Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wages and New Players

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is this going to be an issue forever with us preventing us from signing players ?

Other clubs have small gates but can sign players but as usual we take our time.

Will this be an issue for at least 2 seasons until Falmer is built.

Alternatively is it the boards fault as some NSC people always blame them ?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Beach Hut, have a look at my comment on the Scott Taylor thread.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yes and no.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Beach Hut said:
Is this going to be an issue forever with us preventing us from signing players ?

Other clubs have small gates but can sign players but as usual we take our time.

Will this be an issue for at least 2 seasons until Falmer is built.

Alternatively is it the boards fault as some NSC people always blame them ?
Questions do need to be asked as i gather certain costs on i.e the stadium have gone.

You see clubs who get sod all fans getting in new players etc who could do a good job,but i honestly believe the loyalty is getting beyond a joke at the club.:glare:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I don't think it is the boards fault at all, they will not allow the club to bankrupt itself by paying either stupid wages or trying to pay exorbitant transfer fees. I think we learnt our lesson with Paul Kitson, here was probably the biggest name to have signed for the club for years, look how much use he was, spent most of his time warming the bench or the physio's table, I am sure his wages were higher than most.

We have been to the brink once and spent many years staring into the abyss, there are quite a few clubs now in that position, we are not one and will not be joining them because we have learnt the lesson of the past.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Gully said:
I don't think it is the boards fault at all, they will not allow the club to bankrupt itself by paying either stupid wages or trying to pay exorbitant transfer fees. I think we learnt our lesson with Paul Kitson, here was probably the biggest name to have signed for the club for years, look how much use he was, spent most of his time warming the bench or the physio's table, I am sure his wages were higher than most.

We have been to the brink once and spent many years staring into the abyss, there are quite a few clubs now in that position, we are not one and will not be joining them because we have learnt the lesson of the past.
Yeah but what about blackwell and rodger thats 2 players missing a season??

Releasing players to get in new players is not bankrupting the club.???

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
AS quoted in another thread why oh why
have we kept players that we already know
that are not good enough for the 'champoinship' as
proved 2 seasons ago.
personally i think dick is still making
most of the player decisions

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
portslade seagull said:
personally i think dick is still making
most of the player decisions

McGhee picks the players - Dick Knight says if it financially viable or not.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that if I were in most of the players positions i.e married with mortgages and able to receive £2k per week why would I want to leave and go to another club on lower wages? Why not stay in the reserves and pick up that money for another year and then follow the route downwards. Where is there to go after BRIGHTON achoice of either Leyton Orient or Non League? Where do most of our explayers go NON LEAGUE. The argument against this is that I was once told that Clive Walker was on a higher wage at Woking than he got at Brighton so our wage structure is not new and I cant hold that against DK.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We just have to invest, or we will be racing certainties for the drop... sorry, but it makes financial sense to loosen the purse strings a little... we do get financial benefit from staying in the Championship, e.g. TV money...

Let's not make the mistake we did 2 seasons ago, and go in to a new season totally and utterly unprepared... the current squad is NOT good enough...

As MM said, we mustn't panic buy, but we mustn't be over-cautious on the player investment side either...

Footie suicide not an option... :shootself

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Berkshire, take your point about Rodger and Blackwell, however should we just release players from contracts because they aren't fit, we are their employer and as employees they have rights, particularly so when they are unable to ply their trade due to injury. In the case of those two, I am sure we are all agreed that they have given good Service to the club and we would have been stronger and more competitive last season had they been available for selection. Loyalty isn't a one way thing.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Gully said:
Berkshire, take your point about Rodger and Blackwell, however should we just release players from contracts because they aren't fit, we are their employer and as employees they have rights, particularly so when they are unable to ply their trade due to injury. In the case of those two, I am sure we are all agreed that they have given good Service to the club and we would have been stronger and more competitive last season had they been available for selection. Loyalty isn't a one way thing.
Yes agreed as i feel rodger and blackwell are two of the best we have looking at our squad and can be excused.

its the players like watson,hart,oatway,jones etc who have there days but just are not good enough.
Players need to perform for most of the season not the odd game here and there as on here you get people blabbing about how the player had a good game etc,well thats not good enough and as stated above somewhere who on earth would have these players as to be honest they would be lucky to get on the bench in the lower reaches of the 2nd.:drink:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Berkshire, don't think this happens just in football, the line of work I am in has a fair number of people just killing time until they leave with their pension/gratuity, with no chance of promotion they are just happy to draw their salary every month and turn up on time every morning.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Gully said:
Berkshire, don't think this happens just in football, the line of work I am in has a fair number of people just killing time until they leave with their pension/gratuity, with no chance of promotion they are just happy to draw their salary every month and turn up on time every morning.
Yes but you get paid to perform and if thats not the case you get shot,but of course we have had to many underperforming players of late and they still get contracts.

If you was under performing at a work place then surely the boss would give the chop,you don't get 1-2-3 year contracts at normal work places.

The problem is mc ghee said the players will get there chance in the first,so still makes you wonder if he has lost it completly or truth be told the potless situation is rearly the truth mmmm.

At the end of the day its the fans that keep this club going with huge prices and nothing else.Serious lack of communication yet again and another very quiet summer.:drink:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I take gullys point about loyalty but if my memory serves me well didn't Blackwell get injured whilst he was making up his mind whether or not to siogn another contract i.e commit himself to us.

Would it be synical of me to suggest that he hadn't signed because he was hoping something better would be offered by someone else and when he received his injury and the subsequent wages from the finiancial view point his prayers were answered. Obviously not from the playing point of view. Is he now committed to us as show of loyalty?

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
Take your point about certain players not being good enough for the championship / underperforming, but you have to honor their contracts - if you cancel them, you have to pay them up-front till the contract expires anyway.
There is five weeks to the new season & the club has said there will be new signings. Most of the payers who have moved so far were probably demanding more than we can give them anyway.

Be patient & then comment or criticise when (hopefully) new signings are made.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
We know we have players who have their days. They are not consistent every game.

Players who are consistent every game get contracts at bigger and better clubs.

If Chippy could score off every free kick he would be a Premiership player.
We are expecting a level of skill and consistency. They do not go hand in hand at this level.

We are a top div 2 and lower div 1 club. We cannot offer transfer fees as our budget means we save it for wages.
So we look for frees and loans.

What we do have is a team. Any club can have 11 indidividuals such as Bristol City but they didn't play as a team.
That counts for so much; ask the Greeks.

So what if we go down again? Personally I don't think we will. I can see McGhee getting the best out the players we have and with some astute loans we will be ok.
He is insisting on a level of fitness that the players haven't been used to. He's told them to shape up or not get new contracts.
That sounds good to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here