Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR decision on Estupiñán goal

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dunks goal where the keeper wasn't ready was at West Brom wasn't it?

There is nothing wrong with allowing a penalty after the final whistle. It is allowed under the laws of the game.
Yes, it was at West Brom, but it was Lee Mason.

I was fairly sure something controversial also happened at the Emirates? Oh well, the memory isn't what it was.

The penalty made be allowed after the final whistle but I believe it was the first we'd heard of it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Whatever happened to Phil Prosser?
Hes an ambassador for a charity that look to support and represent the interests of referees at all levels of the game, especially at grassroots.

The penalty made be allowed after the final whiste but I believe it was the first we'd heard of it.

It may have been the first some people had heard of it because it is a incredibly rare occurrence, but its defined in the laws of the game. So it's not something we can say was an error against us by VAR.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Well Whoopie do

Maybe the club should be demanding some changes not just accepting it.
The fans should always come first and VAR is destroying enjoyment on a match day
Something needs to change and just blithely accepting it isn’t going to change anything at all.
I totally agree that the club should be kicking up hell abot the incompetence / corruption of the VAR officials.

If we just sit back and shrug and adopt the "well, they did say sorry" approach nothing will ever change. VAR is killing the game.

I watch all the live WSL1 games and it is a joy not to have the games blighted by VAR.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
VAR was brought in to address in, in the main part to address very poor officiating. The problem is that the very same officials that VAR was brought in to ‘address’ are the idiots running VAR. Binning VAR would just take us back to the same officials cocking up. Getting rid of VAR would just give them the excuse to be crap.

We just need competent VAR officials. No more, no less.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There will be some screen somewhere that backs up a case for it being on/off which would be used to complain

What guidelines would you use for reasonable doubt?

Some of the decisions are laughable, that's not just down to the refs

Cricket adopted Umpire's call for their most complicated decision (LBW).

Cricket has:
  1. a fixed camera
  2. a static target,
  3. monitoring a single object
  4. travelling through a predefined area.
  5. Proven, Industry leading software to evaluate the decision
Football has:
  1. Multiple camera angles
  2. Multiple targets to assess
  3. a split second window to assess
  4. Cameras at the wrong angle.
  5. MS paint to draw lines on a screenshot from video playback (seemingly)
And yet, "Offside is offside"
Ludicrous we have accepted this for so long.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Cricket adopted Umpire's call for their most complicated decision (LBW).

Cricket has:
  1. a fixed camera
  2. a static target,
  3. monitoring a single object
  4. travelling through a predefined area.
  5. Proven, Industry leading software to evaluate the decision
Football has:
  1. Multiple camera angles
  2. Multiple targets to assess
  3. a split second window to assess
  4. Cameras at the wrong angle.
  5. MS paint to draw lines on a screenshot from video playback (seemingly)
And yet, "Offside is offside"
Ludicrous we have accepted this for so long.
6. Antiquated stadiums (Selhurst park) that can't even get a camera in line with the penalty box.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I was in favour of VAR, but if they are going to make as many mistakes as they seem to do each week, then what is the point ( other than giving Dermot Gallagher some gainful employment on Sky)
Offsides have to go fully automated,and have some reasonable level of doubt. I would almost like to see the equivalent of Umpires Call, I e. If it is very tight, stick with the on field decision. If it is clearly offside (daylight rule) give offside.

Not to say all video replay officials are correct on every call in the States but this is the way many sport in the US are called by video officials. It is not the job of the video official to remake a call already made by the official on the field/court of play but to review the video of the play and if there is an obvious error by the on the field/court official made evident by the video evidence then the video official may then reverse the call. If not an obvious error then the call made by the on field/court official stands. In baseball there are 3 options. 1. Reverse call (obvious error), 2. inconclusive video (call stands as called by on field umpire), 3. call correct (no change to call).

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
John Brooks removed from tonight’s Merseyside derby & Man City / Arsenal.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
6. Antiquated stadiums (Selhurst park) that can't even get a camera in line with the penalty box.
Agreed, but the nature of the game means that being sure you can always be in line with the critical moment is challenging even for decent cameras.

The new technology looks amazing, but we are still trusting that it's a true representation of the critical moment.
I'm not convinced.
If cricket needs Umpire's call when it's using Hawkeye, then I think football definitely needs something similar.
Use the new tech, but if it judges you to be less than the agreed tolerance offside/onside, go with the ref's call.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yes, it was at West Brom, but it was Lee Mason.

I was fairly sure something controversial also happened at the Emirates? Oh well, the memory isn't what it was.

The penalty made be allowed after the final whistle but I believe it was the first we'd heard of it.
There have been countless examples where we've been on the wrong end of controversial decisions ( 3 clear and obvious penalties not given against Welbeck alone)

I was purely referencing the ones SO BAD that the PGMOL had to apologise, rather than the "suck it up buttercup", we have become accustomed to.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
What really p*sses me off is that those in charge of VAR are drawing a line FFS..........a simple line, not brain surgery !! Still furious:mad:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
There have been countless examples where we've been on the wrong end of controversial decisions ( 3 clear and obvious penalties not given against Welbeck alone)

I was purely referencing the ones SO BAD that the PGMOL had to apologise, rather than the "suck it up buttercup", we have become accustomed to.

PGMOL have made a point of apologising to Brighton and Arsenal this weekend because the correct PROCESS wasn't followed.

It's not the same as a "bad decision".

I see Chelsea fans realy struggling with this on social media, as they haven't had an apology.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Asking a question in Parliament won't change anything.
Sorry Piltdown old boy, it was slightly tongue in cheek regarding 'Red Ivor's' impromptu press conference at the Withdean after the 4-2 defeat to Sheff Utd with Prosser the man in black that day.

When Steve Coppell was told about Ivor's plan to ask a question in the House about Prosser's refereeing, Coppell dryly replied, "Shouldn't he be asking questions about more important things, like world peace?"

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
PGMOL have made a point of apologising to Brighton and Arsenal this weekend because the correct PROCESS wasn't followed.

It's not the same as a "bad decision".

I see Chelsea fans realy struggling with this on social media, as they haven't had an apology.
That's interesting, looking back I see the Liverpool decision was just an acceptance of a wrong decision, rather than an apology.
I seem to recall we received an apology for the Southampton decision, maybe not.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And that to me is the real issue. There's no way the cameras can't be in the same line of sight at all stadiums. If they can't they aren't allowed to play in the league. Clubs have to comply with endless conditions regarding the media yet there's very little about positioning of VAR cameras.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Off side is binary, you can't have reasonable doubt, you are off or you are on.

VAR needs to get in the bin
They are only binary if the technology (and the human interaction with it) is perfect. But as we saw at the weekend, it is not. Even without human error, there will be a technological margin of error as well (exact millisecond when ball is kicked, camera angle not exactly in line etc). The rules and VAR need to adjust to take these things into account

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Brooks has been stood down from VAR duty this week after his mistake in disallowing our goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here