Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vistaaaaaargh!!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wait until Microsoft bring out it's replacement or try Ubantu or Linux. If you can afford it I would even consider Mac for a quiet (if slightly isolated) life.
Ubuntu is a Linux implementation, Frank. (I still use Debian myself). But your point stands, Vista is pure shite and I'd use Mac, XP, Linux or Unix ahead of Vista. I'd love to know who thought it would be a good idea to create an operating system that requires 2 gig of ram or whatever.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Ubuntu is a Linux implementation, Frank. (I still use Debian myself). But your point stands, Vista is pure shite and I'd use Mac, XP, Linux or Unix ahead of Vista. I'd love to know who thought it would be a good idea to create an operating system that requires 2 gig of ram or whatever.

It really is a monumental cock up by Gates' people and the proof of the pudding is that few organisations are planning to implement it. The only way to get it relatively trouble free is to buy a new PC with it on, bearing in mind that a lot of your old hard and software still won't work with it. Migrating to it is very unwise.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
It really is a monumental cock up by Gates' people and the proof of the pudding is that few organisations are planning to implement it. The only way to get it relatively trouble free is to buy a new PC with it on, bearing in mind that a lot of your old hard and software still won't work with it. Migrating to it is very unwise.

There are two main reasons companies and organisations dont use Vista-firstly you need at least 2GB of RAM to run it (how many of you guys have that in your work pc's) and secondly its an absolute whore to network. If things run nicely on XP then theres no need to pay loads to upgrade. Exactly the same with Server 2003/8.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I find that once you've turned off all the warnings and get used to the fact that it takes 4 hours for your PC to boot up (which encourages you to leave it on all the time) Vista is ok but to be honest I'm not sure what it adds to XP. They are already touting the next version which is supposed to be a maintenance release at the end of next year (i.e. remove all the crap and turn it into a decent new OS)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
On the other hand, I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my home PC. It has found all my hardware, wireless network without needing any drivers whatsoever.

Desktop effects are installed and run brilliantly and make Vista look like a complete and utter joke. It now runs Dreamweaver MK & Photoshop CS without any problems whatsoever as well which never happend 2 years ago without a lot of faffing around.

You're running Dreamweaver under Ubuntu? How do you do that? With Wine?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I installed Vista 64 purely for professional reasons. It's a pain I agree, apart from anything else it's a nightmare for drivers not to mention the large amount of software that is not backward compatible.

I have had no backward compatibility problems, yet. Just installed Vista 64bit on a new 6000+ Dual Core with 8GB Ram. Hoping not to have any problems with it running Vista, as for compatible I have installed Photoshop, Illustrator CS2, Corel X3 and Office 2003, no problems so far.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have Vista Premium and have got used to it . Windows 7 will be available in about 12 months and is basically an upgrade of Vista with some added tweaks. Vista is already in its death throes as it has failed to be the natural successor to XP amongst the business world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here