Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Villa offer to trial return of terraces

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
That would pose a real dilemma for me.

I love my WSU seat at the AMEX - but I also love standing at a match - so the lure
of a North Stand standing would be huge!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
So if the North currently holds about 2800, how many do you think that would allow to stand? 3200? 3500?
Of course one criterion of standing terraces would be only a certain number of tickets allowed. The main reason the Hillsborough disaster happened was because more people were there than there should have been.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So if the North currently holds about 2800, how many do you think that would allow to stand? 3200? 3500?
Of course one criterion of standing terraces would be only a certain number of tickets allowed. The main reason the Hillsborough disaster happened was because more people were there than there should have been.

Liverpool should have been given the Kop end at Sheffield-imo

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The problem is people directly link the hillsborough tragedy with terracing when in fact that has proved to be caused by very poor crowd control

Any motions to bring this back at this time when the justice campaign is high on the media agenda will simply be sidelined as too sensitive to discuss

It's sad because there is a demand for this and as countless festivals, concerts and German football matches show if you get it right crowds can stand safely

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not a snowflakes chance in hell that would ever happen at the amex

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
This, especially as the seats are padded and must have cost loads already, there's no way TB will want to do this.

Imagine how soft and padded the terraces would be!

D

Deleted member 18477

Half the north stand is already a standing area. We might as well make the whole stand a standing area. Standing is better. No one sings sitting down do they let's face it. You want a better atmosphere etc. bring back standing!

Dortmund have my favourite stadium in the world these days. Their standing section is INCREDIBLE!!!!

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Half the north stand is already a standing area. We might as well make the whole stand a standing area. Standing is better. No one sings sitting down do they let's face it. You want a better atmosphere etc. bring back standing!

Dortmund have my favourite stadium in the world these days. Their standing section is INCREDIBLE!!!!

29000 standing on a single terrace isn't it?

D

Deleted member 18477

[FOOTNOTE][/FOOTNOTE]
29000 standing on a single terrace isn't it?

25k! The stadium capacity goes from 80k to 65k for champs league and internationals though so I guess it's 10k for them... and all seated.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Great news if it means the sitters among us can have their seats back at away games. Might even be tempted back to one myself!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Bristol City Offer Support To Safe Standing Campaign : F.C. Business

Bristol City FC has given its support to the Football Supporters’ Federation’s Safe Standing Campaign.

The Football Supporters’ Federation (FSF) has been leading the Safe Standing Campaign since 2002, lodging petitions as well as speaking with MPs and clubs around the world.

City supporter and member of the Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust, Jon Darch, has led the Safe Standing Roadshow for the FSF – which visited Ashton Gate five times last season.

Pledging heir support for the campaign, Bristol Sport chairman Martin Griffiths, said: “A lot of hard work has gone into the Safe Standing Campaign and having seen the rail seat system, there could well be merit in the concept.

“Ultimately football clubs cannot do anything until the relevant authorities agree to allow Safe Standing into stadia.

“We will support the FSF’s efforts to encourage appropriate authorities to investigate the rail seat system with a view to defining criteria under which it could be introduced in future at grounds.”

Since 1994, all clubs in the Premier League and Championship have been required to provide all-seated accommodation for all spectators.

However, last December, trials of rail seats were sanctioned north of the border in the Scottish Premier League, and Aston Villa expressed an interest to become the first top flight club in England to trial safe standing.

Griffiths added: “At present there are no immediate plans to introduce Safe Standing into Ashton Gate or the new stadium project at Ashton Vale.

“But we offer our support to the FSF campaign to allow for the introduction of Safe Standing areas at football grounds in the future and would actively consider it should the relevant legislation be brought in.”

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/the-proposal/the-proposal---continued-2

Standing to seating ratios
The Green Guide also compares the amount of space required for seated and standing spectators respectively. As a guide for the lower leagues where standing areas are permitted, it specifies a ratio of 18 standing fans for every 10 spectators in seats. At many grounds in Germany the ratio is similar (2:1 at TSG 1899 Hoffenheim and VfB Stuttgart, for instance).

A number of German stadia using hi-rail seats currently do so in areas of the ground with gradients of 15.3, 21.3 and 24 degrees (as pictured on the right in the 'away' fans section of the Rhein Neckar Arena, home of TSG 1899 Hoffenheim in Germany). Installation of hi-rail seats in compliance with Green Guide gradient limits is thus clearly possible.

So, what the gradient of the North and South stands at the Amex?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I think the conclusion of the Hillsborough will allow the idea to move forwards - NOBODY can say that it was standing that caused the deaths, or that the behaviour of fans when standing at football is likely to be harmful to safety.

We need to remember that this is not a plan to return to 'traditional' terracing, so there won't be the crowd surges or not having your feet on the floor moments. It would be great to see, but expensive for clubs to put in for a financial gain that would only come from food/drink sales as income from ticket sales would stay about the same - I doubt people will pay the same for standing as for seats so prices would have to come down slightly.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I think the conclusion of the Hillsborough will allow the idea to move forwards - NOBODY can say that it was standing that caused the deaths, or that the behaviour of fans when standing at football is likely to be harmful to safety.

We need to remember that this is not a plan to return to 'traditional' terracing, so there won't be the crowd surges or not having your feet on the floor moments. It would be great to see, but expensive for clubs to put in for a financial gain that would only come from food/drink sales as income from ticket sales would stay about the same - I doubt people will pay the same for standing as for seats so prices would have to come down slightly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here