Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo says farewell

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It is the season of goodwill ..Liam Dickinson gave his shirt to a young lad near us in the North Stand after the Orient game

Might as well give his boots as well to the kid and let him have a game, he couldn`t do any worse than Dickinson.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Don Tmatter said:
Did they say on Radio Sussex that OGH threw his shirt into the crowd as well?

They may well have have said it but I didn't see it happen. He took his shirt off & it looked like he was going to throw it into the crowd (but he needed to be a lot closer) then he put it over his shoulder, applauded and ran off the pitch. It was after this that AV came across, waved and contributed his shirt to the crowd.

is the right answer ;) His shirt ended up in the dirty kit-bag (and his wages stay intact!!)

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Virg's loves playing for the Albion. Returning hasn't worked out as well as expected, but no need to slag off a player who has done so much for us. Personally I hope he stays & has a run in the defence alongside Tommy Elphick.
People slating him, losers.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I will always think of him as a Brighton legend, he's Brighton through and through and he didn't have to come and wave goodbye to the fans today like he did but he obviously thought enough of us to want to do it. Good luck Adam wherever you are going.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
No mate you are absolutely right, Celtic buying Adam Virgo, who was not even the Albion's best defender at the time was a totally regular transfer. You know Celtic may have wanted him to play up front if Laarson was injured, you know, Celtic would sure to have wanted a defender not even the best defender at er Brighton but who they could stick up front !I'm also sure there is the tooth fairy, Santa does exist and George Graham was totally innocent as well, or mate you moight want to take off your blue and white tinted glasses and look at it objectively. It smells that transfer, or possibly someone made the most crass footballing error at Celtic. £1.5 Million for Virgo, what ext, £2 Million for Cox!?.

Celtic (and indeed Rangers) regularly splash out several (2-5) £ million for various SPL players, prospects and current talents. And people on here seem very keen to often point out that League 1 (let alone the Championship which we were in at the time) is obviously waaaaay better than the SPL.

Oh, and Larsson was long gone by then.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
In which case, given the time of year, maybe it was a Xmas pressie to the fans who'd made the trip - and nothing more sinister?
Let's hops so, I've said it before but why wouldn't we keep Virgs as a squad / substitute utility. Honestly, if they are in the current squad they are only as good as their last game to some of the numpties that use this board. The way some people cack on romantically about past players, all of whom would have had at least one bad spell, makes my blood boil.....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not sure what Happened to Virgo, He was on course to be a decent centre back before he was played up front. I know it wasnt his fault but I think thats what ruined him as he was a dire centre forward really who got lucky a few times, and i still maintain him being upfront stopped Brighton playing better football at times as he was shooting everytime he got the ball even whne he was 40 yards out.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Not sure what Happened to Virgo, He was on course to be a decent centre back before he was played up front. I know it wasnt his fault but I think thats what ruined him as he was a dire centre forward really who got lucky a few times, and i still maintain him being upfront stopped Brighton playing better football at times as he was shooting everytime he got the ball even whne he was 40 yards out.

He was good up front up to the age of 11. I can vouch for that. I played against him for 4/5 years.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'd be sorry to see him go. If there is a big clearout in January, then I don't think many players could say they haven't been given a fair crack of the whip by Poyet - however I think Adam is one who could. Despite shipping goals at an alarming rate in several matches, he still didn't get a look in.

When one of the two centre backs is then injured/rested and Poyet reshuffles the team to play people out of position and still doesn't put Virgo in, that seems pretty strange. Either a deal has already been done or there is no way he is ever going to get his place back and he needs to look elsewhere if he is going to get first team football.

Anyway - if he is off, he has given this club a hell of a lot (not just the £1.5m) and is one of the few players who you could never accuse of not giving 100% to the cause, even if he was having a bad game. Best of luck Adam - hope things work out for you.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I know for a fact that he is moving house, away from Brighton. Not sure where, but definitely leaving Brighton.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'd be sorry to see him go. If there is a big clearout in January, then I don't think many players could say they haven't been given a fair crack of the whip by Poyet - however I think Adam is one who could. Despite shipping goals at an alarming rate in several matches, he still didn't get a look in.

When one of the two centre backs is then injured/rested and Poyet reshuffles the team to play people out of position and still doesn't put Virgo in, that seems pretty strange. Either a deal has already been done or there is no way he is ever going to get his place back and he needs to look elsewhere if he is going to get first team football.

Anyway - if he is off, he has given this club a hell of a lot (not just the £1.5m) and is one of the few players who you could never accuse of not giving 100% to the cause, even if he was having a bad game. Best of luck Adam - hope things work out for you.

Seconded.:clap:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
All these posts because he gave away a shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here