Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo says farewell

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm, what a strange thread.

Virgo had one great season with us, culminating in play off victory as well as him scoring a few goals when shoved up front. The rest of the time he was a fairly solid centre half, whose career high came in that Swindon game. He never gave less than 100%, and even though it hasn't really worked out this time round, I don't think you can say he wasn't trying, or even that he was the worst of our admittedly awful defence this season. That one, beautiful moment against Swindon will always render him deserving of our respect and admiration.

As for the whole Celtic thing- to suggest a lad who's had one cracking season for a third division team in front of crowds of 7,000 is either greedy or deluded for jumping at the chance to play at Celtic Park, in Europe, and in front of regular crowds of 50,000 plus- is mean-minded and plain wrong. Who wouldn't take it, given the chance?

And frankly, with all due respect, the club probably bit Celtic's hand off when they offered £1.5 million for him (that's the same as we got for Zamora, let us not forget), and quite rightly so. I remember being stunned at the time, and it still seems odd now, but it was a brilliant bit of business for both the club and Adam Virgo.

He suffered a bit last season because of the Micky Adams thing, but if he is leaving, I wish the bloke well, I really do.

Road sweeping: what is wrong with you? :nono:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What everynody seems to forget that it is alldown to the manager. Of Slade had still been here he would be playing reularly. Coppell was prepared to sellhim to Exter when they were in the conference but McGhee rated him. So possibly other managers at Southampton, Norwich or even Aberdeen rate him similarly.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Well ive been told buy a first team player that he thinks that was virgos last game 4 the club, and his desperate too get out!!!

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
A few nights out with Peacehaven Pete and Dave the Armadillo is what he needs.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
why did he come on? I assumed poyet was giving him a chance to say goodbye but if he thinks/wants virgo to stay then why was he put on?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
No. You see, at the time when had a good squad and could make progress in the league we seemed to sell our better players, if we had stopped this cancer then we’d be fighting in the championship, Sell out crowds, more revenue, more money to pay off debts instead of selling players and now lower crowds and not reaching the play-offs etc.

If we hadn’t sold them then we wouldn’t been any worse off. That’s my opinion, I’m not an accounted so can’t give you the full facts on why. And why turn down 1.5 million for someone who had a couple of one off games.

I don't think this makes any sense. Interesting that those who build themselves up by abusing our players are so often semi-literate.

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
[yt]_UQtHi5beGg[/yt]

Any excuse to post this. :smile:

Oh such memories when looking at this clip again!

I am not sure managers playing him at right back, centre back, centre midfield and centre forward in close succession did any favours!

In any case thanks a million!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Every time I watch that clip, I convince myself that the ball in the background will come onto the pitch and hold up play, resulting in Virgo never scoring that goal and we go out at the semi's.

Just me then? :blush:

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Well ive been told buy a first team player that he thinks that was virgos last game 4 the club, and his desperate too get out!!!

He is not desperate to get out,but is ready to move on if no longer wanted by Gus,has been told he is but things move quickly a this time of the season.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I'd be sorry to see him go. If there is a big clearout in January, then I don't think many players could say they haven't been given a fair crack of the whip by Poyet - however I think Adam is one who could. Despite shipping goals at an alarming rate in several matches, he still didn't get a look in.

When one of the two centre backs is then injured/rested and Poyet reshuffles the team to play people out of position and still doesn't put Virgo in, that seems pretty strange. Either a deal has already been done or there is no way he is ever going to get his place back and he needs to look elsewhere if he is going to get first team football.

Anyway - if he is off, he has given this club a hell of a lot (not just the £1.5m) and is one of the few players who you could never accuse of not giving 100% to the cause, even if he was having a bad game. Best of luck Adam - hope things work out for you.

Quite right, if nothing else 100% committment to the club. Am really fed up with so called fans on here slagging off our players, some of you need to take a good look at yourselves.

New Years resolution. Spend less time on NSC and when on ignore posters like Withdean Wanderer and The Complete Badger.

zamoraace

Jan 3, 2009
I dont often comment on this board as to be quite honest I almost give up with any form of sanity reading the constant insults to players, the club and one another. However I just wanted to add a comment that I personally shall never ever forget the guy and yes this season he has been unlucky with not being able to play as a Central defender and I think his performances have been more down to him being used in unorthadox positions rather than him playing badly in his favoured position.

The big reason I shall never forget Virgo is thanks to his last minute goal against Swindon and getting to the Playoff Final gave me a fantastic final memory with my Father who died just two days after the final and the memories I have from that day and the pictures I shall treasure for the rest of my life as was like one last boys day out. Thanks Virgs!! and I wish you all the best if you do leave the club as you have always been a great ambassador for the club. Cheers

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
I dont often comment on this board as to be quite honest I almost give up with any form of sanity reading the constant insults to players, the club and one another. However I just wanted to add a comment that I personally shall never ever forget the guy and yes this season he has been unlucky with not being able to play as a Central defender and I think his performances have been more down to him being used in unorthadox positions rather than him playing badly in his favoured position.

The big reason I shall never forget Virgo is thanks to his last minute goal against Swindon and getting to the Playoff Final gave me a fantastic final memory with my Father who died just two days after the final and the memories I have from that day and the pictures I shall treasure for the rest of my life as was like one last boys day out. Thanks Virgs!! and I wish you all the best if you do leave the club as you have always been a great ambassador for the club. Cheers

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here