Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgil van Dijk - move back on? (Not presently)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Wish it was but doubt it. Ulloa was a great signing and you can call me greedy and ungrateful but I will be really disappointed if we don't sign anyone else in this window. Child and sweet shop springs to mind!

I asked the same question on the Leo thread the very day that we signed him, so I'm hoping it's a good luck charm!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Interesting comments from Gus there with regards him and Bridcutt, basically saying if we don't get to the premiership in a couple of years he's off and so is Bridcutt. Ouch.

agreed it really pisses me off that he bangs on about this - last week double spread in teh standard saying he wants to manage arsenal - he should keep his mouth shut.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Wish it was but doubt it. Ulloa was a great signing and you can call me greedy and ungrateful but I will be really disappointed if we don't sign anyone else in this window. Child and sweet shop springs to mind!

We've signed 3 players during this window.

That's not something to be disappointed about.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Mr Chin needs to make it clear to Groningen that the lad doesn't want to play for them anymore so they'd be better off taking the money than keeping an unsettled player

So, to paint an optimistic picture:

• Groningen are reportedly tight for money and cannot strengthen without selling
  • Groningen seem to be holding out for an increased bid
  • Groningen have never said they won't sell him - they just want a better offer
  • The Player's agent says the players wants to come to Brighton
  • We have basically called their bluff on an increased offer - including today's Argus article
  • If Groningen were relying upon selling to strengthen elsewhere they must be slightly concerned
  • I can foresee us coming in with a late offer, slightly below the level Groningen are hoping for - but in the circumstances, they accept.

That's the positive view :)

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
agreed it really pisses me off that he bangs on about this - last week double spread in teh standard saying he wants to manage arsenal - he should keep his mouth shut.

Yep. If we are not in the Premier League in 3 years, given the backing he will have had, then Poyet would have failed. That may render his idea of waltzing into a Premier League job a little harder.

Bridcutt however should be in the Premier League.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Does not piss me off in the slightest, nothing wrong with wanting to get to the top.

If he want to manage at the top like that, he is going to have to get us promoted and make us an established Premier League side.

So its a win win all round :)

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If Gus cant get us there with backing he's been given, playing HIS system then what makes him think he belongs there?

Because he's already turned down offers from Premier League clubs?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
(AF} Hans Nijland comes today in the newspaper of the North to speak about mail traffic that yesterday between Brighton and FC Groningen has been. Nijland: "They asked us a sum called in respect of which we Virgil van Dijk would like to sell. We have an email sent back where we indicate no amount shall call and that it makes no sense a new bid to do. We want this transfer do business. "
But what if no FC Groningen Brighton but the case is very different approach and earlier bids (The Argus calls now a sum of approximately £ 2 million (€ 2.3 million) as the height of the second bid) significantly increases . Can the club itself than the recently published figures remembered afford the leg in this case too stiff to keep? We think not. FC Groningen has really lucrative annual transfers needed for the shop running and see time and again for devilish dilemmas and almost impossible to make tradeoffs between sporting and financial consequences. We're stabbing our hand therefore determined not in the fire that Virgil coming Saturday in the pre-spirited away match against AZ shall field.
In the past it was often the case that an outgoing transfer has been "arrested" because FC Groningen rushed busy with the contracting of the replacement. Think Suarez / Mountain, Matavz / Texeira, Tadic / Kostic. This also appears in this case a realistic scenario. Perhaps there are currently discussions underway on two fronts.
Will undoubtedly be continued today.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Looks like the journo is saying Groningen cant afford to keep turning these bids down.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Bizarre Transfer Speculation - Virgil van Dijk

Interesting comments from Gus there with regards him and Bridcutt, basically saying if we don't get to the premiership in a couple of years he's off and so is Bridcutt. Ouch.

If Poyet can't get us promoted with the money he's had then what Premier League clubs does he think would want him. His success is linked with our success and he should be concentrating on the job at hand rather than bleating on about leaving every week.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
And that they need to sort a replacement out first.

Harley? Or one of these .. they can take their pick

Lampost.jpg

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Lot of money for someone so young with so few games.

Not to down if this doesnt happen but need a defender whatever

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If Poyet can't get us promoted with the money he's had then what Premier League clubs does he think would want him. His success is linked with our success and he should be concentrating on the job at hand rather than bleating on about leaving every week.

He's not had that much money at all tho. In comparison to other clubs, I'd imagine we should be mid-table. We don't pay silly wages and bar CMS and Ulloa we've not paid that much for players. A Club like Leicester spent about what we have on our whole squad on 1 centre back! Yes, we are enjoying spending what to us is huge money - but when you consider what other clubs have spent and parachute payments we certainly have no right to assume promotion. How much was Jordan Rhodes again..? As much as our whole squad I'd say - and look where Blackburn are...

Gus is honest, but reading his comments like that is a bit worrying!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here