Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Season Loan To Sevilla 23/08/24**

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I guess this makes sense. Pre-RDZ we let nearly all our young signings develop in other leagues and when they arrived at Brighton they pretty much hit the ground running. Mitoma, Adingra, White, Caicedo, MacAlister, van Hecke, Sanchez. Yes in some cases this was for visa reasons but it was also part of the succession planning - when one guy left we had a replacement ready out on loan.

But for the last year we've been developing our best youngsters in house, and it's gone as one might expect - players in and out of the team, individual performance up and down, team results up and down. Buonanotte, Enciso, Ferguson, Hinshelwood, Verbruggen, Baleba. In previous years each may have done a loan first, and each could probably have done with a solid season loan last year or the one before.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I’m somewhat disappointed that our ‘favourite’ young players are being loaned out - I had great hopes for a breakout this season from Barco and Buonanotte and was looking forward to seeing them develop - especially as I think the second half of last season was an anomaly and catalogue of errors for the whole Club on a number of levels so not a fair background to assess them against.

I can only think it is because the recruits we have had coming in (eg Wieffer and Minteh especially) have shown a greater level of skill and quality than either of those can provide on the pitch at the moment and it’s a testament to our ambitions and how fast we are progressing as a Club.

We obviously need to cut our cloth accordingly too this season so I suspect the loan decisions are partly financial - it’s all very well spending £1m + on players to deepen the squad but they all need ongoing wages.

I wonder if Ferguson will be a loan target too?

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Looks like Barco's staying after all, it's just some bloke named Valentin Blanco we're shipping out :lolol:
Brighton are lining up some left-back hokey-cokey. Argentinian Valentín Blanco is wanted on loan by Sevilla, without the option of making it permanent, while Fenerbahce’s Ferdi Kadıoğlu is closing in on a swapping Istanbul for the Seagulls.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Sassy William Frawley GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’m somewhat disappointed that our ‘favourite’ young players are being loaned out - I had great hopes for a breakout this season from Barco and Buonanotte and was looking forward to seeing them develop

The reason we're not competing with the top clubs is because while we're developing talent, we're dropping points. They avoid this by buying the talent we've developed. If we can let our talented young players develop a bit more before being regulars here, maybe we can move up the table a bit.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The reason we're not competing with the top clubs is because while we're developing talent, we're dropping points. They avoid this by buying the talent we've developed. If we can let our talented young players develop a bit more before being regulars here, maybe we can move up the table a bit.
Yup. The season we came sixth we had Mitoma, Caicedo, Mac who had all developed elsewhere first, alongside a core of experienced regulars

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Up until the end of the last season we were competitive as a top half, mid table club. Players like Buonanotte , Hinsh, and Barco got more time off the bench last season because of injuries - the fact we had these talented youngsters to fall back on meant we finished 11th instead of 16th.

Not sure how competitive with top clubs people think we should be but we will never ‘compete‘ with these big clubs for the Champions League places whilst we are a middle income club - we simply don’t have the financial clout imo.

We may win matches against them at home, even away but a season’s overall performance needs more than beating Arsenal and Spurs at home - it requires a consistency of performance, squad depth that we can afford to maintain and talent we simply wont have without the silly investment money and size of stadia these clubs possess.

Our strategy is to keep improving simply to hold a high med table position, push for Europas - otherwise backsliding will happen very quickly in today's EPL.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yup. The season we came sixth we had Mitoma, Caicedo, Mac who had all developed elsewhere first, alongside a core of experienced regulars

Agreed, except that Mac developed here. Sure, he didn't start here, but he was a much better player when he left, than when he arrived.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hurzeler was also asked on the future of left back Valentin Barco, following his link with season loan to Sevilla. "The most important are the players that work here. If the player does not have the feeling he can't do it here, then they have to look for another way.”

Sounds like an unhappy player and a bit of a falling-out (presumably because he couldn’t be given guarantees on starting). Might explain Hinshelwood at left back v Everton

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I will be disappointed to see him go, but ultimately, yes, you're right. (Ditto Buonanotte). As a policy it makes perfect sense, especially as our overall recruitment seems to have moved up a gear this season as we seem to be in the market for more 'oven ready' players.

I am slightly worried that he might 'do an Undav', but, well, them's the breaks.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hurzeler was also asked on the future of left back Valentin Barco, following his link with season loan to Sevilla. "The most important are the players that work here. If the player does not have the feeling he can't do it here, then they have to look for another way.”

Sounds like an unhappy player and a bit of a falling-out (presumably because he couldn’t be given guarantees on starting). Might explain Hinshelwood at left back v Everton
Don't like the sound of that - and not just the confusing double negative either.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I will be disappointed to see him go, but ultimately, yes, you're right. (Ditto Buonanotte). As a policy it makes perfect sense, especially as our overall recruitment seems to have moved up a gear this season as we seem to be in the market for more 'oven ready' players.

I am slightly worried that he might 'do an Undav', but, well, them's the breaks.
If 'doing an Undav' means we make a substatantial profit on him, then I'd be sad; but not too sad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here