Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unlocking the door

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Fabregas and xavi both good examples, i dont agree with uncle buck that there is no place for them in the english game, but there are very few around especially at our level, where there is generaly more holding touch tackling players with box to box midfielders and creativity comming from the wings which is where i do agree with him.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Fabregas and xavi both good examples, i dont agree with uncle buck that there is no place for them in the english game, but there are very few around especially at our level, where there is generaly more holding touch tackling players with box to box midfielders and creativity comming from the wings which is where i do agree with him.

I do think there is a place for them, just generally the English game puts them out wide.

I remember ready after the 1998 World Cup that Joe Cole would take Gazza's place in the centre of the England midfield, in reality the game changed and Cole ended up out on the left. The physical side means you need strong players in the middle.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do think there is a place for them, just generally the English game puts them out wide.

I remember ready after the 1998 World Cup that Joe Cole would take Gazza's place in the centre of the England midfield, in reality the game changed and Cole ended up out on the left. The physical side means you need strong players in the middle.

I agree that the English game does tend to put them out wide (ie completely waste them).

Players like Joe Cole, Walcott, James Milner would all be played down the middle if they were Italian or Spanish.

If Messi was English, there is no way in a million years he would not have ended up a wasted winger.

But to say they do NOT exist anymore is guff. Just they are misused in the English game.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I agree that the English game does tend to put them out wide (ie completely waste them).

Players like Joe Cole, Walcott, James Milner would all be played down the middle if they were Italian or Spanish.

If Messi was English, there is no way in a million years he would not have ended up a wasted winger.

But to say they do NOT exist anymore is guff. Just they are misused in the English game.

I do not think they are misused. The Zidane's and Gerrard's are what changed the game and so the more creative players either go wide or play in front of a 3 man midfield.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I personally think Joe Cole and James Milner would both be far better, more effective players if played down the middle.

Again, due to his size there is no way Messi would ever be played down the middle if he was English, and thus he would never have become the World Class player he is.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The physical side means you need strong players in the middle.

That's a myth though isn't it? Look at Spain's midfield (best midfield in the world by a country mile) - practically all little blokes.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
That's a myth though isn't it? Look at Spain's midfield (best midfield in the world by a country mile) - practically all little blokes.

It is one country, and they still play with holding midfielders.

Germany have Ballack, a strong midfielder in the middle. The Italian midfield that won the World Cup was not overly creative, but it was strong.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
As long as we don't play the catenaccio style.

It would appear we are playing a derivation of a derivation of Catenaccio, namely Zona Mista...

220px-Zouna_mista.gif

And being a 1960's Italian ultra defensive formation, that would be seeking odd goal wins, this is what seems to be happening, but not with us scoring the goal ???

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Mata, Oscar & Hazard are quite good at playmaking. I reckon Jack Wilshere if he regains his fitness will be one of the best England's ever produced. He was already a playmaker when he was 16.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here