definitely AREN'T the signs of ambition.:thud:

Hammond clearly didn't show any ambition. He's signed up for 4 months of Championship action, in all liklihood followed by at least a year back at this level.

Yes we have made our most expensive signing in a while, but at the same time we have more or less broken even this window when you look at what we have recouped in selling some of the family silver.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Perhaps McFaul has been amazing in training and will replace Hammond within seconds. Perhaps Dixon will take his 2nd attempt at league football by the scruff of the neck and become a legend.

If neither happens then I'm sorry the Wilkins, the squad he nicely built upto christmas had been for nothing.

Yes we have made our most expensive signing in a while, but at the same time we have more or less broken even this window when you look at what we have recouped in selling some of the family silver.

But the only one that we've sold that I'm sorry to see go is Dean Hammond, and he forced the club into a corner. We basically had no option but to sell. Take that transfer out (I admit he should have been replaced) and we've spent a significant chunk more than we've made back.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Hammond had a job like everyone else. You agree to the terms of your contract and in return your employer pays you a salary.

If you want more money or better prospects then you sometimes have to change employers. Ask your current employer for more money and it's up to him to decide if he wants to pay (or can afford to pay) the extra.

If you can't agree it's time to move on. As the employee you haven't been pushed out, but equally your employer shouldn't resent your desire to better yourself.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I understand that Deano has told other players, via Facebook, that he was pushed out by the club.

Was he? If so, why?

Is it simply that we didn't want to risk him going on a free?

Or is it because we needed to recoup some of the transfer money we've splashed out?

Or something else?

Hammond wanted to and would of re-signed.

But it became obvious that the club ( DK ) was dragging his feet on a new deal.

The club showed no real urgency or personal efforts outside of the coaching staff to show just how much he was wanted by the club.

The rather belated offer came and he was given ultimatums and told that this is the final offer.

I thought he would of waited until the Summer to move, but it seems maybe interest might not of been as strong as many would of thought.

The club to cash in made it clear that Hammond would never play for the club again should he not sign for Colchester or sign the offer tabled.

The risk of missing months of football was too greater a risk.

So he has gone and I fear we will find out just how much we needed a player of his calibre.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The club to cash in made it clear that Hammond would never play for the club again should he not sign for Colchester or sign the offer tabled.

The risk of missing months of football was too greater a risk.

Hang on - where did you hear that ?

Hammond wanted to and would of re-signed.

Would have re-signed if what?

Dean would know from past experience that this club is notoriously slow at sorting contracts out. I've got to say that they just sound like a set of excuses to me. If he really wanted to stay, he would have stayed and sign a new contract. As it was, he didn't, he wanted to hang around until the summer and take the best offer that he got. I don't blame him for that, but then he can't turn round and say that he was forced out of the club, and blame them. The contract was there for him to sign if he wanted to, he just didn't.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He wasn't pushed..................he drove out the door all by himself. And good luck to him.
Who of us wouldn't have changed job for a fourfold salary increase and you can't blame DK for not competing with that level of expectation

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Glad hes gone.

He can then "disappear" in the Colchester midfield as well for 4 months.

Yes he popped up with some goals now and then, but he took a SHIT penalty and I dont think he ever, ever took a game by the scruff of neck.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Seems to me like Dean Hammond is making as many excuses as he can to try and deflect attention away from himself. In The Argus he says the club didn't offer him a contract soon enough, if we had offered one 6 months earlier what would have been the difference??

His agent also came out with that bollocks about ambition... we turned down a £200k bid at the start of January, ambitious? Signed 5 players, including the most expensive purchase for 25 years, a captain of a top 6 SPL side, and Richards whose everyone was clamouring for... ambitious?

And apparently he is now claiming he was pushed out? I doubt it somehow, if he had wanted to sign his contract would he have been forced out? Would he have been bothered about a couple of months?

This is all bullshit. Reminds me of when Gerrard nearly joined Chelsea, and said it was because he "didn't feel wanted" by Liverpool, which it wasn't, it was because Chelsea offered him £100k a week, he stayed when Liverpool matched that.

Nothing in this leads me to think Dean Hammond has been hard done by. Rather, it leads me to think Dean Hammond is a f***ing ****.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Seems to me like Dean Hammond is making as many excuses as he can to try and deflect attention away from himself. In The Argus he says the club didn't offer him a contract soon enough, if we had offered one 6 months earlier what would have been the difference??

His agent also came out with that bollocks about ambition... we turned down a £200k bid at the start of January, ambitious? Signed 5 players, including the most expensive purchase for 25 years, a captain of a top 6 SPL side, and Richards whose everyone was clamouring for... ambitious?

And apparently he is now claiming he was pushed out? I doubt it somehow, if he had wanted to sign his contract would he have been forced out? Would he have been bothered about a couple of months?

This is all bullshit. Reminds me of when Gerrard nearly joined Chelsea, and said it was because he "didn't feel wanted" by Liverpool, which it wasn't, it was because Chelsea offered him £100k a week, he stayed when Liverpool matched that.

Nothing in this leads me to think Dean Hammond has been hard done by. Rather, it leads me to think Dean Hammond is a f***ing ****.

Is the correct answer .....

Rather, it leads me to think Dean Hammond is a f***ing ****.

Or, perhaps, that Hammond is a too-easily-led thick twat and his agent's a ****.

Could be either, really.

Stuff about ambition is rubbish ie about wanting to play CHampionship football. If we had offered to pay him more than Colchester have, he would have stayed, whatever our level.

I have no problems with this sale. He clearly didn't want to play for us anymore, and the club has got back nearly all the money we have shelled out in our most expensive signing for 25 years.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I think it's quite simple. We wanted money for him. It happens at every club since Bosman. No big conspiracy theory.

The club offered him a new deal, he didn't sign it, therefore we had to make sure he didn't go on a free. Who's to say that even if we do get into the Champ next season, he wouldn't still have wanted to go?

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK

He said it better...

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
dean hammond was forced out of this club - at the end of the day Dean knows what he meant to true fans and the idiots that slag him off on here havent got a clue - how many more people at this club are going to be slagged off by Dick and shown the door until people realise that dick doesn't always tell the truth

Sorry but what is your definition of "forced out".

He was offered a new contract, didn't think it matched his valauaton of his services, and so got better terms frm a new employer.

sounds to me as though he just exercised his right to get the best renumeration possible for his services.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Although in the end the club didn't have much choice, I don't think there's much doubt that Hammond wasn't being paid correctly or fairly given his ability and status as captain.

There comes a point when a homegrown youth player should start being paid as if they had been signed and brought in (if they are any good, anyway), and not to appropriately adjust their pay is just asking for trouble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here