Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

University Advice.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I went to Nottingham and had a cracking time. It's a truly beautiful campus and a lively town. A great place to go to get away from Brighton without being TOO far away and ideal for away matches. I would discount Southampton personally, though the Uni is good, as if you want a southern experience you'd be better off going to Sussex IMHO, as the city of Southampton is a dump compared to Brighton.

Leeds is cool too, a lovely city. Have had friends who've been to Sheffield and loved it but there isn't really a campus as such.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about Nottingham.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Of your choices, Exeter has an excellent reputation, Nottingham is honey central*** Southampton is very solid. UEA is good but a bit out in the sticks.

Mytharama! I can't believe this still perpetuates. There are loads of lovely young ladies in Nottingham but no more than anywhere else. There were in the 1930s when the Boots factory opened, so yes, you will probably find a higher than average proportion of 80 year old women if that's your thing.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Have had friends who've been to Sheffield and loved it but there isn't really a campus as such.

Agreed - all of the academic departments and the Union are within a few mostly adjacent blocks of each other. In most cases the Uni have taken over a whole block - so it feels like a campus without the claustrophobia of somewhere like Warwick.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Agreed - all of the academic departments and the Union are within a few mostly adjacent blocks of each other. In most cases the Uni have taken over a whole block - so it feels like a campus without the claustrophobia of somewhere like Warwick.

Yup, I've only really heard bad things about Warwick!

My original choice was between Sheffield and Nottingham and there were two key things that put me off Sheffield:

a) When I visited they just went on and on about how it was better than Leeds (which was of no interest to me).
b) They accepted general studies, which I wasn't doing, as an a-level, so I'd have to get A/B in maths/Physics when others would be getting away with a general studies a-level.

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
I looked at the quality of the course rather than the place, hence I ended up at Aberystwyth!! (but Aber was (and probably still is) a great place for uni).

Of your choices, Manchester is a great place, spent 4 cracking years there as a postgrad in the early 90's, probably a bit different now, but still a great place to live and study.

Exactly, at the end of the day you're going to University for the degree. However, when you visit the Uni's on open days you will get a feel for the place that you like the most.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I really can't understand why Soton is getting bad press. I've just graduated and would advise it to anyone. Aside from being ranked the highest out of the universities you're considering (University Rankings League Table | The Sunday Times University Guide 2010 - Times Online), it has a great social scene, a brilliant careers department and clubs and societies for every interest. If, like myself, you enjoy playing football but aren't very good then there are loads of football teams aside from the official uni team; every subject, department and halls of residence has sports teams which are a good laugh. I would strongly recommend visiting it as it isn't too far away. Going to Soton was the best decision I've made and I've even managed to land a top job after graduating even with a 2:1.

Other important points:
Soton away game
50p a pint on a Monday
£1 for a double vodka and mixer on a Tuesday.

And the Hobbit. Let's not forget the Hobbit.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I was at UEA as a PG.

The foods shit, the student population is very middle class and cliquey. It has the lowest number of pot smokers of any uni as a percentage of student pop, and best entertainment is a fight on friday night in Magdalen St.

OK if your very course orientated, can do self catering and dont mind being parked in the middle of nowhere, ie on campus/Norwich/Norfolk.

Yeah, the more and more i look into UEA it appears it is a bit bland compared to many of the others. I went into Norwich city centre afterwards too, and it just seemed a bit dull, if thats the correct word, dont get me wrong it was a lovely town but just a bit quiet for the student sort. The location was another downside, as you say its abit out in the sticks, and a bit of a treck to get back to go to a couple of Albion games.
The course was superb, exactly what im after, but i just dont think the University itself is that lively. The people at the open day also struck me as being a different kind of crowd to what im after.

And its not to far from Brighton, which given Foolg and Myself are going to be leaving the season Falmer opens, means we'll be able to have Season Tickets (money providing) for this blessed event.

