Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Venables & McClaren

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Middlesborough are a shit club which we can all agree, he won a league cup, qualified them for the Uefa Cup and got them to a Uefa Cup final, what the f*** were MIDDLESBOROUGH doing in a Uefa Cup final !
And who got them to turn the corner? It wasn't McClaren. It was Southgate and the senior players telling him what to do. A bit like the England rugby team after the 36-0 W.C. defeat by South Africa in the Group match.

McClaren is a nice bloke, an excellent coach but a shit manager. This proven, I cannot see any grey areas. Anyone who argues that he is in fact a good manager is very deluded, wearing Stevie Wonders' specs or just a complete knobjockey. Take your pick.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
McLaren rode his luck while at Boro, but he did a pretty good job there. However, the Boro fan I know said at the time he was appointed England coach he wouldn't be up to the job.

McLaren rode his luck while at Boro, but he did a pretty good job there. However, the Boro fan I know said at the time he was appointed England coach he wouldn't be up to the job.

You can say he did a pretty good job but how much money did he spend? Not just on transfers but they had an enormous wage bill. How well would he have done with the Reading team that got promoted with little money to spend?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Let's get the facts straight and stop "knee-jerking" after the shit Euro 2008 campaign.

Boro's OWN OFFICIAL WEBSITE describes McLaren as the most successful manager in the club's history.

And what the f*** has the "what if managing Reading" scenario got to do with anything?! If my granny had balls she'd be my grandad...

How much did he spend on Maccarone?!?

I think it was £8.25m. Which I make as about £7m too much.

He achieved something, yes. But he did it with large wads of cash with which to buy players and pay their wages. As someone with a better memory than me said, they finished in the bottom half in his last season. They were absolutely dreadful at the start of his last season, culminating in the season ticket holder going and ripping up the ticket in McClarens face. However, they went on a late run (managing to finish in the dizzy heights of 14th after such a good run shows how poor they had been earlier in the season) which just so happened to coincide with the interviews for the England job.

He is an average manager that got lucky. And say as much as you want about how he was 'a really good manager at Boro', I'll bet you all thought he'd be shit as England manager. If he did such a good job for Boro, why did the vast vast majority of people correctly guess that he'd be rubbish at the England job?

Let's get the facts straight and stop "knee-jerking" after the shit Euro 2008 campaign.

Boro's OWN OFFICIAL WEBSITE describes McLaren as the most successful manager in the club's history.

And what the f*** has the "what if managing Reading" scenario got to do with anything?! If my granny had balls she'd be my grandad...

This is not knee-jerk though. I thought he was under-achieving at Boro, I thought he would make a terrible England manager, I thought he made a catalogue of errors right through his tenure as England manager and since his departure I see no reason to change my opinion.

To say he was the most successful Boro manager ever is like being the best German stand-up comic ever. It means nothing.

The Reading comment simply highlights that without the money keeping his head above water he would have sunk a long time ago.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
And who got them to turn the corner? It wasn't McClaren. It was Southgate and the senior players telling him what to do. A bit like the England rugby team after the 36-0 W.C. defeat by South Africa in the Group match.

well if its all down to the players then dont blame him for England being shit, blame the players !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here