Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR decision on Estupiñán goal

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
it would make for damn sight better officiating. like the VAR - i actually think it might still be borderline with the further player, but at least the line should be drawn from the last person. and why rely on such angles, given the propensity for offsides in the box, have a camera in line with penalty spot. its not so much right or wrong, its the shitty changes and poor application of rules and VAR that gets me.
Can’t they just put some sort of tag on all the players which can trigger a signal that an attacker is behind all the defenders?No need for rules such as arms, legs and earlobes being offside or not. We just accept the tag makes the call. Only problem is how would sky cope without all the drama VAR causes for the viewers who don’t know anything about football?
The last thing SKy wants is the game to lose its off-field drama. How does it sell the game in America without it?

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
You cannot accurately and scientifically get offside correct with VAR. Where - and when - the line is drawn is arbitrary and subject to human error. Just ditch the whole sorry system

Agree 100%. The only official in line with the play was the linesman, the VAR camera is at least 10 yards behind. How it can even be considered to overturn the goal is so mind bogglingly stupid it’s doing my head in. Get rid, now…

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I think the blue line is meant to be drawn to the last defender's shoulder but, from that angle, it looks as though it can't be drawn vertically to the blue horizontal line. An explanation from @FA_PGMOL (twitter) is required (to be laughed at).

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The football authorities are too invested in the myth that refereeing can be made infallible to ever admit that VAR was tried, has added nothing and should be abandoned. They need a way out that doesn't lose them face. The only way forward will be to change the rules.

The offside rule was introduced to make the game better. It does, because it makes the huge punt to a goal-hanger impossible. The people being ruled offside by these camera stills are not really gaining a perceivable advantage, so these marginal decisions are not making the game better. So change the law to reflect that. Redefine offside.

Penalty rules were introduced to prevent fouls that stop goal scoring opportunities, so change the rules to reflect this. They already do it with red card decisions. If it's not a goal chance, but is a foul, just give a free-kick wherever it happened. This would still be a disincentive and would make for a bit of penalty box chaos. Who wouldn't love that?

Don't use VAR to review red card decisions during the game. Let the ref do that. Either let the players know that VAR will be used post match to review decisions and bans may be applied retrospectively, or go down the 'orange card' route that could reflect the fact that there is a grey area and allow the ref some leeway if things are uncertain.

And change the handball back. It was clear and nobody had a problem with it. The removal of 'deliberate' is just pretending that refs don't have to make subjective decisions. They do and always will have to. That's their job.

Once you've done all this, you can keep your precious VAR. You'd hardly need it, but it would save you having to admit that the whole thing was an expensive mistake introduced to try to damp the gunpowder of the media who were re-refereeing every decision and that it has even failed miserably at doing that.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
If the people working on VAR can’t get the most basic element of the offside check correct, i.e. drawing the lines from the correct defender, what’s the shitting point in having the system in place at all?!

It makes a mockery of what is supposed to be the best and richest league in the world.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ok, so the idiots drew it from the wrong defender - but we need to know whether it would be offside had it been drawn from the correct defender.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Ok, so the idiots drew it from the wrong defender - but we need to know whether it would be offside had it been drawn from the correct defender.
The image posted on MOTD Twitter suggests to me that he would have been onside with lines from the correct defender.

How can they get away with impacting the integrity of the competition with no repercussions?

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I don’t think he is offside in that case. There’s not much in it from the wrong defender, Mitchell or whoever it is that’s semi-obscured is at least a foot behind the wrong line. I’d think Pervis is level at least.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Another issue I see with var is how do they determine when the pass is actually made, I don’t know the physics but I assume the foot is in contact with the ball for a fraction of a second, if the action is stopped a tenth of a second too late the attacking player could have moved fraction of a metre. At full speed a player would move nearly a metre in a tenth of a second. Too much margin of error when we are talking about cm.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
You cannot accurately and scientifically get offside correct with VAR. Where - and when - the line is drawn is arbitrary and subject to human error. Just ditch the whole sorry system
Bull sh1t!

In all other leagues they have none of these issues. The Spanish league has some excellent technology for offside, the officials are impotent, but that's another story

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I was in favour of VAR, but if they are going to make as many mistakes as they seem to do each week, then what is the point ( other than giving Dermot Gallagher some gainful employment on Sky)
Offsides have to go fully automated,and have some reasonable level of doubt. I would almost like to see the equivalent of Umpires Call, I e. If it is very tight, stick with the on field decision. If it is clearly offside (daylight rule) give offside.
I’ve long advocated umpires call. Let the lino do the job and check for howlers with the naked eye on VAR. None of this old blokes drawing lines b******ks

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bull sh1t!

In all other leagues they have none of these issues. The Spanish league has some excellent technology for offside, the officials are impotent, but that's another story
Are you saying they have people who can draw precisely the correct lines needed at the exact time to a nanosecond that the ball is kicked, and always from the correct angle?

Or do they get a bot to do it?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If the people working on VAR can’t get the most basic element of the offside check correct, i.e. drawing the lines from the correct defender, what’s the shitting point in having the system in place at all?!

It makes a mockery of what is supposed to be the best and richest league in the world.
If they can't get it right with the aid of technology, what hope do we have they will egt it right without it? - none.

Seriously have to question why our officials seem so poor time and time again, is it training, is it they feel the pressure of the home crwod, do they show a bias in their decision making that technology is supposed to eliminate? (but clearly not happening) ....etc

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
The football authorities are too invested in the myth that refereeing can be made infallible to ever admit that VAR was tried, has added nothing and should be abandoned. They need a way out that doesn't lose them face. The only way forward will be to change the rules.

The offside rule was introduced to make the game better. It does, because it makes the huge punt to a goal-hanger impossible. The people being ruled offside by these camera stills are not really gaining a perceivable advantage, so these marginal decisions are not making the game better. So change the law to reflect that. Redefine offside.

Penalty rules were introduced to prevent fouls that stop goal scoring opportunities, so change the rules to reflect this. They already do it with red card decisions. If it's not a goal chance, but is a foul, just give a free-kick wherever it happened. This would still be a disincentive and would make for a bit of penalty box chaos. Who wouldn't love that?

Don't use VAR to review red card decisions during the game. Let the ref do that. Either let the players know that VAR will be used post match to review decisions and bans may be applied retrospectively, or go down the 'orange card' route that could reflect the fact that there is a grey area and allow the ref some leeway if things are uncertain.

And change the handball back. It was clear and nobody had a problem with it. The removal of 'deliberate' is just pretending that refs don't have to make subjective decisions. They do and always will have to. That's their job.

Once you've done all this, you can keep your precious VAR. You'd hardly need it, but it would save you having to admit that the whole thing was an expensive mistake introduced to try to damp the gunpowder of the media who were re-refereeing every decision and that it has even failed miserably at doing that.
100% agree with you on offsides and penalties. The number of penalties given for challenges that in no way denied a clear goal scoring opportunity are staggering. Unless the player is about to have a clear shot, they should be indirect free kicks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here