Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR decision on Estupiñán goal

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I was in favour of VAR, but if they are going to make as many mistakes as they seem to do each week, then what is the point ( other than giving Dermot Gallagher some gainful employment on Sky)
Offsides have to go fully automated,and have some reasonable level of doubt. I would almost like to see the equivalent of Umpires Call, I e. If it is very tight, stick with the on field decision. If it is clearly offside (daylight rule) give offside.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
My guess is that is angle VAR used to disallow the goal. The justification is likely to be because they didn't have full view of the defender behind, (the one playing Estupinan on) they used the the one in front.

Terrible decision
if they can't get an angle that clearly shows all defenders (or their is doubt because a defender is obscured) then they are meant to go with on field decision. That's what happened in the Liverpool vs Wolves FA Cup game when a goal was disallowed and VAR couldn't get a definitive angle so had to go with the on field decision.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It doesn’t matter how amateur it gets this system still plods on ruining games on a week by week basis.

There were not this many poor decisions or mistakes discussed before VAR it’s a complete joke. All VAR has achieved is show us what we already knew that the standard of refereeing in this country is really poor.

Yoda

English & European
What’s the red line actually showing? I can’t work out which body part it’s supposed to pertain to.
The red line is Pervis' shoulder, which is correct. The blue line, if meant to be Guehi's shoulder, cannot be in the correct place as the camera angle has him well behind Tomkins yet the line on the pitch says he's level with his feet. If that is the case, then Guehi would have to be merged with Tomkins (physically impossible), or his body would need to be more in line with Gross from the direct line of sight from the camera.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
At the moment it seems this is the only picture released from what I can see. Looks onside to me but until other angles are released we can never be 100 per cent sure.
Was the only image shown on TV and assumed the only one available otherwise they would have used a better one.

This is far from conclusive and the goal should have stood as a result

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I would assume so otherwise the decision would've taken longer to come to.
I don't know. They showed that image with the lines, and 'offside' on my stream - but it was a good 30 seconds+ before they gave the decision in the ground. So maybe they did have a different angle somewhere?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
VAR an utter abomination. It's been the worst development in the history of football and should be removed immediately until they can find tech which works and people skilled enough to use it.

Disallowing goals like that when miles onside, disallowing goals like MacAllister v Leicester. Total disgrace.

I hate the obvious scouring for reasons to disallow.

I hate the bias involved as well. Does the line get drawn there if it's Liverpool or Arsenal on the attack? Obviously not.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not the first time seen a shocking VAR call where a player is slightly obscured so they completely ignore them despite most certainly playing on side.

its not just the VAR, this could be solved by calling Undev offside. it really is time they scrapped the "active player" shite, have the linesman make a call, only go to VAR if he makes a howler.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
To me it looks offside, looks like Pervis’ shoulder is leaning offside, but ultimately you can’t be 100% sure from that angle. If we’re going to have to suffer VAR, surely we need to have absolute certainly and total clarity on such marginal calls. From that angle you cannot see the whole picture so to make a decision from that is ridiculous.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
not the first time seen a shocking VAR call where a player is slightly obscured so they completely ignore them despite most certainly playing on side.

its not just the VAR, this could be solved by calling Undev offside. it really is time they scrapped the "active player" shite, have the linesman make a call, only go to VAR if he makes a howler.
Well ok., but imagine that Undav hadn't been there. There's still an incorrect decision made here. You're suggestion wouldn't improve anything,. but lead to a lot more breaks in play

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
To me it looks offside, looks like Pervis’ shoulder is leaning offside, but ultimately you can’t be 100% sure from that angle. If we’re going to have to suffer VAR, surely we need to have absolute certainly and total clarity on such marginal calls. From that angle you cannot see the whole picture so to make a decision from that is ridiculous.
You’d have assumed when VAR was first being proposed, a view in-line with the last defender was what we were being sold with the office decisions. Appalling what VAR actually is.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Last defender's knee seen behind defender in front him. Blue line clearly behind last defender's knee, shoulder, right bollock.

offside bollocks.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well ok., but imagine that Undav hadn't been there. There's still an incorrect decision made here. You're suggestion wouldn't improve anything,. but lead to a lot more breaks in play
it would make for damn sight better officiating. like the VAR - i actually think it might still be borderline with the further player, but at least the line should be drawn from the last person. and why rely on such angles, given the propensity for offsides in the box, have a camera in line with penalty spot. its not so much right or wrong, its the shitty changes and poor application of rules and VAR that gets me.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The answer is none of us know.

The picture is blurred and from totally the wrong angle.

It does look on first view that it has drawn from the wrong defender. But I'm not going to jump around like a deranged monkey until I see the facts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here