Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Votes for 16 year olds

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just because they are taxed if they buy some sweets, doesn’t merit them the right to vote as they are not mature enough to do so. Whereas, 16 year olds have greater independence and maturity and so should be able to vote on issues that directly affect them.
Your experience of 16 year olds is different to mine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m in favour. People who aren’t politically switched on wouldn’t vote anyway. There are millions of completely uneducated, easily manipulated fools in this country that get to vote so why shouldn’t that right go to younger people whose lives are proportionally more affected by the results of said elections.
Age isnt the issue it's stupidity. I'd bring in a voting test, only when you have passed this can you go out and vote.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A 12 year old can earn over the threshold and pay income tax.

Should a 12 year old be able to vote?

If 16, why not 12, or 14?

https://www.thp.co.uk/children-aged-under-18-income-tax-national-insurance/#:~:text=Children%20aged%20under%2018%20and%20tax%20–%20Income%20Tax%20and%20National,and%20pay%20no%20income%20tax.
12 and 14 year olds don't pay National Insurance.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
It's gerrymandering.

If the demographic wasn't overwhelmingly going to vote more for Labour, they simply wouldn't propose it.

Dont mind Sir Keir generally, but this is nothing more than his plan to entrench himself in power.
Said it before, but why don't the Tories do something to appeal to younger people? See it as an opportunity.

Oh, that's right. They hate young people.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I think votes at 12.

You’re in Year 7 so at a big school, you have independence and have learnt lots, you can also drink alcohol at home.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
12 and 14 year olds don't pay National Insurance.
Ah so we are judging votes on wealth now?

Should a poor person who doesn’t pay NI not be able to vote?

Maybe only rich people with land should be able to vote if we are basing voting off of wealth…

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I love the way this is considered worth doing, but reform of the voting system so that more people's votes actually influence the outcome is apparently "not a priority".

Just a few more people turning up who might as well stick their ballot paper up their arse as in the box for all the difference it makes.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ah so we are judging votes on wealth now?

Should a poor person who doesn’t pay NI not be able to vote?

Maybe only rich people with land should be able to vote if we are basing voting off of wealth…
Only if you choose to base it on who is actually paying National Insurance (which isn't what I was arguing) rather than who is eligible to pay National Insurance, which is anyone over 16 (and which I was arguing).

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I understand that's one of Labour's ideas (sorry if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't see one).

Personally I'm not in favour, based on the fact that they have such little adult life experience (some won't even have taken their GCSEs) and they haven't been exposed to the breadth of political discussion that most of us only got in our first few years at work or during 'free periods' in the 6th Form.

Also, is there any robust evidence that they really are, on the whole, 'left-leaning'? (which seems to be the rationale behind the suggestion).
The flip side is that 16 year olds never got a chance to vote in/out of Brexit which arguably had the biggest influence on their future life choices. For that reason alone I’m in favour of giving them the vote.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Those begrudging over 80s the vote. They have long life experience and should surely be trusted more than 16year olds !!
I think 18 is right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here