Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Walking in a Minteh wonderland

PlayMoran

May 19, 2023
I thought he would adjust to The PL a bit quicker than he has. He's a bit raw. But the talent is there.

Nice shape on his back post cross to Wlebeck. Saka-esque. And he played a nice inverted pass to Rutter for his shot that lead to Mitoma's double chance.

A few goals/assists will give him more confidence.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He arrived with no prem experience and one full season in the Dutch league.
Look at it like that and he’s doing ok .
It’s not his fault that we overpaid

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Way too long for our fans to stick with that in unison

The old elliot bennet runs down the wing for me tune may be possible but need a song with just 2 or 3 words for the masses to join in

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What you gain with Veltman in defensive stability, you lose in attacking support for Minteh. People are doubling up on him and we're missing the pacey overlap
Ipswich defended in numbers, generally, but they certainly didn't specifically double-up on Minteh - which they very much did on Mitoma.

Minteh was pretty underwhelming again, IMO. He needs a different 'trick' other than trying to run straight into the defender who stands him up. On the plus side - one terrific ball in to Rutter, that led to the Muric double save, and as everybody says, he works hard. Given his age and limited experience, he's understandably a raw work in progress.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Needs to shake that habit of nearly ALWAYS cutting back inside, a-la Mitoma. He has the pace and power to get round the fullback, drive to the byline and slam it across (as per the opening day at Goodison, where he had Mykolenko on toast).

I was left chewing my own FIST at the sheer number of shitty floaty crosses that went in from both flanks on Saturday as him and Karou constantly cut back.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Minteh in the Eredivisie was successful in 50% of the take-ons he attempted.

In the Premier League his success rate is just 23.5%.

Not a criticism, but a reason to give him time to adjust and realise that he needs to use his teammates more, now that he is playing at a higher level.

He needs to try more bounce passes and quick one-two's. When he does, he'll be immense.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Minteh just needs to slow his game down a tiny bit. At the moment his brain and his feet aren't always in co-ordination. It's not always about breakneck speed. You need to know exactly what you want to do with the ball and when.
He will learn. Knocky was similar until he learnt to slow down, keep it more simple and more accurate.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Whilst I understand that many are frustrated with him, he’s actually been a key part of a number of attacks over the first 2 home games. He put the ball in Welbeck’s head on 2/3 occasions against Man Utd and Ipswich, and played a great ball through to Ruttner who should’ve scored.

This is also a guy playing in a team that isn’t exactly sitting back and countering… he’s not being afforded a lot of space.

I think there’s a real player there. We just need to be patient.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Needs to shake that habit of nearly ALWAYS cutting back inside, a-la Mitoma. He has the pace and power to get round the fullback, drive to the byline and slam it across (as per the opening day at Goodison, where he had Mykolenko on toast).

I was left chewing my own FIST at the sheer number of shitty floaty crosses that went in from both flanks on Saturday as him and Karou constantly cut back.

And seemingly unable to adapt during the game, where were the football brains?

Muric had caught all our rubbish lofted crosses three yards out, how about making the next one totally different.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Overpaid?
Not rushing to judgement are we? 4 games in……..
It was a lot to pay for a player with no track record in a top league, and only a season in a league of any kind of standard (having cost Newcastle a pittance a year ago).
Which is not to say I’ve written him off, just that he will have to go some for it to be a bad deal for Newcastle.
Unlike , say, Mitoma and Caicedo who also had no high level experience and plenty of potential . But the prices we paid for them reflected that. They were unicorn deals though tbf.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ipswich defended in numbers, generally, but they certainly didn't specifically double-up on Minteh - which they very much did on Mitoma.

Minteh was pretty underwhelming again, IMO. He needs a different 'trick' other than trying to run straight into the defender who stands him up. On the plus side - one terrific ball in to Rutter, that led to the Muric double save, and as everybody says, he works hard. Given his age and limited experience, he's understandably a raw work in progress.

This. he has space down the line, but seems afraid to use it. In fact I’ve seen him go down the line once so far, vs Everton for Mitoma’s goal.

Every time he comes inside the opponents always have numbers……
It really is frustrating

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here