Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Vermin!

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
36 bottles, not case, sorry gave wring impression. they are yours mate! Red and White. DM me.

Thanks mate, 30 cases would have been worth the drive LOL

Appreciate the offer, cant you give them to a charity for a Christmas raffle or something, breaks my heart to see good booze wasted :cheers:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
My friend keeps chickens and has ended up with rats. As stated above, normal traps did nothing, so they got the professionals in to block up all holes etc. Didn't make much difference, they just made more holes and ran about inside the walls.

So they got a cat, which had the effect of making the rats go elsewhere. This surprised me, since their cat is only now just growing out of being a kitten - surely that's a meal for a bunch of rats?

I spend a happy hour or so watching rat / squirrel trap videos on youtube. There are some highly effective solutions out there. Although I wonder whether a pile of dead rats at the foot of a compressed air trap would dissuade other rats from taking a peek.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My friend keeps chickens and has ended up with rats. As stated above, normal traps did nothing, so they got the professionals in to block up all holes etc. Didn't make much difference, they just made more holes and ran about inside the walls.

So they got a cat, which had the effect of making the rats go elsewhere. This surprised me, since their cat is only now just growing out of being a kitten - surely that's a meal for a bunch of rats?

I spend a happy hour or so watching rat / squirrel trap videos on youtube. There are some highly effective solutions out there. Although I wonder whether a pile of dead rats at the foot of a compressed air trap would dissuade other rats from taking a peek.

No they come out and will eat the dead ones. There’s little loyalty amongst rats.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
No, not Palace fans, the furry kind of vermin. B&stard rats have been in my garage and decimated over £200 worth of Celebrations and Cadbury’s Heroes tubs that I’d bought to give out to customers over the festive period. The furry little ars£ holes have chewed straight through the plastic boxes and run off with the swag. I say run off, they have deposited most of it around the garage in small piles in boxes where they have chewed and pissed all over lots of old of old baby clothes (My wife was in bits about this, all the things we’d kept from the boys when they were little) and other assorted bits and bobs.

Horrific job clearing it all out, the warm stench of rat piss and chocolate will remain in my nostrils for a long while and I doubt i'll eat any chocolate for ages. Put everything in the bin, went to empty bin, bloody rat jumped out and ran away. My dog goes mental for squirrels but she didn’t even think about the chase. Smart dog.

Had to call my boss and explain I needed to claim more chocolates on my expenses, that was a embarrassing call. I’d done the same thing for last 6 years, stored chocs in the garage and not so much as a nibbled box was found prior to this year. There were about 30 boxes containing bottles of wine and they are saturated in what smells like rat p!ss so they are all for the tip also. He was quite kind about it and saw the funny side. (Glad someone can)

Ground work crew just demolished a site with an old garden nursery on it behind our house I think they kept ducks and chickens there as well. They are building 30 new houses and the rats have been displaced buy the building work and looks like they headed our way.

I have a couple of Rat traps (Big mouse traps with peanut butter bait, no joy so far) but if anyone has any tips on getting rid of them, preventing them coming back or just some funny vermin related stories to cheer me up it would be appreciated.

Do you like peanut butter because you 're actually a Badger ? I say this as I once put peanut butter out to attract Badgers and they came from miles around ( and because you call yourself Alba the Badger ) . Rats are more partial to an Italian tomato based dish which often has onions , courgettes in it - you know the one ? ... can't quite remember the name . The other alternative deterrent is to play that Stranglers album over and over again - can't remember the name again .. or just get pissed as a ... and forget about it all

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Do you like peanut butter because you 're actually a Badger ? I say this as I once put peanut butter out to attract Badgers and they came from miles around ( and because you call yourself Alba the Badger ) . Rats are more partial to an Italian tomato based dish which often has onions , courgettes in it - you know the one ? ... can't quite remember the name . The other alternative deterrent is to play that Stranglers album over and over again - can't remember the name again .. or just get pissed as a ... and forget about it all

Oh I know the dish, whats it called.....:smile:

Wish i was attracting Badgers to my house rather than Rats. Lovely creatures Badgers.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Do be very careful with your personal hygiene when cleaning the area, key thing washing your hands.

Rat piss contains leptospirosis, which is very easy to contract and can leave you unwell for months.

