Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Vermin!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You can get rid of rats whilst having fun and improving your aim.
Get a .22 air rifle.
Or play Rat Trap by The Boomtown Rats on a loop, it makes me run away every time I hear it so rats should do the same.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
No, not Palace fans, the furry kind of vermin. B&stard rats have been in my garage and decimated over £200 worth of Celebrations and Cadbury’s Heroes tubs that I’d bought to give out to customers over the festive period. The furry little ars£ holes have chewed straight through the plastic boxes and run off with the swag. I say run off, they have deposited most of it around the garage in small piles in boxes where they have chewed and pissed all over lots of old of old baby clothes (My wife was in bits about this, all the things we’d kept from the boys when they were little) and other assorted bits and bobs.

Horrific job clearing it all out, the warm stench of rat piss and chocolate will remain in my nostrils for a long while and I doubt i'll eat any chocolate for ages. Put everything in the bin, went to empty bin, bloody rat jumped out and ran away. My dog goes mental for squirrels but she didn’t even think about the chase. Smart dog.

Had to call my boss and explain I needed to claim more chocolates on my expenses, that was a embarrassing call. I’d done the same thing for last 6 years, stored chocs in the garage and not so much as a nibbled box was found prior to this year.
There were about 30 boxes containing bottles of wine and they are saturated in what smells like rat p!ss so they are all for the tip also. He was quite kind about it and saw the funny side. (Glad someone can)

Ground work crew just demolished a site with an old garden nursery on it behind our house I think they kept ducks and chickens there as well. They are building 30 new houses and the rats have been displaced buy the building work and looks like they headed our way.

I have a couple of Rat traps (Big mouse traps with peanut butter bait, no joy so far) but if anyone has any tips on getting rid of them, preventing them coming back or just some funny vermin related stories to cheer me up it would be appreciated.

I could take those up the tip for you.

Do be very careful with your personal hygiene when cleaning the area, key thing washing your hands.

Rat piss contains leptospirosis, which is very easy to contract and can leave you unwell for months.
WARNING: It can be much worse...

Symptoms can range from none at all to a mild flu-like illness, or a more severe illness called Weil's disease, with jaundice and kidney failure. In most cases, with antibiotic treatment, the person will make a complete recovery. But for a few, it can be fatal even with the best hospital care.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No, not Palace fans, the furry kind of vermin. B&stard rats have been in my garage and decimated over £200 worth of Celebrations and Cadbury’s Heroes tubs that I’d bought to give out to customers over the festive period. The furry little ars£ holes have chewed straight through the plastic boxes and run off with the swag. I say run off, they have deposited most of it around the garage in small piles in boxes where they have chewed and pissed all over lots of old of old baby clothes (My wife was in bits about this, all the things we’d kept from the boys when they were little) and other assorted bits and bobs.

Horrific job clearing it all out, the warm stench of rat piss and chocolate will remain in my nostrils for a long while and I doubt i'll eat any chocolate for ages. Put everything in the bin, went to empty bin, bloody rat jumped out and ran away. My dog goes mental for squirrels but she didn’t even think about the chase. Smart dog.

Had to call my boss and explain I needed to claim more chocolates on my expenses, that was a embarrassing call. I’d done the same thing for last 6 years, stored chocs in the garage and not so much as a nibbled box was found prior to this year. There were about 30 boxes containing bottles of wine and they are saturated in what smells like rat p!ss so they are all for the tip also. He was quite kind about it and saw the funny side. (Glad someone can)

Ground work crew just demolished a site with an old garden nursery on it behind our house I think they kept ducks and chickens there as well. They are building 30 new houses and the rats have been displaced buy the building work and looks like they headed our way.

I have a couple of Rat traps (Big mouse traps with peanut butter bait, no joy so far) but if anyone has any tips on getting rid of them, preventing them coming back or just some funny vermin related stories to cheer me up it would be appreciated.
I had a garage infested with rats go to Tesco purchase the large jar of pickling vinegar transfer it into spray bottles and spray it in the garage. It proper stinks but will resolve the problem. When I did it my neighbour text me a few doors down saying an army of rats had appeared at his place and had I got them :lolol: I think they must of moved on rapid style.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our neighbour feeds birds by spreading bird food across their patio, just a metre from our boundary fence.

Inevitably, Rattus likes that very much, including today. When chased off by our neighbour, it ran into a roof space possibly on our side.

Any recommendations for a pest control firm in the Brighton and Hove area, please?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Our neighbour feeds birds by spreading bird food across their patio, just a metre from our boundary fence.

Inevitably, Rattus likes that very much, including today. When chased off by our neighbour, it ran into a roof space possibly on our side.

Any recommendations for a pest control firm in the Brighton and Hove area, please?

For the rat or the neighbour?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I know people suggested professional help but often this involves laying poison which to me is a bad option as a) other creatures you don't want to kill might eat it b) other creatures might eat the dead rats and be indirectly poisoned c) the poisoned rats might just go to some hard to get to place to die and rot.

I had rats in the garden last year and bought a humane trap and caught 7 in about 10 days , i did catch a couple of others but in my fear I dropped the trap and they jumped out and ran off.

I used peanut butter mixed with nutella in my trap and given your rats like chocolate they will know the nutella smell. Another option is to use a strong smelling (rotted) fish if you can put up with the smell.

This!

I was told by an expert that each rat has to eat the equivalent of their own body weight of poison before it kills them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here