Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

******** WARNING about what you post on NSC *******

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
NSC has had a warning from Google in relation to some content on the site and ads have been withdrawn.

As best I can tell this is not a permanent withdrawal currently, allowing me some time to do some 'cleaning'.

However, I need to reiterate, again, that if Google stop supporting NSC then NSC is likely to cease to exist as the site will be losing £300-£400 per month which I am both unwilling and unable to personally fund.

Please keep it clean on the main board - this is not a place to discuss violence, sex, the female form nor anything you may or may not want to be involved in with the female form. Excessive swearing is also not welcome. All such discussion may take place in our 'Other Stuff' forum, where we do not display Google ads.

If you ignore this, you will be banned immediately, as I value keeping NSC alive far more highly than the ability of one or two people to post here.

If you see anything you believe may contravene these rules, please report it immediately to give moderators a chance to take corrective action - do not rely on other people doing it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For discussion there are really only 2 forums on the site - this one and 'The Other Stuff'.

The other forums do not really host discussion in the same way.

This forum is where things have to be kept clean. On 'The Other Stuff' things are more relaxed.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Would it not be a good idea to have two forums - football & off topic - partly for this reason?

By doing this though are you not cutting the traffic on the main forum and cutting the advertising revenue?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's quite possibe for people to keep the off-topic post clean.

It is for the people who enjoy this place and actually give a damn about it.

For others though it's no skin off their nose if they post the kind of thing that puts the site in jeopardy.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Whilst I appreciate what Bozza is saying, and will support it, I STILL think it's a bit rich for Google to complain about "adult content" on here while constantly bombarding me with ads for Russian dating sites just because I live in Cyprus.

Do Google ads have an area for complaining about which ads I'm being sent? Surely if WE have to keep it clean, the ads they send should be clean as well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think we strike a pretty good balance between...

- What NSCers want - largely a single board where almost anything can be discussed.
- Adhering to the terms and conditions of Google's Adsense programme which largely finances the site.

I did have a discussion with the moderators recently and I was going to reiterate rules, and this has just kicked me into action.

I think we do go through a bit of a cycle...

1. Rules / warnings stated.
2. User behaviour changes and adheres to the rules. At the same time moderators are extra-vigilant.
3.After time, users slowly slip back a bit and moderation becomes lighter touch.
4. This continues until something happens that takes us back to 1.

We need to show a greater degree of consistency to try and stop 3 happening in the above cycle.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I am disappointed that people who work for Google have the power and right to moderate what they feel is appropriate content, but i also understand this site has running costs. Devil and the deep blue sea.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm a fairly smart bloke but I've no idea where the line is that Google are drawing. It is a football forum so I assume they are cognisant of that when dishing out their warnings. If it were a workplace forum a a huge amount of what's posted here would be unacceptable, but it isn't. Similarly if you go look at the Millwall forum as I did today then some of the stuff there is quite obviously unacceptable but I guess they are not relying on Google Ads?

Of course you can't cater for every case but are there some reasonably broad set of rules that can be set out ... or can examples of what's not acceptable (not the extremes just those marginals) be shown so we (I) can see where the line is? Pretty harsh to get a lifetime ban when you unwittingly posted something you thought would be OK - although I appreciate most is pretty obvious, some of the marginals might not be

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On right now (links removed)

Amazing Ukrainian Women - First-Class Ukraine Dating Service. Dazzling Women. Find your Princess

That's my fault, not Google's. I can choose ad types that can be allowed or blocked. To date, I've only blocked religious ads whilst stuff like 'Dating' and 'References to Sex & Sexuality' I've allowed to be shown. Dating ads are displayed 4.2% of the time and 'References to Sex & Sexuality' 1.1%.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am disappointed that people who work for Google have the power and right to moderate what they feel is appropriate content, but i also understand this site has running costs. Devil and the deep blue sea.

It won't be people, it will be an entirely automated process that works on key words and/or imagery.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Google are not dictating what content we can have. All they are doing is reserving their right not to advertise on a site which they feel has innappropriate content.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
That's my fault, not Google's. I can choose ad types that can be allowed or blocked. To date, I've only blocked religious ads whilst stuff like 'Dating' and 'References to Sex & Sexuality' I've allowed to be shown. Dating ads are displayed 4.2% of the time and 'References to Sex & Sexuality' 1.1%.

OK, fair enough, don't bother changing it, I'm not actually offended by the ads themselves, just what I'd perceived (wrongly as it turns out) to be Google's double standards.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I don't have an issue with dating sites being advertised, the sites are not offensive in themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here