Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Venables & McClaren

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
You've probably all seen this before but I hadn't so here goes!

McClaren and Tel before the game & it is true- picked up by secet microphone.......

Mc – Right, Tel, thanks to Israel I can still get us through to the Euros and
can’t afford any mistakes. Goalkeeper – who’s the best in the country?
TV – Rob Green
Mc – Don’t know him. Is he in the squad?
TV – No.
Mc – Who have we got – I can’t afford to play that clown Robinson again?
TV - James and Carson.
Mc – Who would you go for?
TV – Well James is in good form and has more experience.
Mc – Hmmmmm, James cost Sven a few games, I’ll go with Carson. Defence picks
itself; Nev, JT, Rio and Ash.
TV – They’re all injured, Steve.
Mc – Oh. Well, Micah at right back, Ledley and Carra in the middle and the other
fella who can only kick with one foot on the left.
TV – Ledley’s injured, Steve - and Carra refuses to play for his country.
Mc – Who does that leave me?
TV – Lescott and Sol.
Mc – There must be other centre halves?
TV – They’re all foreigners, Steve.
Mc – Lescott? I thought he was a left back, never mind, he’s in. Midfield is
easy Becks, Lamps, Stevie G and Joey.
TV – I wouldn’t start with Becks, Steve. Not fit and playing in a Mickey Mouse
league.
Mc – Well I saw him a few weeks ago and he scored twice in a 14-4 win.
TV – Save him towards the end in case we need a get out of jail card like
against Greece.
Mc – Good idea – so we’ll play the little fella on the right. You know,quick
with no end product.
TV – Lennon?
Mc – No, the other one. He’s Dad will be in the TV studio, so that should go
down well. So that’s SWP, Lamps, Stevie G and Joey.
TV – Steve, you know Frank and Stevie G can’t play together, even my old mum
knows that.
Mc – Only because neither one is defensive. I’m going to put another man behind
them, Barry. That’ll fool Bilic. Now, up front. I think we should play the two
that caused Russia so many problems here.
TV – Heskey and Owen?
Mc – Yep.
TV – They’re both injured.
Mc - $hit – who would you play?
TV – Rooney and Ashton.
Mc – Excellent, two class players, they’re in.
TV – They’re both injured.
Mc – Fck me, have I upset the big man up there?
TV – Who, Barwick?
Mc –No THE big man.
TV – Crouchy won’t let you down.
Mc – How many goals has he scored this season?
TV – None
Mc – None? Is he the best we’ve got?
TV – We’ve got Defoe and Bent as well. They’ve got one goal between them.
Mc – One goal between 3 of our best players, why is that?
TV – Too many foreigners in the Premiership.
Mc – Tel, I’m struggling here, do you think I’m out of my depth?
TV – Don’t be silly, look at your CV, how many trophies have you won?
Mc – None.
TV – I’ve just remembered, I’ve got to speak to my solicitor about redundancy
compensation.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Didn't he win the league cup with Middlesborough? (pedantic I know!)

He also took them to a UEFA Cup final, did a fabulous job there. If he was given time with England and had the support of the fans and press I have no doubt he'd have done a similar job at England. Whoever gets him next (looking like a fight between Derby and Middlesbrough for his services) will be getting themselves a top manager.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
He also took them to a UEFA Cup final, did a fabulous job there. If he was given time with England and had the support of the fans and press I have no doubt he'd have done a similar job at England. Whoever gets him next (looking like a fight between Derby and Middlesbrough for his services) will be getting themselves a top manager.

Such a great job at Boro that their fans could not wait to see the back of him.

Given recent posts by you I'm starting to think that you actually are Brian Barwick. Can I slap your head please?

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
You just HAVE to be on a wind-up:D

I would honestly rather have Dean Wilkins in charge of the England team than McLaren. He was shit at Middlesborough (remember the fan throwing his season ticket at him?), and he was a joke with England. The only people anywhere near as incompetant as McLaren are the twats at the FA who gave him the job when the entire country could see he was useless.

Yes, but what happened the week after that season ticket incident (where they last 4-0 at home to a crap Villa side) ? They beat Chelsea 3-0, went a winning run, got to the Uefa Cup final and he left Middlesborough as a hero, so quickly people forget

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
What was "unbelievably good" about it, save getting dumped on in the UEFA Cup final? He spent plenty of money and did bugger all.

Middlesborough are a shit club which we can all agree, he won a league cup, qualified them for the Uefa Cup and got them to a Uefa Cup final, what the f*** were MIDDLESBOROUGH doing in a Uefa Cup final !

Middlesborough are a shit club which we can all agree, he won a league cup, qualified them for the Uefa Cup and got them to a Uefa Cup final, what the f*** were MIDDLESBOROUGH doing in a Uefa Cup final !

He did well to get them to a UEFA cup final, but do you remember how he got them there? That was what worried me when he was appointed for England...

"Ooo we need 1/2/3 goals in the last ten minutes, lets throw on a couple of strikers and hope that they pull something out of the bag"

Maccarone scored about 5 goals in the last 5 minutes of games in the UEFA cup when McClaren had thrown on all the strikers he could find in the hope of scrambling a goal/2 goals/3 goals.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Middlesborough fans were DELIGHTED to see him go. Hardly a "hero":D

I bet they'd all love him back now, you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

He led Middlesbrough to the largest period of sustained success in their history, now if that's a bad manager then I'm Elmer Fudd.

I bet they'd all love him back now, you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

He led Middlesbrough to the largest period of sustained success in their history, now if that's a bad manager then I'm Elmer Fudd.

Sustained success??? He won the League Cup, then got to the final of the UEFA cup (entry to which was only gained as a result of aforementioned league cup win). That's at most 2 seasons of 'success', hardly sustained.

Having said that, he wasn't as shit as Gareth Southgate. But Southgate doesn't have any strikers, which can't help.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Sustained success??? He won the League Cup, then got to the final of the UEFA cup (entry to which was only gained as a result of aforementioned league cup win). That's at most 2 seasons of 'success', hardly sustained.

Having said that, he wasn't as shit as Gareth Southgate. But Southgate doesn't have any strikers, which can't help.

wrong, they got to the uefa cup the first time after winning the league cup, then they qualified for it properly the year after. And last season Southgate had Yakubu and Viduka and was still shit

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
wrong, they got to the uefa cup the first time after winning the league cup, then they qualified for it properly the year after. And last season Southgate had Yakubu and Viduka and was still shit

However their league form in their last season under McLaren was pretty similar to their league form last season under Southgate, poor. In actual fact in McLaren's last season they finished 14th and last season they finished 12th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here