Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgil van Dijk - move back on? (Not presently)

Dec 29, 2011
If we do sign Virgil, then I really hope our final signing (if there is one) is Liam Trotter.

Don't think we need Trotter. He'd be costly and with a unit at the back (Virgil) and a unit at the front (Ulloa) and Bridcutt weighing in too, we can leave the rest of the players to be creative (Lopez, Orlandi, Buckley, Vicente etc).

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Is it confirmed anywhere that our bid has been accepted and he is free to talk to us?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
El-Abd cannot pass forward, and also takes an absolute age in moving the ball quickly.

The reason he has twice as many passes as Greer is because teams are happy for El-Abd to have the ball as they know he cannot use it anywhere near as well as Greer.

We look a much better side with Dunk and Greer at home in my opinion, El-Abd definately comes into his own on away fixtures however.

Greer hasnt had a great couple of games recently, but lets be honest he has been superb for us in general since we signed him.

This saves me from typing my reply. Exactly. At times (not all the time) Adam looks petrified to pass forwards, probably in fear of losing it. He's a great combative defender, but he's just not comfortable on the ball.

Greer is better, but by no means best. He is more comfortable on the ball, and at times can ping some great passes, but can get a little too creative, and sometimes scares the life out of me with some of his passes. :)

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Has Gus mentioned him yet?

Manager Gus Poyet refused to rule out the possibility after The Argus revealed on Friday the Seagulls had an undisclosed bid rejected by Groningen for their Dutch under-21 international centre-half.

Everton, Newcastle and Sunderland have all been linked with the 6ft 4ins van Dijk.

Poyet, quizzed by The Argus about the possibility of a fresh bid, said: “I don’t know. We will think about it. There are too many rumours, too many things, we'll see.”

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This saves me from typing my reply. Exactly. At times (not all the time) Adam looks petrified to pass forwards, probably in fear of losing it. He's a great combative defender, but he's just not comfortable on the ball.

Greer is better, but by no means best. He is more comfortable on the ball, and at times can ping some great passes, but can get a little too creative, and sometimes scares the life out of me with some of his passes. :)

This. In my view Greer and El-Abd are not good enough for the Premiership. Greer isn't good enough in the air and can play some sloppy passes at times, El-Abd, although a decent defender, can barely pass the ball.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The FC Gronigen fans do not seem happy at all, he is currently leading their player of the season vote comfortably. I really hope we have a chance but I'll believe it when I see it.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
El-Abd cannot pass forward, and also takes an absolute age in moving the ball quickly.

The reason he has twice as many passes as Greer is because teams are happy for El-Abd to have the ball as they know he cannot use it anywhere near as well as Greer.

We look a much better side with Dunk and Greer at home in my opinion, El-Abd definately comes into his own on away fixtures however.

Greer hasnt had a great couple of games recently, but lets be honest he has been superb for us in general since we signed him.

In our area its become a bit of a running joke around Greer that a) he never passes to Calderon and b) he never passes forwards and c) is utterly terrified when the ball goes near him in the opposition box. As its a running joke it gets more emphasis than it probably merits but there are truths there.

Personally, I feel safer with E-lAbd because, as I said before, he's a "stop the shot at all costs" defender which is something we lack when Greer and Dunk play together.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
on the basis that bruno/greer/bridge are 30+ and the fact that Greer is either good or turd with nothing in between, I can see VvD and El-Abd as the first choice for the forseeable with Bridders taking the captaincy. AEA has his faults, but is invaluable at the back - the only one of our current cb with that nasty streak that ALL teams need at least one of. Hopefully Dunky will be able to focus 100% on his football in a few weeks and start to fulfill his potential.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is the Come over the Dyke fanzine still going?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Why haven't we got a MOLE in place at Groningen? It's time to replace our SIDEWINDER El-Abd at the back. When/if Virgil makes his debut, will Richie Reynolds sign off after announcing the teams by saying, "BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION ARE GO!"?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Can't be bothered to read through all the posts on this thread to see whether this question has already been asked, but why sell Hall for a million quid and then buy a dutch CB for a million? Why not keep the talent we have? Not sure if my figures are accurate, but hope you get the gist of my question.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Can't be bothered to read through all the posts on this thread to see whether this question has already been asked, but why sell Hall for a million quid and then buy a dutch CB for a million? Why not keep the talent we have? Not sure if my figures are accurate, but hope you get the gist of my question.

We didn't sell Hall. He refused a new contract.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Depends if he's better than Hall, my gut feeling is that he is..

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
I'm bored of this "our defence is strong because we don't concede many goals" argument.

Our Centrebacks have been the weakest link in our defence all season I'm afraid and this is proven by the fact that we concede so many late goals, many of which are in areas which should be picked by by the central defenders.

The reason why we don't concede that many goals during is because many opposition attacks are broken down in midfield by Bridcutt and recently Hammond before they get the chance to put the ball into the area. When teams DO get the ball in the air around the penalty spot, they often score. Saturday was proof of this and so was Palace, Derby, Millwall & Bolton...On Saturday, two unchallenged headers where a decent centre back would have been (Forget about Kusczak's mistake, Vigic had a clean header on goal).

Both Greer and El-Abd are great players for us for 70 minutes in a game and I would always have the latter in my squad, but overall if we want to get promotion, then we need to look for better defenders as neither of these are not good enough for a top end of the Championship/bottom of the Premier League team. Dunk, hopefully will be one day once he hasn't got anything hanging over his head I'm convinced of it.

This guy is spot on!

We simply do not defend crosses/corners well enough game in game out.

The player who seems to defend best with his head, is funnily enough Ashley Barnes.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I don't think we decided to sell Hall. He was down the pecking order with us and was offered a contract with a top prem team. I guess he'd rather play for their development squad, on higher wages no doubt, than ours.

VvD is not a replacement for Hall. Sounds like a top prospect who'd most likely go straight into the first 11.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here