Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vuvuzelas

Vuvuzelas!

• YES!

Votes: 43 16.5%
  • NOOO!

Votes: 218 83.5%

• Total voters

How many vuvuzela polls are we going to have in this World Cup?

I was contemplating starting a new one:-

When Tom Hark Preston Park is banned, should it be:-

From Withdean for suggesting that the damn things should be handed out there?

Or from NSC for using Ask The Club as the place to put forward that stupid idea?

Cheeky Chappie

Sep 27, 2007
I can't handle the racket any more. Drives you up the wall. Agree with idea of breaking them things in half and stuffing them up the culprit's arse. It would be good if there's one left over for Clive Tydelsely.........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hate them, ruin the atmosphere.

You can't here any bloody singing or excitment in the crowd they drown everything out.

Er, they are the atmosphere. Cant folk just accept the tournament is in Africa and they might like to create an atmosphere in a different way to other continents? FIFA have homogenised the insides of grounds in every other aspect with only their 'partners' products on sale....so let's try and keep hold of something specific to the region.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Er, they are the atmosphere. Cant folk just accept the tournament is in Africa and they might like to create an atmosphere in a different way to other continents? FIFA have homogenised the insides of grounds in every other aspect with only their 'partners' products on sale....so let's try and keep hold of something specific to the region.

Here here!!! ===========================<()

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
All was going well in my local last night, pre kick off and then the landlady handed out a box of the bloody things. It's not the biggest pub in the world and it was bloody annoying!!:rant: South Africa is my favourite foreign country, but I don't care if I never hear one of those things again :rant:

bringing mine to withdean next year :clap:

I expect they will be BANNED.

Football Diary - Telegraph

Football Diary

By Martin Smith
Published: 10:15PM BST 24 Apr 2003

The band banned

Sheffield Wednesday went down to the Second Division in comparative silence the other day. Their indefatigable 17-piece brass band was reduced to just two - a drummer and the euphonium player - after Brighton refused them admission to Withdean Park with their instruments. "Wednesday always contact the other club on our behalf," said band leader John Hemmingham, "and we've never had a restriction like this before. Clubs normally say yes or no. It all seems a bit strange." The band double up on official international duty for England matches.

Explaining Brighton's refusal, safety officer Richard Hebberd said: "We had to bear in mind that they would be in a stand without a roof, less than 100 metres from houses, on a Bank Holiday. Allowing the band in would have been unfair on our neighbours." Anyway, their theme, Escape to Victory, would have been inappropriate.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I expect they will be BANNED.

Football Diary - Telegraph

Football Diary

By Martin Smith
Published: 10:15PM BST 24 Apr 2003

The band banned

Sheffield Wednesday went down to the Second Division in comparative silence the other day. Their indefatigable 17-piece brass band was reduced to just two - a drummer and the euphonium player - after Brighton refused them admission to Withdean Park with their instruments. "Wednesday always contact the other club on our behalf," said band leader John Hemmingham, "and we've never had a restriction like this before. Clubs normally say yes or no. It all seems a bit strange." The band double up on official international duty for England matches.

Explaining Brighton's refusal, safety officer Richard Hebberd said: "We had to bear in mind that they would be in a stand without a roof, less than 100 metres from houses, on a Bank Holiday. Allowing the band in would have been unfair on our neighbours." Anyway, their theme, Escape to Victory, would have been inappropriate.

I thought that was an obvious Easy10 windup..!

Anyway, just found this:

[yt]M3xDWk9vbNw[/yt]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they are really starting to grate, to the point of impairing the enjoyment of the game. its a shame but i think this WC might be rememberd for the shitest atmosphere with that stupid non stop din. question is will i enjoy with sound off? should i have to?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I really want to say they add something differnt to the atmosphere and should be kept because it's the South African's 'thing', but I can't. They're genuinely ruining it a bit now.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

I'm not an expert but I doub vuvuselas are exactly specific to the region. When they cut round to the African fans without them they look to be creating much more of an atmosphere - compared to the fans who have been sold some cheap bit of plastic which makes every single countries fans sound exactly the same.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I've been to a few football matches in Africa - in Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana and Cameroon - and all had a cracking atmosphere without a Vuvuzela in sight. If its typically African, its because its typically South African.

Second, if its their culture, then fine, I respect their right to play it. Doesn't take away from the fact its a horrible noise.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So irritating that I am turning the volume right down and already starting to weigh up whether I want to watch a game badly enough to accept the noise of what sounds like thousands of bees around my head for 90 mins.

Did someone say the were banned in Australia? Got that one right if so :angry:

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
its a relatively new thing to south african football. probably came about when they won the world cup bid and decided to be a bit quirky and in your face like africans like to be. south african rugby banned the vuvuzela and they have fine atmospheres. theres a point where it goes from tradition to annoying. how would you have liked the 94 world cup with air horns going off every second. maybe that is what it will take to ruin the africans parade. get a bunch of airhorns and drown out the sound of the vuvuzela.

May 22, 2008
So irritating that I am turning the volume right down and already starting to weigh up whether I want to watch a game badly enough to accept the noise of what sounds like thousands of bees around my head for 90 mins.

Did someone say the were banned in Australia? Got that one right if so :angry:

cant agree more! this is killing the greatest show on earth !

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
absolute crap, hated them after about five minutes of france v uruguay and with them and the crap ball its turning out to be a crap world cup :tantrum: :tantrum:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They would add to the atmosphere if the noise came at approriate times and was interspersed with cheering, booing and singing. It's the relentless hum of them that really really grates and is staring to turn me off from watching some games. I can't believe anyone with a bit interest in the game would want to stand there blowing a tuneless trumpet for 90 mins!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here