Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente booking

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Ok, I get it, there is no room for leniency, it's just an automatic yellow for taking your shirt off. But isn't it the same for kicking the ball away, and I've seen Cardiff and Pompey do it loads of times without a single booking.

Yep.And thats the annoying thing. Thes seem to pretend to miss blanet kicking ball away, but never pretend to miss taking the shirt off. One is done without thought after scoring a goal, the other deliberatly to slow play down.... doesnt make sense why refs choose to ignore one and not the other

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
The mandatory booking of players for celebrating goals by taking their shirts off has to be THE worst rule/law/directive of the game by far. FFS!, can't anyone just be allowed to enjoy themselves these days ! It's not like it's harming anyone.

Take that very young lad who scored for Wycombe Wanderers earlier in the season and got booked for going over to his family in the crowd to celebrate. Absolutely bloody ridiculous booking ! :rant:

Pathetic, that's what it is, pathetic!

Didn't Dean Cox get sent off after scoring on his debut for the second bookable offence of "celebrating with the crowd"

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Didn't Dean Cox get sent off after scoring on his debut for the second bookable offence of "celebrating with the crowd"

I thought it was for, "persistently not clearing the first man on crosses/corners". Maybe I missed it?

:jester:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Ok, I get it, there is no room for leniency, it's just an automatic yellow for taking your shirt off. But isn't it the same for kicking the ball away, and I've seen Cardiff and Pompey do it loads of times without a single booking.

To be fair to the Ref, when Buckley kicked it away after making a mistake he just had a word in his ear and nothing more!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Personally I think booked players for removing shirts is a crap rule.

I agree. I think its because games are broadcast throughout the world and I think FIFA mandated the rule so as to not offend the Middle East nations that pay so much.

Had he not booked him he'd have got a right bollocking! ignoring the rules is not a positive career move for a referee.

The mandatory booking of players for celebrating goals by taking their shirts off has to be THE worst rule/law/directive of the game by far. FFS!, can't anyone just be allowed to enjoy themselves these days ! It's not like it's harming anyone.

Take that very young lad who scored for Wycombe Wanderers earlier in the season and got booked for going over to his family in the crowd to celebrate. Absolutely bloody ridiculous booking ! :rant:

Pathetic, that's what it is, pathetic!

It's an enforced rule, driven by/for shirt sponsor's - The one moment the TV really focuses on the expensive logo on front of the shirt is when players score.. and then some take it off.. Hence the rule. :)

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
It's an enforced rule, driven by/for shirt sponsor's - The one moment the TV really focuses on the expensive logo on front of the shirt is when players score.. and then some take it off.. Hence the rule. :)

Really? I thought it was brought in after Neil Shipperly took his shirt off once and scared some young children.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
The ref had the card out immediately Vicente took his shirt off and waited till he returned to the centre circle before showing him it. He knew what he had to do and he did like it or not!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Yes at Rotherham. Fwiw I think a booking for removing a shirt or overcelebrating is pettyness in the extreme. If it is inciting the crowd ie the opposing fans then that is different.

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
Worst rule in football

The mandatory booking of players for celebrating goals by taking their shirts off has to be THE worst rule/law/directive of the game by far.
actually no - the worst rule in football is the one which requires that a player who has received treatment must leave the pitch - viz Noone today was fouled and we then had to take the resulting free kick without him on the field! Bonkers IMHO

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The decision to book vicente was clearly made by the 4th official not the Ref.I was watching the ref to see if he was petty enough to get the old yellow card out and could see he was holding his hand to his earpiece and getting instructions from the line.
Pity 4th officials never see anything in our favour.

From where I was looking, the ref was already taking his card out his pocket when Vicente ripped his shirt off.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
If you think the ref was that incompetent that he didn't know the rule,
[/I]

The ref got that decision spot on, it was has lack of knowledge of other laws that worried me....Halford only one yellow, your having a laugh.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The ref got that decision spot on, it was has lack of knowledge of other laws that worried me....Halford only one yellow, your having a laugh.

And the lack of his and the linemans sight when volkes got a huge two handed push in the back in the penalty box in the second half

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
If you think the ref was that incompetent that he didn't know the rule, fine.

Wrong, but fine.

Of course he listened to his assistant that is what they are there for

he was incompetent...he kept allowing pompey to take their corners outside the d

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
It is a crap rule though. The Giggs goal v Arsenal in the '99 FA Cup semi is made complete by the "running the length of the pitch with your chest rug out waving your shirt above your head like a madman" celebration! Rule should be scrapped IMO.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Not all of his mistakes cost us though, surely it was a freekick when TWO pompey players gang tackled lua lua before he mugged them both and set up the second goal.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not all of his mistakes cost us though, surely it was a freekick when TWO pompey players gang tackled lua lua before he mugged them both and set up the second goal.

Pompey fans were trying to say LuaLua handled it before passing to Vicente but having see the goals on Sky again at home, it hits his shoulder.

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
do we care about vicente getting a yellow he won us the game today yes its a petty rule but rules are rules i will take it he turned the game on its head how often does a player get MOM only being on the pitch for 25 mins or so VICENTE = CLASS ACT all be it a fragile one!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

His first tackle on Noone was right in front of me. He could have walked for that one. Then the second foul minutes later, again on Noone......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here