Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wages not paid!?!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I had a lovely weekend thanks, i trust you did too.

Ben Roberts is a top signing, funnyhow he turned down an offer drom Charlton to come and play for us. Knoight must haveoffered him a rather good deal with the amount of clubs sniffing around him.

Forget Bobby, he wasn't happy here anyway.
Lets hope we can get somebody in that will go a long way to replacing him.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
This is such a non-issue. If the staff and players had not been paid at all, then I'd been concerned. BACS payments can be late for several reasons, usually human error 'cos someone got the dates mixed up, or there can be processing errors in creating the file, there could have have been a problem with the line for sending it, and sometimes even BACS themselves make a mess of things.

Stop banging on about it will you!!

:lolol:

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
Curious Orange said:
This is such a non-issue. If the staff and players had not been paid at all, then I'd been concerned. BACS payments can be late for several reasons, usually human error 'cos someone got the dates mixed up, or there can be processing errors in creating the file, there could have have been a problem with the line for sending it, and sometimes even BACS themselves make a mess of things.

Stop banging on about it will you!!

:lolol:

I agree, if the BACS went with the wrong date, then the wages would be late, as it cannot be cancelled. However, if it was not sent for some other reason, then CHAPS can pay into accounts held at clearing banks that day, so there is no reason to be late.

The reason why they were paid late could be that they were paid by Spurs as part of the Bobby deal????

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Mullers said:
I agree, if the BACS went with the wrong date, then the wages would be late, as it cannot be cancelled. However, if it was not sent for some other reason, then CHAPS can pay into accounts held at clearing banks that day, so there is no reason to be late.

The reason why they were paid late could be that they were paid by Spurs as part of the Bobby deal????

Don't be daft. Paying by CHAPS is expensive and can be a pain to arrange. If I were in the Albions position I'd let the BACS payments go through and offer to pay a couple of days interest instead, which would be by far the cheaper option.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I had a lovely weekend thanks, i trust you did too.

Ben Roberts is a top signing, funnyhow he turned down an offer drom Charlton to come and play for us. Knoight must haveoffered him a rather good deal with the amount of clubs sniffing around him.

Forget Bobby, he wasn't happy here anyway.
Lets hope we can get somebody in that will go a long way to replacing him.

I doubt it!:lolol:

He says he likes the players, and us fans! Oh, and he wants first team football! I think he feels that he can keep FDM out of the team.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Curious Orange said:
Don't be daft. Paying by CHAPS is expensive and can be a pain to arrange. If I were in the Albions position I'd let the BACS payments go through and offer to pay a couple of days interest instead, which would be by far the cheaper option.

No it's not, it's only a few quid. Cheap to keep the staff happy! The problem is it does not usually work with payroll software, so each payment has to be keyed by hand. However, with the clubs small payroll that should not have been an issue.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Mullers said:
No it's not, it's only a few quid. Cheap to keep the staff happy! The problem is it does not usually work with payroll software, so each payment has to be keyed by hand. However, with the clubs small payroll that should not have been an issue.

CHAPS is expensive when compared to BACS, and as you correctly point out the Albion probably don't have the software to use it automatically, making it an administrative nightmare. With the current base rate being as low as it is paying 4 days interest for even the top earning players would still be less than the cost of making the CHAPS payment in the first place (so there isn't any business sense in doing it when you know the BACS payments will go through) - and I know from personal experience that companies don't pay you any extra if you're paid a couple of days late anyway. It happens.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Curious Orange said:
CHAPS is expensive when compared to BACS, and as you correctly point out the Albion probably don't have the software to use it automatically, making it an administrative nightmare. With the current base rate being as low as it is paying 4 days interest for even the top earning players would still be less than the cost of making the CHAPS payment in the first place (so there isn't any business sense in doing it when you know the BACS payments will go through) - and I know from personal experience that companies don't pay you any extra if you're paid a couple of days late anyway. It happens.

Not in well managed companies!:lolol:

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Meade's_Ball said:
haha
Is he 7ft tall and 500lbs? And from 'Parts Unknown'?

Sounds about right.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This supposedly late payment is such a non-story. Never under DK's leadership have the players gone unpaid, we've left those days behind years ago. While we're not exactly flush, the club is being run sensibly on a fairly even keel financially. Would Ben Roberts sign for a club that is so hand-to-mouth that it has to sell its star striker before the rest of the squad gets paid ?
Would Steve Coppell sign up for another season at a club where the wages are being delayed ?

I don't think so somehow.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Mullers said:
Not in well managed companies!:lolol:

Especially in well managed companies!!!! The company I used to work for was massive, and got that way through tight fiscal policy, when they occasionally cocked up the payroll I got paid late, and I certainly didn't benefit from any interest/ex gratia payments out of it.

:lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Curious Orange said:
Especially in well managed companies!!!! The company I used to work for was massive, and got that way through tight fiscal policy, when they occasionally cocked up the payroll I got paid late, and I certainly didn't benefit from any interest/ex gratia payments out of it.

:lolol: :lolol:

Sorry mate, well managed companies do not make cock-ups with payroll! But, it they did, they would ensure that it was put right with the minimum impact on their valued staff! Your ex-employer may have been big, but that does not make them well managed!

beast

Banned
Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I KNOW A PLAYER WHO WAS A WEEK LATE GETTING PAYED THINK IT WAS JUST A MESS UP

Last edited:

Girl Friday

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Easy 10. It is not a non story. It gives an exact insight into why Bobby was sold. I’m sure his fee helped to offload the QC’s bills, but also ensured that next month the remaining players are actually paid. I see our situation abit like the A23. You cruise along thinking you’re making superb progress, but in the back of your mind you know Purley is going to hold you up. I can’t help but think the traffic is beginning to clear. Before you come out with the normal tirade that I’m a newcomer, I’m not, I’ve just logged on as something new.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here