Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Villareal..................

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
You can't draw any meaningful conclusions out of a friendly - so to say tikka-takka is gone this early is jumping the gun a bit I think! :wozza:

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
It was a friendly, there was never going to be a red hot atmosphere.

We lost to a probable Top 10 La Liga side, no shame there. Get Agustien and others involved (possibly by Tuesday) and work on the things we did wrong, and we'll be fine for Saturday.

We won't play against a team as good as this in the championship. The type of football they played was what Oscar wants from us. High tempo, if we haven't got the ball get it back as quickly as possible. Their fitness levels were much higher than ours even though they are behind us in pre season. Oscar will have recorded the game and will sit them down and say that's how I want you to play. Will look with interest how they do in La Liga. I think top 6 side. Too many of our players tired early. Buckley and Orlandi never got into the game and it was left to Bruno to create anything from the wings. Norwich will be interesting but technically they won't be as good as Villareal.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It may have only been a friendly but i think that Villareal had done their homework on us. They closed us down very quickly, attacked our left side with pace, that number 17 was causing havoc in that area. I think they realised that they would not beat us with high balls into the box, so kept it low and quick attacks.
I think technically they looked assured much like we did against opposition last season.
I thought our wing play was very disappointing, fairly non existent, and we definitely need reinforcements in midfield.
The pros were that Bruno looked as if he may be able to shake off that injury, and Liam has played most of the game after coming back from injury.
Hopefully the difference tonight could be that with us just 7 days away from the start of the season, we needed just game time and fitness without injuries, where as Villareal could give it more because they have 3 weeks before their season starts.
I think the lack of pace was the most worrying aspect for me. I would liked to have seen KLL run at their defence.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Just an observation,thought we started well, but when on the attack a lot of crosses from wing play went to players spread out across the pen area, except there was no one in the middle to exploit the knock down. Villarreal seemed masters of having a spare player looking to take up the pass back,indeed all their goals came from this play12,039 quite a good turn out for a rainy evening but crowd very subdued as the game went on.
There are lessons that will have been learnt by the players.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
We won't play against a team as good as this in the championship. The type of football they played was what Oscar wants from us. High tempo, if we haven't got the ball get it back as quickly as possible. Their fitness levels were much higher than ours even though they are behind us in pre season. Oscar will have recorded the game and will sit them down and say that's how I want you to play. Will look with interest how they do in La Liga. I think top 6 side. Too many of our players tired early. Buckley and Orlandi never got into the game and e the main it was left to Bruno to create anything from the wings. Norwich will be interesting but technically they won't be as good as Villareal.

Interesting that we have set up the two big friendlies 7 & 4 days before Leeds. If this was the plan to get 100% nailed on then why are they being subbed? If they ain't up to 90, which they should play at least once as Leeds will be, why weren't these games a week earlier?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
We lost to a probable Top 10 La Liga side, no shame there.

I agree with your second sentence, but it is noted that they were Second Division last season and have just got promotion......but a good "friendly" fixture. Oscar learns little seeing us defeat minnows.

That said, my expectations this time are not so great. He would be a miracle worker to get promotion in the first season with a team that ,so far, is weaker than last time. Never mind, That's football !

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Interesting that we have set up the two big friendlies 7 & 4 days before Leeds. If this was the plan to get 100% nailed on then why are they being subbed? If they ain't up to 90, which they should play at least once as Leeds will be, why weren't these games a week earlier?

Oscar doesn't seem too chuffed about the Norwich match on Seagulls Player. Gist of it was that it's too hard a fixture straight after Villarreal but he's stuck with it. Does seem tough preparation for the season opener given the size of the squad.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Villareals team cost a lot more than ours to assemble and they are a much slicker outfit. Their players are technically better than ours as well. Our team is getting to grips with a new style and there were many moments in the 1st half where we looked very good.

Having got beaten convincingly by Swindon this time last year I'm not going to worry too much about this one.

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I agree with your second sentence, but it is noted that they were Second Division last season and have just got promotion......

They spent one season in the Segunda Division and got promoted back at the first time of asking. They've been in the Champions League and UEFA Cup semi-finals and finished 3rd in La Liga in the course of the last decade.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Not been to many games have you? And it was a friendly. Just how much noise did you feel like making?

Ive been to 100's of games, havnt missed a home Albion game for years, and travel regularly to away games, but pound for pound this was worst, especially as was Oscar's first game.

Everything was sh!t, the travel, the weather, the food, the drink, the crowd, the time of the KO, no away fans, no home fans, empty seats everywhere. I knew there was no upper tiers, but the fact there was no South and hardly any in the the stands that where available it was just terrible. Added to that the football was poor and we lost 3-1.

Great times.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Missing you already:cry:

:thumbsup:

Summed it up nicely. Personally, I went to see new opponents, sit in a different part of the ground,have a pie, watch the Albion again and exercise the ghosts of the previous game I saw at the Amex. The game was roughly what was expected, as was the atmosphere.

But then, I've been to friendlies before and knew what to expect.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
:thumbsup:

Summed it up nicely. Personally, I went to see new opponents, sit in a different part of the ground,have a pie, watch the Albion again and exercise the ghosts of the previous game I saw at the Amex. The game was roughly what was expected, as was the atmosphere.

But then, I've been to friendlies before and knew what to expect.

The friendlies last year and the year before where great, especially since we beat Chelsea last year, and the seats where filled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here