Or worse.... see death of Olympian rower Andy Holmes and partner to Steve Redgrave.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No, not Palace fans, the furry kind of vermin. B&stard rats have been in my garage and decimated over £200 worth of Celebrations and Cadbury’s Heroes tubs that I’d bought to give out to customers over the festive period. The furry little ars£ holes have chewed straight through the plastic boxes and run off with the swag. I say run off, they have deposited most of it around the garage in small piles in boxes where they have chewed and pissed all over lots of old of old baby clothes (My wife was in bits about this, all the things we’d kept from the boys when they were little) and other assorted bits and bobs.

Horrific job clearing it all out, the warm stench of rat piss and chocolate will remain in my nostrils for a long while and I doubt i'll eat any chocolate for ages. Put everything in the bin, went to empty bin, bloody rat jumped out and ran away. My dog goes mental for squirrels but she didn’t even think about the chase. Smart dog.

Had to call my boss and explain I needed to claim more chocolates on my expenses, that was a embarrassing call. I’d done the same thing for last 6 years, stored chocs in the garage and not so much as a nibbled box was found prior to this year. There were about 30 boxes containing bottles of wine and they are saturated in what smells like rat p!ss so they are all for the tip also. He was quite kind about it and saw the funny side. (Glad someone can)

Ground work crew just demolished a site with an old garden nursery on it behind our house I think they kept ducks and chickens there as well. They are building 30 new houses and the rats have been displaced buy the building work and looks like they headed our way.

I have a couple of Rat traps (Big mouse traps with peanut butter bait, no joy so far) but if anyone has any tips on getting rid of them, preventing them coming back or just some funny vermin related stories to cheer me up it would be appreciated.

I had mice problems recently, got some traps and put peanut butter in them as advised on the box.
Not a sausage.
So I put bread or biscuit in the traps and caught 8 in one week and not seen one for ages now.
Not convinced peanut butter works so try something else.
Looks like your rats like chocolate, makes sense to put a celebration in there.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I had mice problems recently, got some traps and put peanut butter in them as advised on the box.
Not a sausage.
So I put bread or biscuit in the traps and caught 8 in one week and not seen one for ages now.
Not convinced peanut butter works so try something else.
Looks like your rats like chocolate, makes sense to put a celebration in there.

Funny, mice ignored several things here, but wiped them out with peanut butter, 5 in one day was a PB!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Funny, mice ignored several things here, but wiped them out with peanut butter, 5 in one day was a PB!

Maybe I have fussy mice.
I'm a bit of a cheapskate and got some Morrisons basic smooth.
I will try some Sun Pat crunchy next time, I refuse to go as far as that whole earth stuff, that would just be silly.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I know people suggested professional help but often this involves laying poison which to me is a bad option as a) other creatures you don't want to kill might eat it b) other creatures might eat the dead rats and be indirectly poisoned c) the poisoned rats might just go to some hard to get to place to die and rot.

I had rats in the garden last year and bought a humane trap and caught 7 in about 10 days , i did catch a couple of others but in my fear I dropped the trap and they jumped out and ran off.

I used peanut butter mixed with nutella in my trap and given your rats like chocolate they will know the nutella smell. Another option is to use a strong smelling (rotted) fish if you can put up with the smell.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Rat Zapper is the answer. Google it. I had similar situation when we had demolition of some sheds in a neighbouring property and they decided to come into my garage. Killed about half dozen in a week and that was that. No mess and tipped into the bin.

D

Deleted member 2719

We had Chickens years ago, which immediately attract rats we I used to shoot them with a air rifle or set a noose up in their runs.
Being that you will get some neurotic liberal shouting for police or animal cruelty nowadays I would just get in the professionals.
I know a top pest controller in your area.
If you are interested PM me.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Rat Zapper is the answer. Google it. I had similar situation when we had demolition of some sheds in a neighbouring property and they decided to come into my garage. Killed about half dozen in a week and that was that. No mess and tipped into the bin.

We caught a couple of mice in ours that I thought of as "collateral damage" in our war against rats. But no rats.

The main problem was that we placed ours outside, admittedly against the guidance, but we wrapped it securely in waterproof material so that the damp couldn't bugger up the electrics.

The foxes smelt the bait and chucked the thing around every night until they – in partnership with the damp – succeeded in buggering the electrics.

I'm sure in a garage or shed they work fine.

(Another note of caution – those things do generate a nasty shock for any humans handling them in a cack-handed way.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here