Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vistaaaaaargh!!!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Honestly the most painful piece of shit operating system I've ever had to use. It warns you about EVERYTHING... I can't turn on my pc without at least 15 balloons popping up to tell me that there's updates ready, or that my files might not be safe, or that i should check my computers security, or that i need to make a backup.. and norton antivirus.. well, works fine when you've paid for it, but as soon as that year is up.. it's less painful to have a virus!!

I hate it! not everyone is an absolute spaz when it comes to computers I don't need Bill Gates to hold my hand all the way through it!

Aaaaarrgh!!

..ah that's better.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
still on XP SP3, wont go to Vista if I can help it!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I Love Vista me, so much nicer to use than XP or OSX (IMO of course) . Funny how it divides people isnt it? Upgraded to Vista Ultimate on day one, gave my Mac away, perfectly happy.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I didn't intend to go to Vista but my new PC came with it. At first I hated it, but now I like it.

I've had no problems with it either

(cue major crashes and loads of irritating bugs)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
XP and Ubuntu. Do the job without being flash.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
If you have a look around on the MS forums and various other websites there are registery tweaks that can turn off the balloon pop ups. Might be worth looking at.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'll have a look round. I just find it so frustrating. Granted when it's working it is a nice OS, but theres too many annoying things in it, they seem to have reduced functionality and added dumbed down options (as they've done with the new MS office aswell). i'm looking forward to Windows 7 personally.

I just want to turn it on, and get on with what I want to do and not be interrupted by anything and everything every 5 bloody seconds.

If anyone's got any tips on how to get rid of the balloons feel free to message me.

ta!

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Vista is already being phased out from next year, for 'Windows 7'... which is probably just Vista 1.5, but takes a lot to ms to back out from Vista, shows what a fiasco the things been...

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I could not agree more. It's slow even with the stupid widgets turned off, even with 2GB of ram. And what's the deal with extracting files, so bloody slow. I ended up downloading winrar. I have no choice but to use Vista for work. The motherboard does not have drivers for Windows XP anywhere. They don't do them. Again it's just another way to lock users down to Microsoft latest operating system.

On the other hand, I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my home PC. It has found all my hardware, wireless network without needing any drivers whatsoever.

Desktop effects are installed and run brilliantly and make Vista look like a complete and utter joke. It now runs Dreamweaver MK & Photoshop CS without any problems whatsoever as well which never happend 2 years ago without a lot of faffing around.

The only thing I cannot do, is listen to Seagulls World, due to the pathetic Licence you need to download, that only works with Media Player. This is the sort of shit that is making people move away from Microsoft very slowly.

No need for anti spyware shit, anti virus. What a nice relief.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
.. and norton antivirus.. well, works fine when you've paid for it, but as soon as that year is up.. it's less painful to have a virus!!

Get shot of Norton and use the free AVG anti virus software :thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I installed Vista 64 purely for professional reasons. It's a pain I agree, apart from anything else it's a nightmare for drivers not to mention the large amount of software that is not backward compatible. As it is I doubt very much that many large organisations will be installing it because of the numerous legacy issues. I would say stick with XP and frankly I can see no advantages to be gained from Vista. Wait until Microsoft bring out it's replacement or try Ubantu or Linux. If you can afford it I would even consider Mac for a quiet (if slightly isolated) life.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Still on XP, and intend to be so until I see what Windows 7 is like. Vista from the few times I've worked with it is a slow, comical pile o' shite.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I like vista, but I am regretting paying actual money for Norton Antivirus (I wouldn't have had I know that it only works for a year). I think it would be best to delete it and go back to the free virus programme I used on my old computer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here