Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Villa offer to trial return of terraces

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its simple. You have a standing area that you know holds say 5000 and only sell 4000 tickets. Thus no overcrowding and no ticket no entry. No pay on the gate.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great idea, bring it on.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
My Reply from Henry Smith :down:

Thank you for contacting me about safe standing in football stadia.
As you may know, the Government believes that the longstanding policy, which requires that stadia of football clubs in the top two divisions be all-seater, remains an important measure in maintaining safety at football grounds in England and Wales.

For the Government to even consider a change to this I understand that they feel there would have to be compelling evidence presented to it from all the relevant authorities; including the police, on spectator safety, as well as it being clear that this is something that all parties want.

Having raised the matter with the Department for Culture, Olympics, Media & Sport, I understand that it is the Sport’s Minister belief that there is no appetite to change the current policy, following his meetings with the football authorities and clubs in the United Kingdom.

I am aware, however, that the organisers of the ‘Safe-Standing Roadshow’ recently undertook a fact-finding trip to Germany, and that the Sports Grounds Safety Authority, the body responsible for overseeing football ground safety in England and Wales, has said they would be interested in seeing any video footage produced on that trip.

With respect to Early Day Motion (EDM) 573, however, like many MPs, I do not sign EDMs as they have no legislative effect and yet cost the taxpayer a considerable sum to administer; averaging at around a million pounds every year. I believe this parliamentary process achieves nothing and needs to either be abolished or reformed.

I am grateful for your taking the time to contact me and please never hesitate to get back in touch if I can be of any further assistance on this issue or any other.

Yours sincerely

Henry Smith MP
Crawley Constituency

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
My Reply from Henry Smith :down:

Thank you for contacting me about safe standing in football stadia.
As you may know, the Government believes that the longstanding policy, which requires that stadia of football clubs in the top two divisions be all-seater, remains an important measure in maintaining safety at football grounds in England and Wales.

For the Government to even consider a change to this I understand that they feel there would have to be compelling evidence presented to it from all the relevant authorities; including the police, on spectator safety, as well as it being clear that this is something that all parties want.

Having raised the matter with the Department for Culture, Olympics, Media & Sport, I understand that it is the Sport’s Minister belief that there is no appetite to change the current policy, following his meetings with the football authorities and clubs in the United Kingdom.

I am aware, however, that the organisers of the ‘Safe-Standing Roadshow’ recently undertook a fact-finding trip to Germany, and that the Sports Grounds Safety Authority, the body responsible for overseeing football ground safety in England and Wales, has said they would be interested in seeing any video footage produced on that trip.

With respect to Early Day Motion (EDM) 573, however, like many MPs, I do not sign EDMs as they have no legislative effect and yet cost the taxpayer a considerable sum to administer; averaging at around a million pounds every year. I believe this parliamentary process achieves nothing and needs to either be abolished or reformed.

I am grateful for your taking the time to contact me and please never hesitate to get back in touch if I can be of any further assistance on this issue or any other.

Yours sincerely

Henry Smith MP
Crawley Constituency

No appetite for change? Is that just in regards to the MP's and not the general football public?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Safe standing in the North and South stand ( and I imagine the corners would have to be done as well to prevent some views from there being blocked ) would add how much to the capacity? 6K? 7K? 8K?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Had a reply from Dr Lucas

Dear Eight,

Thank you for your message. I always appreciate constituents flagging EDM to me and will certainly take a good look at this one and consider adding my name.

Best wishes,

Caroline

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No appetite for change? Is that just in regards to the MP's and not the general football public?

No appetite for change i.e. the Government's MPs are too busy 'watching' rugby (talking through it) where they can have a pint during the game and stand up at the ground if they want to.

As the 'no standing areas' came about as a result of Hillsborough and as it is now fully accepted that the disaster occurred through the mismanagement of those areas rather than because standing is inherently unsafe, there's really no excuse for this any more.

I don't think we should go back to having the amount of terracing that used to exist but one safe standing area in each ground for those that want to (probably behind the goal) would make good sense and be great for the atmosphere.

I think the conclusion of the Hillsborough will allow the idea to move forwards - NOBODY can say that it was standing that caused the deaths, or that the behaviour of fans when standing at football is likely to be harmful to safety.

We need to remember that this is not a plan to return to 'traditional' terracing, so there won't be the crowd surges or not having your feet on the floor moments. It would be great to see, but expensive for clubs to put in for a financial gain that would only come from food/drink sales as income from ticket sales would stay about the same - I doubt people will pay the same for standing as for seats so prices would have to come down slightly.

According to these two illustrations the clubs would make more money from gate receipts too:

The proposal continued - The sums: Stadium A - Safe Standing Roadshow.co.uk

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Sorry if its been mentioned, what Scottish clubs will be trilling safe standing and in which season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here