Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo says farewell

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Virgo scored a few high profile goals, when he played upfront. He hasn't achieved much else, although always tries hard. The £1.5m thing was hugely fortunate for us. For his true value, take a zero off.
I'd like to think we could do better but I've thought that before when we've got rid of players, and we haven't.

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If it's true about AV going - & I think it highly likely tbh - then good luck to him on his future footballing journey. I won't repeat what others have said concerning his contribution at The Albion, but I do think that he's been going backwards here for a while now & a fresh start would be best for all parties imho. He's gonna be the first of a fair few once-regular faces that will be out the door quite honestly, but at least they've been given a good crack o' the whip over the last few seasons. If Gus can bring in better quality players as replacements for any member of our current squad, then I for one am all for it. Football can be a cruel beast at times - but there's nothing more cruel (especially to us supporters) than to hold on to individuals who continue to struggle for any type of form. Onward & upwards, hopefully..

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There's a big article about it in the Anus

Ordinarily you might expect a player scoring four goals, even a lazy disrespectful one, to be the biggest talking point of an away win.

It should certainly rank above one of his team-mates taking his shirt off.

But Adam Virgo’s gesture to throw his jersey into the crowd at the end of the Wycombe game, and what it means about the ex-skipper’s future, has been the hottest point of debate among Seagulls fans ever since.

The shirt was a nice present for someone and a way of saying thanks to the travelling fans, according to boss Gus Poyet.

Possibly a way of celebrating his first minutes of league action since Russell Slade’s final game in charge.

Or, the most popular theory, that he was doing a Bas Savage (remember Christmas 2007?) and handing over his shirt by way of farewell.

Poyet laughed that last theory off when questioned, and questioned a second time, after the game.

He went on to praise Virgo’s performance in his short spell on the pitch True, giving away a shirt does not always mean a player is off.

Liam Dickinson did exactly the same right in front of the press box on Saturday and it was not presumed he was leaving the club.

But, at the very least, what happened before and after the 5-2 win at Wycombe posed the question: What now for Virgo?

What happened after the game looked like goodbye.

What happened before, with team selection, was also intriguing.

The battle for a central defensive spot always looked like being a case of two from three this season.

Tommy Elphick and James Tunnicliffe are clearly Gus Poyet’s chosen pairing and have been given a run in the side.

That will have come as a blow to Virgo, who was bitterly disappointed to be left out for the game in which everyone was desperate to play at Southampton.

But it is what has happened since which has underlined the fact he did not seem to have much of a role under the new boss.

The only time he got on the pitch was for the unconvincing FA Cup defeat of Rushden and Diamonds.

Albion had a central defensive berth to fill at Wycombe with Tunnicliffe reporting back pains after the Orient game.

But two from three was suddenly two from four and it was Adam El-Abd, a man who has made real progress under Poyet, who got the nod and did pretty well.

So Virgo was left on the bench, as he was for the later stages against Orient when Poyet needed to send on someone to bolster midfield after Andrew Crofts was sent off.

He is not the only one who has struggled to get a look in of late.

Andrew Whing, helped by Gavin Hoyte’s three-game ban, started the first four fixtures of Poyet’s reign but has not played since a difficult evening at Norwich seven matches ago.

Kevin McLeod was given plenty of chance to impress wide on the left in four of Poyet’s first six fixtures, be it as starter or off the bench, but has not been seen in the last six.

David Livermore and Jake Wright, two players hindered by the lack of reserve team action, have done no better than sitting unused on the substitutes’ bench.

But it is the demise of Virgo, an Albion hero back in the 2004 play-offs against the six fingered denizens of Swindon, and acclaimed as a key signing when he returned south in 2008, which has been most striking.

We do not know yet whether he was saying goodbye, although it looked like it.

Nor do we know, if it was farewell, whether he knows he is off in January or just suspects as much.

If he is going, did Poyet send him on with the game won as a goodbye? Or to tell potential purchasers they were paying for a first-teamer, not a forgotten man?

And if we have all put two and two together to make three, how will Virgo react to slipping another place down the centre-back rankings?

However you look at it, a home grown favourite is standing at the crossroads with the transfer window about to open and a new manager looking to do business.

