Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] University Challenge: shocking performance by our lot

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
maybe they should stop the hounding of Prof Kathleen Stock and concentrate on actually learning something? .... just saying.......

This comment seemed to be ignored by most of the people on the thread , an interesting narrative is developing with the University seemingly backing their academic if that is the case then well done to them (waits for comment its so they don't have to pay some severance money)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Young Ones was a work of genius. My old uni friends and I still occasionally quote or reference some of the repartee. It makes a change from quoting Python sketches ad nauseam.
What's good for a hangover. 8 pints of lager.

I was doing my A levels when it was on….and still use quotes now, saddo that I am. Only other shows that have entered my ‘normal’ vocab in the same way are The Fast Show and Blackadder.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
No real surprise, Sussex Uni is well known for being very lefty , all greenpeace & PC culture, perhaps they should concentrate more on their studies !

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No real surprise, Sussex Uni is well known for being very lefty.

I’m not sure this particular debate can be aligned with traditional left/right political dogmas.

Gender Identity politics are complex. You should consider the following issues to decide where you sit on Trans rights.

What is more important to society, biological sex or gender identity?

Should people attracted to women and who have a penis be allowed to be labelled as women and be able to use female only facilities such a toilets or dressing rooms?

Would you be comfortable being labelled transphobic having walked out on a romantic liaison where you took a beautiful young lady (who identifies as female gender) back to your pad, only to undress her (prior to love making) and find that she is equipped with a big penis?

Are people attracted to other people’s biological sex or their self identified gender, which is most important?

Are young lesbians being forced into transition by homophobic parents?

These are just some of the things Professor Stock (a feminist and member of the LGB Alliance) has been making her views known on, I wonder if you share them?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I’m not sure this particular debate can be aligned with traditional left/right political dogmas.

Gender Identity politics are complex. You should consider the following issues to decide where you sit on Trans rights.

Should people attracted to women and who have a penis be allowed to be labelled as women and be able to use female only facilities such a toilets or dressing rooms?

Would you be comfortable being labelled transphobic having walked out on a romantic liaison where you took a beautiful young lady (who identifies as female gender) back to your pad, only to undress her (prior to love making) and find that she is equipped with a big penis?

Are people attracted to other people’s biological sex or their self identified gender, which is most important?

These are just some of the things Professor Stock (a feminist and member of the LGB Alliance) has been making her views known on, I wonder if you share them?
Spot on. I have an old friend who is typical old-school left-wing feminist lesbian. (She gleefully used the term 'wimmin' as she knew it pissed off a certain type of man). She will be the first to admit that, when they can talk civilly, both sides make valid points, however she too has suffered abuse at the hands of Trans activists at work. (She worked in an educational establishment but not as a teacher). One of the people who gave her the most abuse she knew politically was quite right-wing (admitted to voting Tory), but the whole Trans debate has been a golden ticket to a certain type of man as it's given them a great excuse to voice their hatred of feminists.

Again, that's only one small segment of a very complex debate; as you say it SO much more complicated than saying 'Trans = left wing, Lesbian feminists = right wing'

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Brilliant post (which I've only just stumbled on).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No real surprise, Sussex Uni is well known for being very lefty , all greenpeace & PC culture, perhaps they should concentrate more on their studies !

Christ.

I think I may have just taken you off ignore because it has been so long (many years), and I'm trying to cut people a bit of slack . . . . . I'll leave it for a bit and see how it pans out, but not optimistic - new rules for me are based on 'net balance' :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here