Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

virgin media internet- slow

Windels

Jan 15, 2011
Tunbridge Wells
Yeah mine has been really slow as well for about a week. Have to turn the modem off and on again every now and then, it's a right pain in the anus.

Not sure if it's true, someone told me this a while back and I've done no research to back it up so it could be bollocks, but apparently Virgin Media isn't actually owned by Virgin. Apparently some other company pays Virgin to use their image to sell their services. If true, then Branson is off the hook.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My Virgin Media was DISGUSTINGLY slow about 3 months ago, it was regularly running at less than 1MB. The stress of it caused my hair to fall out in clumps, and I began self-harming. The call centre was, predictably, uttterly useless. I got a new modem and wireless router out of them, but this made no difference whatsoever. Then I received a customer satisfaction survey via email from them (being as I'd been onto their poxy call centre about 5 times a week over the problem), and I absolutely let RIP on it about the quality of service, saying I was shopping around looking to switch ISP's as soon as possible, probably to Sky, and hoped that they all got maimed in some way.

Within a couple of days of that, my broadband went straight up to 9MB, where it has remained. I have NO idea if this was in any way connected with my mahoosive toys-out-the-pram grizzle. Probably not. But I don't care, as long as I continue get my nice n' greasy 9MB.

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
Internet has been fine the last few weeks but the TV service has been crap the last week, keeps randomly crashing not changing the channel when you ask it to and V+ just doing nothing when you pause/fast forward it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My Virgin Media was DISGUSTINGLY slow about 3 months ago, it was regularly running at less than 1MB. The stress of it caused my hair to fall out in clumps, and I began self-harming. The call centre was, predictably, uttterly useless. I got a new modem and wireless router out of them, but this made no difference whatsoever. Then I received a customer satisfaction survey via email from them (being as I'd been onto their poxy call centre about 5 times a week over the problem), and I absolutely let RIP on it about the quality of service, saying I was shopping around looking to switch ISP's as soon as possible, probably to Sky, and hoped that they all got maimed in some way.

Within a couple of days of that, my broadband went straight up to 9MB, where it has remained. I have NO idea if this was in any way connected with my mahoosive toys-out-the-pram grizzle. Probably not. But I don't care, as long as I continue get my nice n' greasy 9MB.

What happened to all their whizzy 20MB fibe optix bollox? Do you not get that then? Are they lying?

Oct 25, 2003
yeah easy, RUB IT IN why don't you with your bloody 9MB

the problem with mine is that it's so ERRATIC.....it'll absolutely PLOUGH through for a while, like a bullet train, but then, without warning, will suddenly go like a distracted baby learning how to crawl

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just tested mine and it's running at 31mb :p

[MENTION=18181]Windels[/MENTION] - not true I'm afraid. Virgin do have a controlling stake and Branson regularly speaks at VMB conferences.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Just tested mine and it's running at 31mb :p

[MENTION=18181]Windels[/MENTION] - not true I'm afraid. Virgin do have a controlling stake and Branson regularly speaks at VMB conferences.

Virgin Media was created out of a merger between NTL and Telewest. When they took over Virgin Mobile Branson became a shareholder.

On 4 July 2006, Branson sold his Virgin Mobile company to UK cable TV, broadband, and telephone company NTL/NTL:Telewest for almost £1 billion. As part of the sale, the company pays a minimum of £8.5 million per year to use the Virgin name and Branson became the company's largest shareholder. The new company was launched with much fanfare and publicity on 8 February 2007, under the name Virgin Media. The decision to merge his Virgin Media Company with NTL was in order to integrate both of the companies' compatible parts of commerce. Branson used to own three quarters of Virgin Mobile, whereas now he owns 15 percent of the new Virgin Media company.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Mine's been running at between 31-42mb, which is nice.

Windels

Jan 15, 2011
Tunbridge Wells
Virgin Media was created out of a merger between NTL and Telewest. When they took over Virgin Mobile Branson became a shareholder.

On 4 July 2006, Branson sold his Virgin Mobile company to UK cable TV, broadband, and telephone company NTL/NTL:Telewest for almost £1 billion. As part of the sale, the company pays a minimum of £8.5 million per year to use the Virgin name and Branson became the company's largest shareholder. The new company was launched with much fanfare and publicity on 8 February 2007, under the name Virgin Media. The decision to merge his Virgin Media Company with NTL was in order to integrate both of the companies' compatible parts of commerce. Branson used to own three quarters of Virgin Mobile, whereas now he owns 15 percent of the new Virgin Media company.

So I was sort of right then?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My Virgin is running at 30.62Mb...which isn't bad as I am only paying for 30!

However, there have been occasions over the last couple of weeks when it has been a bit on the slow side, but nothing compared to my previous O2/BT combination...which was like a snail with superglue on its feet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here