And that has to be worth filling space about. (is that enough Ed? AN)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I really like the bloke. There was of course that goal - but he was outstanding that entire match. He had a real battle against that Parkin lump and was heroic. Then to score. It was an important moment for the club for which he should always be treated with respect.

The manager wanted him to switch positions - no problem. I know it has not always worked out since he has been back - a settled position would have helped. And that comment about Slade was a bit of a worry - but no major issue.

If he goes - he will always get respect from me. And if he stays - we should be pleased to have him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If it had not been on here, no way would Naylor run with that. God he is a slouch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My opinion of Virgo:

1. Did great first time around.
2. Thanks for the £1.5million transfer fee - that was vital and will never be forgotten.
3. Very poor second time around.

In summary: Not a legend but a local boy who made it through the ranks and had a couple of good seasons a few years ago. Will be remembered for the transfer fee and that goal against Swindon but nowhere near the Albion Hall Of Fame.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My opinion of Virgo:

1. Did great first time around.
2. Thanks for the £1.5million transfer fee - that was vital and will never be forgotten.
3. Very poor second time around.

In summary: Not a legend but a local boy who made it through the ranks and had a couple of good seasons a few years ago. Will be remembered for the transfer fee and that goal against Swindon but nowhere near the Albion Hall Of Fame.

Spot on :thumbsup:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
And the goal at Leicester Away; A true, true hero at Brighton. Not quite up there with Wayne Gray & Robbie Pethick, but he's not far away.

If Adams/Slade would have played him up Top (where he belongs) then he'd have scored 20/25 goals last season, and be well on his way to it this season - they didn't, so you can't help but feel sorry for him.

:bowdown:
V.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If it's true about AV going - & I think it highly likely tbh - then good luck to him on his future footballing journey. I won't repeat what others have said concerning his contribution at The Albion, but I do think that he's been going backwards here for a while now & a fresh start would be best for all parties imho. He's gonna be the first of a fair few once-regular faces that will be out the door quite honestly, but at least they've been given a good crack o' the whip over the last few seasons. If Gus can bring in better quality players as replacements for any member of our current squad, then I for one am all for it. Football can be a cruel beast at times - but there's nothing more cruel (especially to us supporters) than to hold on to individuals who continue to struggle for any type of form. Onward & upwards, hopefully..

Couldn't have put it better myself. :)

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Cannot watch this (jump to 2:45 and 8:35) and not see Virgo as a Brighton legend.

[yt]zPeN0u_LbBA[/yt]

Hope he stays and fights for his place, the captaincy and show everyone what a great player he is.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
The key is his wages too- it's been suggested they are very high so freeing this up in terms of playing budget would be ike selling a player for a lot of money and would make signing players of Championship quality more realistic.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The thing is you could post up a YouTube clip of Murray's 4-goal Blitz vs Wycombe in the vital 6-pointer and argue he's an Albion legend too...

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The thing is you could post up a YouTube clip of Murray's 4-goal Blitz vs Wycombe in the vital 6-pointer and argue he's an Albion legend too...

Think not, Virgo stepped up under great pressure and delivers, when Murray does the same at the end of a long season and helps us win something I will do the same.

I do hope Murray stays around and shows he is a class Brighton act. Shows loads of promise will be emense if he shows consistency as well.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Virgo: I'm going nowhere From The Argus)

Adam Virgo has played down speculation about his Albion future after he threw his shirt to fans at the end of Monday's win at Wycombe.

The gesture was widely seen as a signal that Virgo could be on his way after losing the captaincy and his place in the team under Gus Poyet.

But the former Celtic defender revealed today: "The whole thing has been blown out of context massively.

"Someone asked me for the shirt, I saw him and gave it to him.

"I want to stay here and play for the club I have grown up supporting."

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Thing is Virgo IS a good player - especially at this level. I think the problem under Slade/Adams he was a bit "billy big bollocks" and needed taking down a peg or two (see "benefit of the doubt" comments, maybe he thought he was untouchable?)...which Poyet has now done hopefully.

I certainly would like to see the "old" Adam Virgo in a Brighton shirt again. I feel over the last few weeks (Wycombe excepted) that he certainly hasn't been any worse than Tunni or Elphick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here