Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

VW Golf vs Polo

Dandyman

In London village.
Gully said:
A 2 litre Fiesta is a little frightening, they don't weigh that much, can't think that the road holding would be much cop either, bit like riding a missile with a Ford badge on the front.

:D Anyone had a go in a Mini Cooper S or Cooper Works ?

scooter1

How soon is now?
Gully said:
A 2 litre Fiesta is a little frightening, they don't weigh that much, can't think that the road holding would be much cop either, bit like riding a missile with a Ford badge on the front.

They're better than expected, still got masses of understeer - but you wouldn't want anything less. I think they'll be a "flashing blue light magnet" though, like the old 205's keeping the little buggers under 30mph is tough.

They're also something like group 18 insurance, not a problem when you're hitting 30......see other thread!!

Dandyman

In London village.
scooter1 said:
A mate of mine had the S works Cooper a few years ago and that was a bit scary - but then he drove like a C*NT, which didn't help

:D

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Blimey, mention a car and there's Authur Daley's everywhere ...

I've got a Mk IV Golf 1.9 TDI (53 plate) - its the 150 BHP turbo diesel and when I drive gently I can get 55 MPG - but when I choose to have a blast its v quick off the lights and will cruise at 120MPH with ease. Turbo picks up from about 1500 RPM so never gets bogged down like some diesels do.

6 gears, bucket seats, alloy wheels and utterly awesome road-holding.

Never driven a polo so couldn't comment on which is best ..... soz

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Jonathon Livingstone said:
I have a Golf 1.4 fsi and in terms of performance I wish I had gone for a Polo 1.4. The 1.4 engine is just not powerful enough for the heavy Golf. My advice.....if you're going to buy a Golf go for the 1.6 as a minimum.

4 motion Golf is the way to go - loads of power just a shame about the fuel comsumption and the insurance.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Icy Gull said:
Not the recent ones, that is a fallacy from the 70's and 80's but 2nd hand prices are rock bottom because of it, cheap motoring with a bit of spirit in the car :thumbsup:

I work for a breakdopwn company and believe me Alfa breakdowns are regular and expensive in general.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Alfas had a reputation for rusting, something to do with them being left outside in the wind and rain between when the base coats and top coats of paint were applied. They have always built cars that look good, unfortunately they can't get over the dodgy reputation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gully said:
Alfas had a reputation for rusting, something to do with them being left outside in the wind and rain between when the base coats and top coats of paint were applied. They have always built cars that look good, unfortunately they can't get over the dodgy reputation.

Buying Russian steel that was already starting to rust before the car was even built I think. That was back in the 70's at the time of the Alfasud. These days they are galvanised and not only do they look good they are so much more fun to drive than 90% of their, admittedly, more reliable rivals. Their sales in the UK over the last two years is better than ever so the old prejudices are slowly being overcome.

I don't work for Alfa btw :)

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Goring Gull said:
4 motion Golf is the way to go - loads of power just a shame about the fuel comsumption and the insurance.

very true, I get driven to work in one :)

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Old dear's got a 2003 Polo Sport as a company car. Top of the range at the time, 100 bhp, sports suspension....... f***ing PIECE OF SHIT!

You have no choice but to pull off at 4000 rpm if you want any sort of performance, can't get up the hill towards Hollingbury on the 27 without dropping down to 4th, drinks oil as quick as petrol and the ECU light comes on all the time!

Do NOT buy a POLO! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Well, my Polo's eight years old, has never broken down or not started first time, is as happy cruising along at 110mph on the Autobahn as it is around town, will do another 50-100,000 miles if I want it to and cost me £2500. I love it. Chacun a son gout, as they say.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I don't have a VW, but can I join in with a VW related tale?

A farmer friend of mine popped round the other day, and they just happened to have a copy of one of the agricultural trade magazines with them. They left it on the side and the ad on the back cover was for a German pig-food supplement, with the strap-line: VORSPRUNG PORK TECHNIQUE

That's all I know

Last edited:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Springal said:
Yea cos the new SEAT Ibizas are so uncool :lolol:

they also do them at 0% finance atm, with only a 25% deposit needed

There is no such thing a 0% finance. It will cost them at least 10% if you're doing it over a few years so thats how far overpriced they are!:glare:

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Clio Sport. Yum Yum

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

Only joking, that's good advising right there. Certainly something to think about over my impending crisp sandwich.

what flavour crisps did you put in your sandwich?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here