Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

" Want Falmer " --- Objection .

Willow said:
And you don't get a crush like that unless people are forcing their way onto the terrace. Harsh but true.

But, again, ground management screwed up here - there was space in the terracing around the side of the central terrace. However, no barriers to separate the sections had been put in place, so that everybody, quite naturally (I would do this, you would do this, I suspect) tried to get near the centre. That is where the crush happened. It would still have been a mess, but not as bad a mess, if separation barriers had been in place (as they were in just about every other ground). Also, thousands of Liverpool fans had experienced problems getting into Hillsborough in the past because of management cock-ups at Wednesday, thus increasing the desperation of fans to make sure that they could get in. This is all in the Taylor Report.

Fundamentally, however, it was clearly the Police's fault. They were supposed to manage the safe passage of fans around and into the ground - instead they, as usual, saw thousands of football fans and thought 'mob'.

Well-managed terracing is as safe as any other run of the mill activity. Westdene is spot on when he says that making decisions about how football fans should experience a match (no matter how detrimental that might be) is considered preferable to changing the culture of policing football, despite the open stupidity displayed by the latter.

fatbadger said:

Well-managed terracing is as safe as any other run of the mill activity. Westdene is spot on when he says that making decisions about how football fans should experience a match (no matter how detrimental that might be) is considered preferable to changing the culture of policing football, despite the open stupidity displayed by the latter.

What do you think would happen if police or stewards tried to stop the "crowd surges" of the old North Stand? How can you manage that well? Football supporting is still primarily a young male domain and when the testosterone mixes with the alcohol and the euphoria of a goal, you cannot adequately control a terrace and ensure that no-one gets trampled/crushed. How many times after a goal did you end up in a different part of the North Stand without realising how you got there?

fatbadger said:

Well-managed terracing is as safe as any other run of the mill activity. .

And as anyone who experienced the terraces in the sixties, seventies and eighties can tel you, is that they were never safe.

Remember the disasters at Bolton, Ibrox, Heysel as well as Hillsborough

And they weren't safe because they could not be managed safely. The only way of controlling movement on a terrace was to put fences up either forward or sideways, - and the logical outcome of that happened at Hillsborough.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If the crush barriers are put in strategic places then terracing is safe.

That is what they are designed to do.

You can get crushed anywhere not just at a football ground.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Go to any rugby ground or racecourse in the country and you'll see vast amounts of terracing. All seater stadia were introduced in football to address the culture of football fans, not as a response to any dangers of the terraces themselves.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It really should be quite simple. If a terrace holds, say, 4,000 fans, then you issue no more than 4,000 tickets for that terrace. Where's the problem there ? We're all lumbered with buying tickets in advance for a seat at the moment anyway, so why not re-introduce terraces and do the same ?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Easy 10 said:
It really should be quite simple. If a terrace holds, say, 4,000 fans, then you issue no more than 4,000 tickets for that terrace. Where's the problem there ? We're all lumbered with buying tickets in advance for a seat at the moment anyway, so why not re-introduce terraces and do the same ?

far too logical for the likes of the police I think...

Re: " Want Falmer " --- Objection .

The Maharajah of Sydney said:
I replied to another post for the first time in a couple of months .
After posting , I then noticed an added notice to my pseudonym
which stated that I , " Want Falmer " .
This is a clear case of editorial interference . I have never shown any support for the proposed stadium at Falmer . I could
never support a stadium that failed to cater for a substantial terracing area within the ground . I was always under the impression that this was a site which encouraged free speech and fair , honest & controversial comment , with plenty of unsubstantiated rumours thrown in . To add the slogan , " Want Falmer " , without first seeking my acceptance as to whether I agree to the editorial policy of this website smacks of
autocracy .

ALLSEATER STADIUMS ARE SOULESS .

f***ing Aussies.

Terracing can be safe and should be re-introduced, I was at Bolton-Portsmouth last Satdi and the Reebok's a f***ing tremendous stadium, but part of the reason for the great atmosphere was because everyone was standing up off their seats for most of the match which is surely a lot less safe than standing up on properly designed terracing.

Check out the campaign for safe standing.

xx

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I agree absolutely that all seater stadia are soulless, antiseptic and vastly too expensive ticket wise. And Britain is the only country in Europe where they are obligatory.BUT we must get Falmer FIRST and deal with that issue afterwards!

Safe terracing is just that - safe. Borussia Dortmund, one of the biggest clubs in Europe, have a 26.000 capacity terrace for their home end. No complaints, no accidents, and a season ticket there costs.....£95. As has already been said the Taylor report was a stitch up and was tailored to Thatcher and Moynihan's anti football fetish. Once we HAVE Falmer I believe that the terracing issue will resurface in due course. ...

but let's get there first!

(God, I just reminded myself of Colin Moynihan. He should be thrown into the same chimpanzee-smegma filled bottomless pit as Archer, Bellotti and Stanley)

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
To the bloke in Sydney.........get a god damn life

You have been very quiet since it was pointed out to by Yorkie that "Want Falmer" is not a statement but in fact an opportunity for you to add your support to the campaign in some amusing/serious manner

And Safeway, don't back down on your "Aussies" comment, this bloke has obviously been on the beach too much and his brain has been fried

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
To the bloke in Sydney.........get a god damn life

You have been very quiet since it was pointed out to by Yorkie that "Want Falmer" is not a statement but in fact an opportunity for you to add your support to the campaign in some amusing/serious manner

Or opposition as the case may be. I have seen some dissenting comments.

There is a cpfc fan who has put a negative comment on for starters. :angry:

I have spotted a 'With terracing'

Does anybody else actually read the comments, locations etc?

Should admin remove them all? :p

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
The safe standing in Germany is only used for domestic games. In European games and Internationals you have to sit down and that's not very comfortable. The seats attached to the crush barriers are made of metal and are straight backed so it's like sitting in class, no slouching.
It's not just about standing. In Germany you can take your beers into the ground and get refills during the game. Before and after the game you can buy cans of lager from people selling them from supermarket trolleys as you make your way to the ground. Could you do that over here? I sometimes feel like the German authorities treat football supporters like adults over there, whereas they treat us like children over here. You can't do this, can't do that, can't stand here and if you do we'll fine you 80 quid. Do we deserve all this after all the trouble that went on during the 80's and still happens at some England games.
I'd love it if Falmer had safe standing behind the goals and you could take your plastic pint glasses into the stadium and watch the match whilst having a few drinks at the same time. I'd love it if we could bring flags into the ground. On consideration though, i'd say I wouldn't mind sitting on a spike so long as we got Falmer built.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
And Safeway, don't back down on your "Aussies" comment, this bloke has obviously been on the beach too much and his brain has been fried

yes well don't tar us all with the same brush now please :lol:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Easy 10 said:

Because with seating you have 4,000 people spread over the entire stand. With terracing you could suddenly (i.e. A goal) have 4,000 people in a quarter of the area.

HLB

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here