Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

VW Golf vs Polo

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Why don't you get a Seat, exactly the same cars but you get a lot more for your money ..

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Surely these cars come with seats included anyway?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Icy Gull said:
and even cheaper...a Skoda , same car no cred

You'd be better off buying an Alfa, at least you won't be bored to death by the car on a long journey :)

Mainly cos the alpha will break down before you can get any distance

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Voroshilov said:
Mainly cos the alpha will break down before you can get any distance

Not the recent ones, that is a fallacy from the 70's and 80's but 2nd hand prices are rock bottom because of it, cheap motoring with a bit of spirit in the car :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
They're both massively overpriced. That's a lot of wonga you're spunking on a set of fairly average wheels.

I'm not saying veedub's aren't reliable and "safe" investments but you could get something a little older but about 10 times as exciting for the money, or something just as reliable and new, for half the cost.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Icy Gull said:
Not the recent ones, that is a fallacy from the 70's and 80's but 2nd hand prices are rock bottom because of it, cheap motoring with a bit of spirit in the car :thumbsup:

So why do they still do so badly on reliabilty and satisfaction tests then?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Voroshilov said:
So why do they still do so badly on reliabilty and satisfaction tests then?

They need looking after, drive it like a rep's car and never lift the bonnet, it'll let you down. So I'll rephrase it.. buy an Alfa if you're willing to adhere to service schedules and check oil and water levels occasionally :)

Last edited:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Chappers i have to drive a polo round because it's my girlfriends car and i have to say it's bloody good and with no complaints.But i crave a golf (min 1.6).
You can have it for £6,000 (2001,21000miles,dark blue) if you want.

(Will i get a good golf for £7000 if i put in the extra?)

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Ive got a VW POLO 1.6 GTI. Got it for under 5000 grand (2000 model). Alot lighter than a GOLF and goes like the clappers. That is all....

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have a Golf GTTDi, 130 Bhp model, the same model as Titanics' Wife. Have to say that I love it, easily the best car I have owned, pretty pokey too...bear in mind that my last car was a BMW 320dSE. Would definitely buy another VW without even pausing for thought. The price quoted for the Golf seems pretty reasonable, I paid 11k for mine when it was two years old late in 2004 and that was a good price given its condition, mileage and the cost of alternatives.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Stear clear of the Scotch & Soda, may be built by VW but they are still shit quality, and the reason cabbies all use em is cos they were all duped into thinking it was a de-badged VW with VW build quality. Use the money to buy the best Audi A3 1.9Tdi you can get your hands on.

And being as I always seem to be the last to post every thread, i'll assume this one is now closed......

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I drove one of them about 15 years ago, belonged to a mate, was frighteningly fast...especially when you consider that the body is about the same thickness as baking foil...and would probably provide as much protection in a crash.

Dandyman

In London village.
Gully said:
I drove one of them about 15 years ago, belonged to a mate, was frighteningly fast...especially when you consider that the body is about the same thickness as baking foil...and would probably provide as much protection in a crash.

If you mean the 205, I managed to spin one at night on the M23 (my own fault I have to admit) and lived to tell the tale.

A 205 1.6 Gti is one of the all time classics.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The one I drove was the 1.9 version, my mate told me to "go through the gears" as we pulled away from some traffic lights, I glanced at the speedo and we were doing over a ton, frighteningly quick, didn't like being driven round town or at speeds lower than about 70 mph.

Dandyman

In London village.
Gully said:
The one I drove was the 1.9 version, my mate told me to "go through the gears" as we pulled away from some traffic lights, I glanced at the speedo and we were doing over a ton, frighteningly quick, didn't like being driven round town or at speeds lower than about 70 mph.

:D Sounds familiar.

I had a 1.6 and later a 1.9. The 1.9 was probably over-powered but great fun. The 1.6 as a second hand option was always more sensible as it was less likely to have had the engine thrashed to bits. I'm not sure what the modern equivalent would be but would love to find out !

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If you want a diesel, buy a Peugeot. Fact!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
A 2 litre Fiesta is a little frightening, they don't weigh that much, can't think that the road holding would be much cop either, bit like riding a missile with a Ford badge on the front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here