Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 6 8.5%

• Total voters

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Certainly can do a job. Him and VVD at the back could be a great combo.

This is what I've been hoping for. A combination of ball winning CB and ball playing CB would be fantastic, with a mixture of pace and experience.

- - - Updated - - -

I consider VVD and Upson to be a much stronger combination than Greer and El Abd. I also think Greer is a weak captain; doesn't seem to be able to motivate and lead when the chips are down.

The only thing he seems to do is bollock the PIG. :shrug:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think Adam El-Abd (and Lewis Dunk) would benefit greatly from training and playing alongside Upson for a season, so it's a yes from me.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
If we had a large budget, yes of course, he's got great pedigree.

Given his age and large wages though, I think it might be smarter to get a younger defender in such as Van Dijk.

Ultimately it does come down to this. It's very hard for fans to make a judgement without knowing wages. At a reasonable wage he'd be great to have. As a top-earner alongside the defenders we already have, I'm not so sure.

If Greer hasn't already triggered a clause in his contract for another year with us (as some have suggested), then it would be an interesting to ask who fans would rather give a contract to if wages were similar - Greer or Upson.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes , got a feeling El Abd and Greer will be 2nd choices next season (if they stay) if we sign VVD too.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If Greer hasn't already triggered a clause in his contract for another year with us (as some have suggested), then it would be an interesting to ask who fans would rather give a contract to if wages were similar - Greer or Upson.

We'll find out shortly if he hasn't made enough appearances because he won't be selected.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Should sign him now on a pre-contract. Even if just for the huge amount of experience he will bring to the team to the likes of VVD, Dunk and any youngsters coming through.

If you'dve said 6 months ago that Matt Upson would be wearing a Brighton shirt, I would have laughed.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Abso-ruddy-lutely

The guy is a class act, and a joy to watch.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Played well in both games I watch and will improve with game time so yes from me. Think central defence will be strengtened in the summer and would not be at all surprised to see 2 new CB come in.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Everyone talking as though we've already got VVD in the summer, have you heard anything since the close of the window?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Sign him now.
He will be the perfect teacher for Virgil to learn from.Could also help Dunk progress too.
Good in the opposition box at corners and free kicks, may not be as fast as he was but reading the situation and positional play can make up for that.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If this was the only option then it's a big fat no from me. We already have an aging defense that was horrifically exposed by quick attacking teams like Palace and Watford who just happen to be above us. We need to inject some pace at the back.

Dec 29, 2011
I went for the "Yes, if we can afford him" option. I think he will come good, much like Woodgate, once he settles in he'll be a great defender in this league.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Should sign him now on a pre-contract. Even if just for the huge amount of experience he will bring to the team to the likes of VVD, Dunk and any youngsters coming through.

If you'dve said 6 months ago that Matt Upson would be wearing a Brighton shirt, I would have laughed.

I did have to pinch myself at the fact that we have two ex-England internationals in the back four the other night.

PIG, Bruno, Upson, VVD and Bridge as a back five looks pretty solid to me. :albion2:

- - - Updated - - -

If this was the only option then it's a big fat no from me. We already have an aging defense that was horrifically exposed by quick attacking teams like Palace and Watford who just happen to be above us. We need to inject some pace at the back.

And yet only three teams in the division have conceded fewer goals ???

- - - Updated - - -

And yet only three teams in the division have conceded fewer goals ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here