• Meh

Votes: 6 8.5%

• Total voters

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Pulis has said he is releasing Matt Upson, do you think we should keep him on, based on performances to date?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Is one of Abd or Greer out of contract? I'd take him but only on a year and on low ish wages but aren't we meant to be going in for van Dijk again over the Summer (though admittedly we might not manage to get him) and we also have Dunk so I'd assume one of Abd or Greer might make way if we did bring him in.

A definite yes for me so long as the wages are reasonable and the contract short.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
After his first game where he hoofed the ball up the field constantly, he seems to have adapted to our game very quickly...keep him I say

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
If we had a large budget, yes of course, he's got great pedigree.

Given his age and large wages though, I think it might be smarter to get a younger defender in such as Van Dijk.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
We've not seen enough of Upson yet to make a considered opinion for the future. He certainly looks the part so far and if would seem he is naturally left-footed?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Loving the new TSLR cover, by the way. Well done whoever is responsible.

Oh, and definitely keep him.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Think we'll need 2 new CB's regardless of what league we are in. Much would depend on budgets but he'd likely get my vote, in this league anyway

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Currently i wouldn't. A good player but hardly one for the future and not one i would want us to as yet build a defence around. I wouldn't scream TERRIBLE SIGNING if we bagged him, but i wouldn't be amazed either. If he keeps improving his passing game and getting into the spirit of what we are, then who knows though.

- - - Updated - - -

Currently i wouldn't. A good player but hardly one for the future and not one i would want us to as yet build a defence around. I wouldn't scream TERRIBLE SIGNING if we bagged him, but i wouldn't be amazed either. If he keeps improving his passing game and getting into the spirit of what we are, then who knows though.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Useful experience but if he wants MORE than 1 year deal we need to be in the champ. After another 18 months (next 6 and a year deal) he won't be Prem standard and thus wouldn't want him AT THAT POINT on Prem wages.

Of course if he signed on something like 8k not 25k and thus was on Champ wages we could offer him a couple of years even in Prem but why would he do that if we were?

Extra season in Champ on those wages wouldn't be a problem

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I personally think we might see an all change centre back pairing next season as opposed to the start of this season.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Certainly can do a job. Him and VVD at the back could be a great combo.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Would I like to keep a player who was starting in central defence for England at the last world cup?

Yeah, go on then.

In all seriousness, he was VERY good against Blackburn. You can just SEE a prem-trained defender, even once the legs become less mobile. The positioning was spot on.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
settled in well I think, plays the ball around nice and reads the game well. Cant see Dunk getting a look in unless of injuries and with Caldy as another option happy with the defence now.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Any wholesale changes in the back four is daft. There are only 3 other teams who have a slightly better 'goals against' record than ours. Sure, age comes into it but basically that's a pretty stable and effective part of our team's make-up. If it ain't broke, don't mend it.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I wouldn't say it's stable, we're leaking a lot of soft goals from crosses and set pieces. I think the players are good enough, just need more organisation and drilling to make sure everyone knows their job.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I consider VVD and Upson to be a much stronger combination than Greer and El Abd. I also think Greer is a weak captain; doesn't seem to be able to motivate and lead when the chips are down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here