Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Season Loan To Sevilla 23/08/24**

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Hurzeler was also asked on the future of left back Valentin Barco, following his link with season loan to Sevilla. "The most important are the players that work here. If the player does not have the feeling he can't do it here, then they have to look for another way.”

Sounds like an unhappy player and a bit of a falling-out (presumably because he couldn’t be given guarantees on starting). Might explain Hinshelwood at left back v Everton
Doesn't sound good at all. It sounds like he is being shipped out to keep the peace rather than because we do not need him.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If 'doing an Undav' means we make a substatantial profit on him, then I'd be sad; but not too sad.
True, that is the other side of the coin, We do seem to be buying/chasing a lot of players in this 'honey money' period before the sustainability timeframe passes, but ultimately our model is still to develop and sell. Not all the signings are going to work out, some we'll take a hit on, and so some we will have to cash in on when/if we can - even if we don't want to lose them.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
If I were Barco, I would have expected to be a starter until Estupinan's return, which admittedly looks like it will come sooner rather than later. But surely he understood that thereafter, at best, he would rotate with Pervis, and at worst find himself second choice. Ferdi's signing shouldn't change things significantly what with our likely plan to play him on the right.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
Hurzeler was also asked on the future of left back Valentin Barco, following his link with season loan to Sevilla. "The most important are the players that work here. If the player does not have the feeling he can't do it here, then they have to look for another way.”

Sounds like an unhappy player and a bit of a falling-out (presumably because he couldn’t be given guarantees on starting). Might explain Hinshelwood at left back v Everton
My take on this is that Barco wants to be playing every week and who can blame him. He doesnt strike me as someone where the money is all that matters. I actually respect that he is looking to play elsewhere if we cant give him the playing time he wants here.
I personally thought he would be the main man at left back this season but as it appears he wont be then fair play to the lad. He just wants to play

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I was really hoping to see him at left back with Ferdi at right back, but perhaps he isn't strong enough defensively yet.

Barco feeding Mitoma would have been a hell of a threat, but then so is Estupinan.

I just hope he comes back at the end of the season ready to make his mark in the PL.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
This feels like our head scratchiest bit of business over the summer. Feels like a shame. I was really looking forward to seeing him kick on.
Yeah. All a bit of an odd one. Doesn't really feel like a 'model' development loan. Sevilla are much higher profile than us, often in Europe, a big European team. And yet they think they can offer him regular game time and we can't?

I wonder whether there is also some cultural element. Young lad struggling with the weather, culture etc. Can't believe we think he can walk into Sevillas squad but can't get games here though. Just hard to figure out. I presume there are a number of factors.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Th
Yeah. All a bit of an odd one. Doesn't really feel like a 'model' development loan. Sevilla are much higher profile than us, often in Europe, a big European team. And yet they think they can offer him regular game time and we can't?

I wonder whether there is also some cultural element. Young lad struggling with the weather, culture etc. Can't believe we think he can walk into Sevillas squad but can't get games here though. Just hard to figure out. I presume there are a number of factors.
They’re skint.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I will be disappointed to see him go, but ultimately, yes, you're right. (Ditto Buonanotte). As a policy it makes perfect sense, especially as our overall recruitment seems to have moved up a gear this season as we seem to be in the market for more 'oven ready' players.

I am slightly worried that he might 'do an Undav', but, well, them's the breaks.

It's disappointing Undav didn't want to be here, but understandable with his limited game time here, his age, success in his home country, and CL football next season. But we got a decent fee for him, so it's not all bad. Buonanotte is in a completely different position. He's the right age to be going out and getting more experience, to then return. I don't know what's happening with Sevilla right now though. Incredible record in Europe, but poor in La Liga at the moment.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
I have to say he often looks pretty miserable and introverted, especially off the pitch, but I don't know if that's his natural demeanour. I'd really hate to see him go out on loan but as always, we don't know the full story, and what's going on behind the scenes. I just hope it's in the development plan and nothing more ominous.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I have to say he often looks pretty miserable and introverted, especially off the pitch, but I don't know if that's his natural demeanour. I'd really hate to see him go out on loan but as always, we don't know the full story, and what's going on behind the scenes. I just hope it's in the development plan and nothing more ominous.
Remember Buononotte has gone. Perhaps that knocked his confidence being left on his own. There are the likes of Enciso and Perv but maybe he needed Buononotte around.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
My take on this is that Barco wants to be playing every week and who can blame him. He doesnt strike me as someone where the money is all that matters. I actually respect that he is looking to play elsewhere if we cant give him the playing time he wants here.
I personally thought he would be the main man at left back this season but as it appears he wont be then fair play to the lad. He just wants to play
This.

He is actually good enough to demand No.1 LB status and at his stage of career, he needs loads of minutes.

But Pervis is back trading and is our No.1. One of the best left backs in the EPL in 22/23. He’ll thrive under Hürzeler whilst Barco gains valuable minutes at a top side.

Then if big bids come in for Pervis next summer, we already have a replacement with potentially, a higher ceiling.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I haven't forgotten how good Pervis is.

I just think Barco is better.

I'm very much hoping estupinan gets back from his injury soon, hits the ground running, and goes on to be as good as he was when he first came in.

I don't think these are a given though. Massive risk to loan Barco.

At the very least it means playing a midfielder out of position until we can get ferdi in or Pervis back. The players hinsh will have to face are likely Garnacho and saka. Very tough.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

So for context, this comment was NOT specifically about Barco. The question was 'are there going to be more outgoings, we know Sima is off to Brest, and rumours about Barco leaving, are there others who will leave?'. Fab then answered that they are always transparent with players, they communicate openly, and try and do what's best for their development, and then said the comment above. It was clearly not directed at Barco specifcally.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pervis is recovering from injuries. Not yet back in full training. He is also quite prone to injuries. Having barco was a masterstoke. Sending him on loan is baffling.
Prone to injuries thanks to Roberto mismanagement (a bit like Mitoma) but hopefully over them now if we allow him to properly recovery.

He didn’t miss a game in his first season did he ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here