Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] University Challenge: shocking performance by our lot

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
maybe they should stop the hounding of Prof Kathleen Stock and concentrate on actually learning something? .... just saying.......

That would have been recorded some time ago.

While I still love UC, I do have an issue in the way that the teams are selected. There's now a lot of emphasis placed on 'characters' rather than personalities. And there are a few teams who are selected because they're mates of the union president (although I think that happens less now).
That Sussex team should not have been allowed to go on, it doesn't make for great entertainment when one team is so obviously inferior.

Rant over

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I got 5 questions right last night - a PB!

In all honesty, that needs to be set against a truly appalling effort in the preceding Only Connect, where I don't think I got anything right.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I didn't see it but were the questions not gender neutral enough?

I too was going to make a little, slightly provocative, tongue-in-cheek comment along the lines of 'what do you expect from a bunch of women-haters?', but thought better of it.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
It was a tad disappointing. But I guess it was more disappointing in 1968 when Keele University won as Sussex would have been the only university to win 3 in a row had they won then.

The story that was doing the rounds in the early 1970s was that Sussex were “away” to Keele - probably not the 1968 event. Anyway, a coach was hired and filled with copious amounts of beer of which copious amounts were drunk en route. Suffice to say Team Sussex were pissed ********s on arrival. They managed to answer the first question and were successful with the bonus points and that was it. Everything went south from there on in and nul points were gained all the way to the end.

So well done Sussex. Rah! Rah! Rah! :drink::bowdown::clap::lolol:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I don't consider Sussex Uni " ours". It strikes interest , being local but the students come from all over.
Those who criticize may ask, " how would I do?"
The ability to instantly recall random facts is only one form of intelligence, not the definitive test.
As Paxman said, 100 universities never got as far appearing on tv.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
After than performance, I fully expect a stronger showing next time out from Sussex after their relegation to Blankety Blank.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
When I was at Sussex Uni, I did enquire about the UC team, only to be told it was all stitched up by the Students Union.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I got 5 questions right last night - a PB!

In all honesty, that needs to be set against a truly appalling effort in the preceding Only Connect, where I don't think I got anything right.....

To be fair, that was a tough Only Connect last night.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
When I was at Sussex Uni, I did enquire about the UC team, only to be told it was all stitched up by the Students Union.

I think they were referring to their successful Knitting society. It’s normally overly keen academics or mature students behind UC teams rather than SUs.

Having seen the astonishing performance from the winners of the recent REMF quiz in action, I can add confidently add them to the list of teams who’d have smashed Sussex too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't consider Sussex Uni " ours". It strikes interest , being local but the students come from all over.
Those who criticize may ask, " how would I do?"
The ability to instantly recall random facts is only one form of intelligence, not the definitive test.
As Paxman said, 100 universities never got as far appearing on tv.

Years ago, when we were languishing in the lower leagues( and it was more fun) , we were playing Cambridge United. In those days there wasn’t much segregation and my family ended up in the main stand with a load of Cambridge fans around us. At one point, one of their low life fans who was itching for a fight, turned around to my mother and said…” we have a better university than you” my mum burst out laughing and said…” like you have ever been there”

It all kicked off and suddenly this **** realised everyone around us were laughing at him and were actually brighton fans!

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I think they were referring to their successful Knitting society. It’s normally overly keen academics or mature students behind UC teams rather than SUs.

Having seen the astonishing performance from the winners of the recent REMF quiz in action, I can add confidently add them to the list of teams who’d have smashed Sussex too.

I was a mature student at the time.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
"No Sussex, with a score like yours, the answer that I'm looking for is 'deplatforming'.

Still, any excuse for more of this.

The Young Ones was a work of genius. My old uni friends and I still occasionally quote or reference some of the repartee. It makes a change from quoting Python sketches ad nauseam.
What's good for a hangover. 8 pints of lager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here