Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Season Loan To Sevilla 23/08/24**

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I'm really surprised at this news and I think we'll regret it. I think Barco is a brilliant player and we're fools to loan him out.

I think he’s brilliant too, but he’s going to get more game time next season if we can hit the European places this season.

And he’ll have had a year’s experience of playing in a European League too.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yeah, that worked out badly for Ben White, Mac, Sanchez, Caicedo, Adingra, Mitoma, Undav, JPVH.
mmmm ... you have a whole mixture of players there with different backgrounds. Mac's loan was to Boca to help soften the transition to England as his brother was there and he went to the best club in Argentina. Caicedo's loan was a disaster. Ben White & Sanchez were brought up through our juniors where there was an expectation to go out on . Undav & Mitoma did exceptionally well for USG , the latter went on loan there because of the rules, how many games did Undav actually play for us? JPVH again a junior working through the system. Barco & Buonanotte joined, played PL level football to a good level and now shipped out.... If i was a young south american player I might now think what's going on whereas this time last year it would have been clearer how you progress to first team football.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Conversely perhaps they could look at Enciso, Minteh, Joao Pedro, seemingly Gruda and see that it's done case by case.

Hinshelwood and Ferguson too if we're counting our own academy graduates.
Maybe , its all opinions and impossible to quantify.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Caicedo's loan was a disaster.
On what basis are you saying this? Caicedo has publicly said in the past that the time spent at Beerschot was important to his development. Even though he was only there from September to December, he played 14 times for them, averaging almost a game a week. We recalled him because Moder got injured and we needed a midfielder, not because the loan was a "disaster".

Sure, Beerschot were doing badly in the league. But we don't loan players out to help other teams win trophies, we loan them so our players develop the skills and capabilities we need them to have in the Premier League. There's no point sending a ball-winning midfielder to gain experience at a team that never loses the ball, is there? The nature of his game meant he *needed* to get experience at a struggling club, because that's where he'd get to hone his ball-winning capabilities.

He went to Beerschot as a player deemed too lightweight to be a DM in the Premier League, and came back as the best ball-winning midfielder this club has ever had. So how was his loan a "disaster"?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
mmmm ... you have a whole mixture of players there with different backgrounds. Mac's loan was to Boca to help soften the transition to England as his brother was there and he went to the best club in Argentina. Caicedo's loan was a disaster. Ben White & Sanchez were brought up through our juniors where there was an expectation to go out on . Undav & Mitoma did exceptionally well for USG , the latter went on loan there because of the rules, how many games did Undav actually play for us? JPVH again a junior working through the system. Barco & Buonanotte joined, played PL level football to a good level and now shipped out.... If i was a young south american player I might now think what's going on whereas this time last year it would have been clearer how you progress to first team football.
JPvH wasn't a youth product of the club, we brought him in at the same age Barco is now. And his trajectory shows we know what we're doing - we told him at the point of signing him that he'd first go out on loan in Holland, then the championship, then spend a year in the PL squad, then aim to be ready for first team. That's exactly the path that he followed, and it worked out pretty well.

Barco is a different level already, similar to Buonanotte, so his pathway is slightly different. He needs regular football and playing in La Liga is amazing experience for him, in a country where he speaks the language so easier to settle than a Championship/lower PL loan. Then he comes back next year a much better player, in a squad that is potentially playing in Europe, where he'll get more game time.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Barco is a different level already, similar to Buonanotte, so his pathway is slightly different. He needs regular football and playing in La Liga is amazing experience for him, in a country where he speaks the language so easier to settle than a Championship/lower PL loan. Then he comes back next year a much better player, in a squad that is potentially playing in Europe, where he'll get more game time.

Brighton have obviously found a club for Barco which will suit him personally- where he will be very much needed and as you say, a Spanish speaking environment which I think will make life much easier than it would be under Hürzeler (RDZ could speak fluent Spanish ) - I think Sevilla need him more than he needs Sevilla tbh. Sevilla are not the Club they used to be and will have to work really hard to get to a top half table finish this season, but regular starts in one of Europes top leagues will be good for him.

