Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was Hammond pushed out, and if so why?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I understand that Deano has told other players, via Facebook, that he was pushed out by the club.

Was he? If so, why?

Is it simply that we didn't want to risk him going on a free?

Or is it because we needed to recoup some of the transfer money we've splashed out?

Or something else?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
because we got quarter of a million for him, and it was obvious he not going to sign a contract between yesterday and the end of the season

business deal, dont think it was to recoup some of the Murray transfer as it was not funded by the club

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If he has said that then he's incredibly naive. What did he think the club would do once his agent issued them with that tenuous ultimatum? The club was the one put under pressure - sell him now for some profit, or let him walk out on a free in the summer.

It's a shame that our former captain has made such a mess of this whole situation, and he has gone down in my estimation because of it.

Papa

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
HUgely irresponsible, as I am sure they realise that it their messages are effectively open to the public. If he was forced to leave, then presumably that is because we couldn't match his or his agents demands.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe he was one of a handful of players causing unrest because he expected more money than the club was prepared to pay. Clearly we've just had a massive clearout and overhaul, so I wonder whether this is driven by the need to get rid of players looking for a decent pay day who were demoralising the rest of the squad.

Who knows who is in the right though - it's not as if anyone here knows what the market rate is for an average division 3 player - so we really can't make a proper judgement on this (if it is the case).

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Club's bigger than the player.The deal is extremely generous at our end.Well done again DK.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
He he was encouraged to leave then GOOD, he's not signed a new contract and we cashed in when we could. What's he worried about anyway? He's got the Championship football he wanted so, once again, he can go f*** himself.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sending private messages to your mates on facebook isnt that bizarre is it? I do it all the time!!

you dont send me messages racey

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I believe that he wanted to stay but Knight wanted money for him now.

Therefore he was pushed out which explains why he ended up at Colchester. What is better for him - four months playing in the championship for a team which appreciates him and earning more money, or four months rotting in the reserves with the fans getting on his back because the Chairman thinks he is leaving?

Four months in the championship, performing well will surely alert other clubs.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I believe that he wanted to stay but Knight wanted money for him now.

Therefore he was pushed out which explains why he ended up at Colchester. What is better for him - four months playing in the championship for a team which appreciates him and earning more money, or four months rotting in the reserves with the fans getting on his back because the Chairman thinks he is leaving?

Four months in the championship, performing well will surely alert other clubs.

This was going well until the last paragraph.

Stirring up a bit of hostility towards an ex-employer is a fairly frequent occurrence. It's not very professional and it's hardly the best way to exercise captaincy skills.

But, hey! It happens.

I hope it doesn't create any issues that linger on and affect future performances.

Hammond, as seems to be the case with a lot of young players with pushy agents, has handled the situation poorly. I've little doubt that he was pushed out of the club yesterday, but what did he expect DK to do? He refused to sign a contract, if he was still here now his value (in terms of transfer fee) to the club would be absolutely nil. He would never have been pushed out of the club if he had signed a contract in October!

Unfortunately Hammond (and/or his agent, but Hammond will have to take the fall) has been called on his assertion that he 'wanted the board to show more ambition'. They did, and he singularly didn't.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Morris you twat, the club can't afford to keep Hammond if he doesn't sign a contract. It's not rocket science. If he wanted to stay, a contract was offered with a get out clause. Read his last comments in the Argus, he clearly states he wants toplay in the championship and doesn't believe we will get there soon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here