Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walkers Crisps SUCK!!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
MYOB said:
Cheese and Onion are RED. They were RED in 1953 when Tayto INVENTED them.

Must be a licencing deal that Walkers can't nick the Tayto colours without paying them more.
1953!!!! I remember when 'flavored' crisps (I use the word losely) first appeared in England and that wasn't until the mid-1960s. I suppose Ireland must take their beer snacks more seriously. In those days it was only Smiths and they were horrible! Then Golden Wonder appeared and the Crisp Wars began. One thing all sides agreed on though was that Salt 'n' Vinegar were blue, cheese 'n' onion were green, Roast Chicken were yellow and Smokey Bacon were brown. Other new-fangled flavors fitted in where they could. Walkers by swapping the colors for cheese 'n' onion and salt 'n' vinegar broke the International Crisp Color Coding convention but they were so good we forgave them

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Those are Walkers colours. As Tayto did most of those flavours FIRST, by MANY years, we should use their colours.

As I said, they invented the technique and the equipment for flavouring crisps, and their stuff is whats used today.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Brovian said:
1953!!!! I remember when 'flavored' crisps (I use the word losely) first appeared in England and that wasn't until the mid-1960s. I suppose Ireland must take their beer snacks more seriously. In those days it was only Smiths and they were horrible! Then Golden Wonder appeared and the Crisp Wars began. One thing all sides agreed on though was that Salt 'n' Vinegar were blue, cheese 'n' onion were green, Roast Chicken were yellow and Smokey Bacon were brown. Other new-fangled flavors fitted in where they could. Walkers by swapping the colors for cheese 'n' onion and salt 'n' vinegar broke the International Crisp Color Coding convention but they were so good we forgave them

Yes, 1953. Tayto brought out Cheese and Onion (in RED packets) and Salt and Vinegar (in BLUE packets).

Of course we take our beer snacks more seriously. We take our beer much less seriously though, no microbrewerys, no regional variations, etc.... Harveys as a concept would die in Ireland - a beer for a single county....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Golden Wonder I believe laid the path for Crisp Colour Coding. The foundations were set and carved in STONE for all to see. As Brovian correctly states, the code was first molested by Walkers, who in their wisdom, one day woke up and decided that Cheese & Onion should be in a BLUE bag, with Salt & Vinegar in a GREEN bag. They've been doing it for years now, but it is still an alien concept to me, and it still feels unnatural and uncomfortable when eating one of their varietys from a bag that is patently the wrong colour.

I tend to just look away and try to eat them blind.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
OK, they're Golden Wonders colours then. Then again, GW claim to have invented Cheese and Onion, despite their apparent year of invention being over ten years too late. So they can't be trusted.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I'm not going to argue about crisps with Easy. I still remember him LAYING into me on NSC when I said I didn't like Worcester Sauce Wheat Crunchies.

Golden Wonder are shit anyway. Their bags are always half-empty and the products within are often burned and flavourless.

I tend to buy Tesco snack products when looking for a potato based snack. A sizeable bag PACKED with those salted potato triangles is only about 50p. Sometimes I buy a whole tube of Pringles and gorge myself on them, devouring the contents of the tube all by myself.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Does anyone remember Golden Wonder "good n' crunchy" crisps which were a bran based recipe, around the mid-late 70's. I seem to remeber them being sold around the time I was at primary school. They sound disgusting but I thought they tasted great - especially the Salt & Vinegar flavour.

Also remember the KP crisps ad with monks in. Can you still get KP Crisps?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
I'm not going to argue about crisps with Easy. I still remember him LAYING into me on NSC when I said I didn't like Worcester Sauce Wheat Crunchies.
Yes, sorry about that.
Its an immotive subject, and feelings can sometimes run high.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Try new PAXO flavoured Walkers crisps...

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Ex Shelton Seagull said:

And well deserved by the sounds of it. How could you not like worcester sauce wheat crunchies :eek: ?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've had Tayto crisps in the Irish Republic.

Have to say I prefer Walkers.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Rangdo said:
And well deserved by the sounds of it. How could you not like worcester sauce wheat crunchies :eek: ?

I like Wheat Crunchies. Some of my favourite snacks are Wheat Crunchies. I often eat Wheat Crunchies.

I like Worcestershire Sauce. Put it on cheese on toast, mix it in whilst doing a stir fry. It's like a spicier version of soy sauce, one of my favourite Chinese origin sauces.

Put the two together and you should have a great snack combination.

Instead you have the most unholy combo since deep fried mars bars.

When Lea & Perrins first tried out Worcestershire sauce they found it was far too powerful to consume. instead they locked it away in the cellars. They re-opened it a few years later during a stock take and discovered that with age it had improved significantly.

It seems to me that the people behind Wheat Crunchies simply thought that by sticking a load of chemicals together you could re-create the sauce. Instead they've managed to reconstruct that historic first batch, when either Lea or Perrin caught a whiff and said "F*CK me that stinks!" and promptly threw it down the dungeons underneath the factory.

The stench that emerges from the packet is almost visible as the haze of Worcester sauce powder emerges into the air. The cloying gritty flavour that covers each wheat tube seems to coat the inside of the pack. The less said about the bitter aftertaste that is left behind cannot be removed with bleach.

Apart from that they're alright.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Totally agree xSS. Spicy tomato flavor wheat crunchies are THE BEST. Worcester sauce ones are a crime against nature and insult to the concept of salty, potato-based snack products.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Brovian said:
Totally agree xSS. Spicy tomato flavor wheat crunchies are THE BEST. Worcester sauce ones are a crime against nature and insult to the concept of salty, potato-based snack products.

Yes! I'm starting a movement, a cause, drawing a line in the sand! No more will this craven submission to the Worcestershire Sauce Crunchies go on!

BTW they're really a crime against salty, Wheat based snack products but i'm sure we can get them on a technicality with regards to potato based snacks.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
New Walkers PAXO crisps are ROYAL BLUE.

They're obviously running out of COLOURS.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
GUNTER said:
Does anyone remember Golden Wonder "good n' crunchy" crisps which were a bran based recipe, around the mid-late 70's. I seem to remeber them being sold around the time I was at primary school. They sound disgusting but I thought they tasted great - especially the Salt & Vinegar flavour.

Also remember the KP crisps ad with monks in. Can you still get KP Crisps?

The Real McCoys are made by KP and are the dogs danglers of all crisps - I won't buy anything else now !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here