Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR decision on Estupiñán goal

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The obvious thing to do is just get rid as VAR has made the game less entertaining and thus worse, judged against its only real reason for existing.

If that can't happen (and why not?) Then a ten second rule and everything, including offside, based on 'clear and obvious'. If it isn't a clear and obvious error that can be spotted almost instantly, then on field decision stands.

It will still leave some mistakes, but then so does the current farce. It will get rid of the worst errors, without significantly disrupting the game.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Thing is they are still making a bloody big howler in only saying that it was two cock ups. Why are they ignoring the one miss that for me epitomises why we needed VAR in the first place? The deliberate hand ball by Soucek, cameras and commentators were all over it in an instant yet VAR chose to ignore it

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Having seen it again When Ali Mac got a yellow I have seen red cards given for less. Have we got VAR to thank or cant they upgrade a yellow
"Seeing red cards given for less" shouldn't be the bar though.
You could equally argue that Robertson's challenge on Mac is the bar for yellow cards.

Contact with Studs onto shinpad doesn't necessarily make it a sending off offence.

The red card is available for reckless challenges, or intent to endanger the opponent.
This was not the case with Mac. He was in control and withdrew his foot after contact.

Doucoure's challenge on Estupinan later in the game was more dangerous, but (rightly) a yellow.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Without checking that's a minimum of 3 official apologies from PGMOL, for VAR errors
  • Palace
  • Liverpool
  • Southampton (penalty outside the area)
Not forgetting the Lee Mason meltdown at West Brom of course.

Is that high?
It seems high. Or have all clubs got similar tallies?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Asian betting syndicates are the obvious reason for yesterday’s errors are they?

That’s a mental and somewhat ridiculous conclusion to come to!
In what world could an official accidently fail to check for offside? I what world could an official fail to see the defender a yard nearer the goal? Not this one. So it is more likely to be deliberate error.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
In what world could an official accidently fail to check for offside? I what world could an official fail to see the defender a yard nearer the goal? Not this one. So it is more likely to be deliberate error.
No. No it isn’t.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Any excuse m for a bit of the old east vs west crap.

I reckon it was more down to the VAR team too concerned about the speed of the decision.
It takes a single glance in a few milliseconds to see that the line is drawn to the wrong player's foot. I don't see how the officials could not see it, so it's likely they deliberately ignored it. Cricket, tennis and snooker have all had matchfixing involving Asian betting syndicates. Sorry to offend you but Asia is where the betting syndicates operate.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
It takes a single glance in a few milliseconds to see that the line is drawn to the wrong player's foot. I don't see how the officials could not see it, so it's likely they deliberately ignored it. Cricket, tennis and snooker have all had matchfixing involving Asian betting syndicates. Sorry to offend you but Asia is where the betting syndicates operate.
I’m not offended at all. I just don’t think it was match fixing and I don’t think Asia has anything to do with it.

But you’re still entitled your theory.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Without checking that's a minimum of 3 official apologies from PGMOL, for VAR errors
  • Palace
  • Liverpool
  • Southampton (penalty outside the area)
Not forgetting the Lee Mason meltdown at West Brom of course.

Is that high?
It seems high. Or have all clubs got similar tallies?
Not forgetting disallowing Dunk’s goal at Arsenal, when despite blowing the whistle, the goalie ‘wasn’t ready’.

And of course, allowing a penalty after the final whistle against Man Utd.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I was in favour of VAR, but if they are going to make as many mistakes as they seem to do each week, then what is the point ( other than giving Dermot Gallagher some gainful employment on Sky)
Offsides have to go fully automated,and have some reasonable level of doubt. I would almost like to see the equivalent of Umpires Call, I e. If it is very tight, stick with the on field decision. If it is clearly offside (daylight rule) give offside.
Off side is binary, you can't have reasonable doubt, you are off or you are on.

VAR needs to get in the bin

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Off side is binary, you can't have reasonable doubt, you are off or you are on.

VAR needs to get in the bin
The problem is that you can have reasonable doubt with the current technology.
Assessing when to freeze the frame is open to error, as is the number of frames per second.
This will improve, but the technology at present allows for millimetre decisons to be contentious.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The problem is that you can have reasonable doubt with the current technology.
Assessing when to freeze the frame is open to error, as is the number of frames per second.
This will improve, but the technology at present allows for millimetre decisons to be contentious.

There will be some screen somewhere that backs up a case for it being on/off which would be used to complain

What guidelines would you use for reasonable doubt?

Some of the decisions are laughable, that's not just down to the refs

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Not forgetting disallowing Dunk’s goal at Arsenal, when despite blowing the whistle, the goalie ‘wasn’t ready’.

And of course, allowing a penalty after the final whistle against Man Utd.
Dunks goal where the keeper wasn't ready was at West Brom wasn't it?

There is nothing wrong with allowing a penalty after the final whistle. It is allowed under the laws of the game.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I cannot see how the 2 decisions yesterday against Brighton and Arsenal can be down to incompetence. Mason literally "forgot" to draw the lines and check for offside. Brooks literally "did not see" the other defender nearer the goal. It has to be deliberate, corrupt decision-making. We've had match-fixing in cricket, tennis and snooker, driven by Asian betting syndicates. It is the obvious reason for yesterday's "errors".
Not sure how you can discount incompetence when Lee Mason is involved

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Why this persistent search for a reason to disallow a goal? When Pervis scored everyone thought it was a wonderful goal. The lino never signalled and we all celebrated. What was served by wasting several minutes scrutinising the footage and then drawing a line in the wrong place? If it emerges much later that closer scrutiny proves that the player was fractionally offside then so be it. In this case it wouldn’t because the VAR cocked it up but you know what I mean.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Just a shame Ivor Caplin's not still in the corridors of power, he could have asked a question in Parliament.

Whatever happened to Phil Prosser?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just a shame Ivor Caplin's not still in the corridors of power, he could have asked a question in Parliament.

Whatever happened to Phil Prosser?
Asking a question in Parliament won't change anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here