Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

virgin media internet- slow

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Not going to be fixed till 23rd November at soonest, have been on the phone to them and have got a rebate. "severe lack of capacity at peak times".

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Had it last year at uni and always used to cut out regulary so kept having to reset it. Now at home with BT and the same happens although not as regulary. Im no techno GEEK but perhaps the t'internet infrastructure is not up to the job like the roads!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I thought the fibre optic cable meant everybody got a good speed, no matter how far they are from the source

:lolol: That was so funny, and a quick search on Google leads only to your post. Can you tell me where you got it from?

Thanks! Just popped out of my brain. Something to do with being really bored at work...

nickbenjoe

May 3, 2009
No problem my end with virgin, I am located in hove no issues, have to say tempted with sky with that new sky go

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I thought the fibre optic cable meant everybody got a good speed, no matter how far they are from the source

You'll get a good speed back to the first point in the network that becomes shared. Thereafter it will depend on how many people are sharing the infrastructure with you. When they put their kit into the exchanges they don't work it out as "we've got 1000 users connecting to this exchange so we need to put in 1000 x whatever bandwidth sold to customers." They assume not everyone will use it at the same time and so they can share a lesser bandwidth. It means at peak times you could get less of a speed than normal.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
my supposedly 20 meg service rarely gets above 9 meg and the connexion is really intermittent am seriously thinking of changing isp
virgin is crap

nickbenjoe

May 3, 2009
I had issues with my broadband once lots of issues, they changed the box no change and eventually they agreed to put in a new cable to the street box. It worked and fixed the problem. Get on to virgin and get that engineer down your paying big money get the service you deserve.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Anyone still having problems? Mine has been disgracefully slow over the last few weeks.

And their customer service is frankly embarrassing.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Mine has been pretty rubbish for the last couple of weeks and it's a known problem especially in the BN2 area. If you have a look on their forums you see loads of complaints. Also heard about this magical date on the 23rd but not convinced

Search - Help & Support Forum

I blame the students :)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Virgin mail is really pissing me off. You type loads, look up to the screen only to find it frozen.

The whole mail layout is crap too, must get around to changing but then there's all those contacts etc.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Virgin mail is essentially Google mail. If you don't like the web interface use something else. Any client that supports POP3 or IMAP4 should be fine. This includes Outlook ,Thunderbird and many more.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

kip

Aug 2, 2011
?Mines running fine in Hollingbury, we did have a problem with it running slowly about 2 months ago but they sorted it quite quickly. They even gave us a call too check it was ok so can't complain really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here