Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Votes for 16 year olds

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
“No taxation without representation” used to be a thing

16 year olds can work full time and pay income tax / NI as a result. Therefore they should get a say in how it’s spent.
I’d love to know how many 16 year olds in the UK actually pay any tax though 😂, my three ‘young adults’ 20, 24 & 29 all at University (with the eldest never having a full time job) haven’t paid any tax in their lives to my knowledge 😂😂😂😂

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
if you're old enough to work then you're old enough to vote in my opinion

ultimately if the Tories are worried about Labour getting a load of new voters, how about they actually propose policies that are attractive to young people?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I’m in favour. People who aren’t politically switched on wouldn’t vote anyway. There are millions of completely uneducated, easily manipulated fools in this country that get to vote so why shouldn’t that right go to younger people whose lives are proportionally more affected by the results of said elections.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Let me see. Votes for 16 year olds versus, well I buy the Daily Mail but only really for the puzzles. At least 16 year olds might be inspired to open their minds a little.

Yep expand the franchise.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
although you suggest that they would tend to vote Conservative if the current party had a more extreme right wing leader like Thatcher, which I guess is the opposite to what Starmer thinks.

If you actually read what I wrote, you'll see that I didn't say that.....

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Whereas I knew absolutely everything by the age of 15, was keen to inform anyone and everyone where they were going wrong, and would have relished a vote :lolol:
Oh well, thank heavens for small mercies, that you and probably 99% of us now bullshitting away on NSC, didn’t have the chance to vote.😁👍

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I personally think it's ridiculous. Remembering back to being 16 I wouldn't have had a clue. I was more interested in football, girls and trying to get served in wine rack! Having fun as a 16 year old.
As a parent of 2 children now beyond 16, I wouldn't have seen them being ready to vote.
While there are no doubt children of 16 who get it, I'm confident many won't give a care to politics and don't have the life experience to make an informed choice. I was probably still politically niave into my early 20s.
Absolutely ridiculous policy, I see being in service being mentioned as an argument for dropping voting age, they can't be deployed until they are an adult at 18 years old.
Kids are more politically switch on today than we were, mainly due to the clusterfuck of Brexit, criminality of government during covid, the behaviour of the political class at the moment, Ukraine and Palistine.They have grown up with this bollocks being rammed down there throat 24/7 so yes they are engaged. Should they vote at 16? not sure but they have as much right as some senile old fart in their dotage.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
“No taxation without representation” used to be a thing

16 year olds can work full time and pay income tax / NI as a result. Therefore they should get a say in how it’s spent.
The word there is CAN.

I agree, IF they are working then they can vote. No job, no vote.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I’d love to know how many 16 year olds in the UK actually pay any tax though 😂, my three ‘young adults’ 20, 24 & 29 all at University (with the eldest never having a full time job) haven’t paid any tax in their lives to my knowledge 😂😂😂😂
Out of interest, do they pay university fees?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Not full time under 16, and NI isn’t paid by under 16s
A 12 year old can earn over the threshold and pay income tax.

Should a 12 year old be able to vote?

If 16, why not 12, or 14?

https://www.thp.co.uk/children-aged-under-18-income-tax-national-insurance/#:~:text=Children%20aged%20under%2018%20and%20tax%20–%20Income%20Tax%20and%20National,and%20pay%20no%20income%20tax.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
If I give my 5 year old some pocket money and they buy some sweets, they are taxed in it. So by rights, my 5 year old should have the right to vote.
How many 5 year olds work? And how many 5 year olds serve in the army?

Just because they are taxed if they buy some sweets, doesn’t merit them the right to vote as they are not mature enough to do so. Whereas, 16 year olds have greater independence and maturity and so should be able to vote on issues that directly affect them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here