Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgil van Dijk - move back on? (Not presently)

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Greer is out of contract at the end of the season isn't isn't he?

If we sign this fella and Dunk gets the all clear then it might well be Gordon's last season with us.

Stumpy Tim

Greer is out of contract at the end of the season isn't isn't he?

If we sign this fella and Dunk gets the all clear then it might well be Gordon's last season with us.

I read in an interview that Greer has a clause that means he'll get an extra year if he plays a certain number of games - I would be shocked if he doesn't play that number

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Either that or our Centre Back for the next ten years in the prem....Yeah ok, I know no one stays that long at a club anymore lol... Seriously though, these signings are not being made to bum around in the championship for much longer and I can't seriously believe anyone still things that is the remit. Poyet is being given some serious ammo, we have GOT to start blowing a few teams away. The team is littered with players who have played way beyond the standard we are playing at the moment.

I think the team has grown over the season and I expect better results this half of the season, with a thrashing or two along the way. We 'll need others to have dips though to secure the play offs but this is the Championship, so I expect it.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Some of you guys are really CLUTCHing at straws here with these puns, you need to BRAKE the habit before it all STEERS out of control.
Hopefully we're GEARing up for a few more transfers this WINDOW.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I read in an interview that Greer has a clause that means he'll get an extra year if he plays a certain number of games - I would be shocked if he doesn't play that number

Ahh. You'd assume he has to agree to the extra year as well, though. If he's still on a League One contract then he might fancy his chances getting a better deal elsewhere, particularly if he gets the captaincy taken from him and is told he'll now be back-up.

I'm not sure how to feel about Greer quite frankly. It's hard to make a judgement on his worth to the team - and whether it's worth keeping him on - without knowing where he is on the wage-scale. If he's a top earner, i.e. in the top 6, then I'd be inclined to let him go to bring in a younger alternative like this VvD.

All idle speculation of course.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I often wonder why Greer gets such a negative reaction on here. He is captain of the team and defence that has been pretty tight all year with one of the best records in the league. Yes, he is prone to the odd mistake but all the team are including his partner and yet Greer is always the focus when things go wrong in the back 4. It can't be easy being a centre half in our team, you have to be able to take the ball down and play rather than just hoof and head it away and there are not to many around that do that. That said this guy looks flair and would be a great addition, but I do wonder if it will be Adam rather than Gordon that makes way if we are successful in signing this guy.

Dec 29, 2011
Ahh. You'd assume he has to agree to the extra year as well, though. If he's still on a League One contract then he might fancy his chances getting a better deal elsewhere, particularly if he gets the captaincy taken from him and is told he'll now be back-up.

I'm not sure how to feel about Greer quite frankly. It's hard to make a judgement on his worth to the team - and whether it's worth keeping him on - without knowing where he is on the wage-scale. If he's a top earner, i.e. in the top 6, then I'd be inclined to let him go to bring in a younger alternative like this VvD.

I imagine top 6 would be along the lines of: Vicente, CMS, PIG, Dobbie, Lopez/Bruno and Bridge

Stumpy Tim

In the interview he said he's working towards playing enough games to get the extra year, so I think it's safe to say he'll accept it. Even if we do sign the Dutch kid, I suspect he'll partner Greer

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I often wonder why Greer gets such a negative reaction on here. He is captain of the team and defence that has been pretty tight all year with one of the best records in the league. Yes, he is prone to the odd mistake but all the team are including his partner and yet Greer is always the focus when things go wrong in the back 4. It can't be easy being a centre half in our team, you have to be able to take the ball down and play rather than just hoof and head it away and there are not to many around that do that. That said this guy looks flair and would be a great addition, but I do wonder if it will be Adam rather than Gordon that makes way if we are successful in signing this guy.

I'd agree that GG and AEA do a great job to an extent. The goals against tally is testament to that. However, against a pacy attack they look very suspect at times- I'm not relishing the prospect of facing Walcott on Saturday. I'll be surprised if we don't concede a penalty.

On that basis, VVD would be an exciting and necessary addition. I just hope there's no interest from Luton (last pun I promise).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here