We also taken the unusual step of loaning one of our youth players out to a competitor in the EPL with a very good manager. City, under newly appointed Steve Cooper, may well be challenging us for a 6-9th finish this season - I think the fact we didn’t place Buonanotte with a Championship side or side low down in one of the European leagues is a testament to how we value him both as a player and market commodity. If Cooper continues to use Buonanotte in his preferred CAM position and he gets as much game time as he is physically capable of, he will come back to us, not only a much better conditioned player but worth a lot more on the transfer market imo.

Buonanotte heat maps v Spurs

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Brighton have obviously found a club for Barco which will suit him personally- where he will be very much needed and as you say, a Spanish speaking environment which I think will make life much easier than it would be under Hürzeler (RDZ could speak fluent Spanish ) - I think Sevilla need him more than he needs Sevilla tbh. Sevilla are not the Club they used to be and will have to work really hard to get to a top half table finish this season, but regular starts in one of Europes top leagues will be good for him.

We also taken the unusual step of loaning one of our youth players out to a competitor in the EPL with a very good manager. City, under newly appointed Steve Cooper, may well be challenging us for a 6-9th finish this season - I think the fact we didn’t place Buonanotte with a Championship side or side low down in one of the European leagues is a testament to how we value him both as a player and market commodity. If Cooper continues to use Buonanotte in his preferred CAM position and he gets as much game time as he is physically capable of, he will come back to us, not only a much better conditioned player but worth a lot more on the transfer market imo.

Buonanotte heat maps v Spurs

☝🏻 Good post this.

It’s going under the radar but the preparations we are making for 25/26 are fantastic. Whether it’s securing top level loans to the likes of Feyenoord or Seville or signing players like Yalcouye who have insane potential, our lover term future is looking very, very good. The Argie ‘B’s will hopefully be better players for the experience they gain in top level teams rather than warming our bench and waiting for an injury. Both would have been at least 3rd choice in their preferred positions.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Exactly my thoughts, he needs to play play play, there are glimmers of a cracking player there, just needs some experience...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It doesn't look right........

1EEF9613-8DA4-4628-A7EF-5AA9918179F9.jpeg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm really surprised at this news and I think we'll regret it. I think Barco is a brilliant player and we're fools to loan him out.
Hmmm, been a while since we could label our football operations as fools.

Appreciate you rate him and we might regret it, but fools? I don’t think so. You can make a mistake in judgement without being a fool.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
JPvH wasn't a youth product of the club, we brought him in at the same age Barco is now. And his trajectory shows we know what we're doing - we told him at the point of signing him that he'd first go out on loan in Holland, then the championship, then spend a year in the PL squad, then aim to be ready for first team. That's exactly the path that he followed, and it worked out pretty well.

Agree JP just had a standard progression, i.e. he was not positioned in first team and then moved back.

Everyone has their own view , with Barco & Buonanotte being first team and then shipped out on loan is not a good message. Hopefully I am wrong and that both individuals respond well and comeback better.

Of the two I was more surprised about Barco given that Pervis not back yet but to be fair to Hinshelwood he has shown how competent a player he is by playing out of position again, roasted by Harrison but better today.

Good job I am not the manager we would still be playing Murray.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Agree JP just had a standard progression, i.e. he was not positioned in first team and then moved back.

Everyone has their own view , with Barco & Buonanotte being first team and then shipped out on loan is not a good message.

They're teenagers who have been loaned out to top flight clubs where they can get regular minutes. I fail to see the negatives.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
They're teenagers who have been loaned out to top flight clubs where they can get regular minutes. I fail to see the negatives.
it depends if we need them at the Amex, more Barco than Facundo but Hinsh had a reasonably good day today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here