I'm looking at Southampton or Portsmouth both of which the cities are meant to be quite good (given not as good as Brighton) and the night life in both is good (apparantly)

Definatly give Southampton a sniff :thumbsup:

Southampton looks solid, having been there a few times the city is ok and the accomodation is reasonably priced. However, i've visited Portsmouth many times and it doesnt seem like a student town, and from the reviews i've heard nobody has ever spoken about it as enthusiastically as others. Have you concidered Kent or anywhere?

As for London Universities as someone else pointed out, for me its a big no-go. The accomodation costs are sky high, and the whole size of the place is a bit daunting, i can deal with Leeds or Nottingham but London is a whole new level.
From what people have said, Notts, Exeter, Manchester and Leeds sound like places i should definately visit all things considered.
Thanks for all the advice though, much appreciated :thumbsup:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Yeah, the more and more i look into UEA it appears it is a bit bland compared to many of the others. I went into Norwich city centre afterwards too, and it just seemed a bit dull, if thats the correct word, dont get me wrong it was a lovely town but just a bit quiet for the student sort. The location was another downside, as you say its abit out in the sticks, and a bit of a treck to get back to go to a couple of Albion games.
The course was superb, exactly what im after, but i just dont think the University itself is that lively. The people at the open day also struck me as being a different kind of crowd to what im after.

Southampton looks solid, having been there a few times the city is ok and the accomodation is reasonably priced. However, i've visited Portsmouth many times and it doesnt seem like a student town, and from the reviews i've heard nobody has ever spoken about it as enthusiastically as others. Have you concidered Kent or anywhere?

As for London Universities as someone else pointed out, for me its a big no-go. The accomodation costs are sky high, and the whole size of the place is a bit daunting, i can deal with Leeds or Nottingham but London is a whole new level.
From what people have said, Notts, Exeter, Manchester and Leeds sound like places i should definately visit all things considered.
Thanks for all the advice though, much appreciated :thumbsup:

I have looked at Kent and i'm going up on the 9th. But Its not in my top 5. Too expensive, even the halls are more expensive. Southampton/Bournemouth are fast becoming my first choice.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Southampton (the proper one, not Slowlent) is great. Do it!

Whats it like? I'm really in to Southampton right now, either Solent (although its a shitter uni and Slowlent is a quality name :lolol:) or he proper one. Good to live in? Whats accommodation like? I'm looking at digital forensics (I think, that might be Bournemouth and Portsmouth) or a computing course.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I have looked at Kent and i'm going up on the 9th. But Its not in my top 5. Too expensive, even the halls are more expensive. Southampton/Bournemouth are fast becoming my first choice.

I know a few people looking at Bournemouth, just wanted to advise you of what i'd heard about Portsmouth, interesting what you say about Kent.

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
It's not on your list:

But Bath is INCREDIBLE

The fact I'm there atm doesn't make me biased at all.... :thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Whats it like? I'm really in to Southampton right now, either Solent (although its a shitter uni and Slowlent is a quality name :lolol:) or he proper one. Good to live in? Whats accommodation like? I'm looking at digital forensics (I think, that might be Bournemouth and Portsmouth) or a computing course.

Southampton's a great uni. Cheap to live in, and drink in. There's so many bars and clubs that you can always find a good night to have. As for the uni itself (the proper one, don't know much about the other) it's got a wonderful reputation, is a Russel Group uni which gives it major kudos. It also participates in lots of research so is well known in that sector. The teaching is fantastic and you get to meet people from a really big range of backgrounds. The locals are mainly idiots, but are quite avoidable.

There are also plenty of societies from the traditional football / rugby / hockey to the surreal like extreme ironing. Had a brilliant time, and miss it quite a lot now!!!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
It's not on your list:

But Bath is INCREDIBLE

The fact I'm there atm doesn't make me biased at all.... :thumbsup:

Yeah i've heard good things about Bath, but the courses i want to do i wouldnt get on because it appears i would need straight A's.
If you are who i think, i know your old man, you took Maths didnt you?

Whilst I didn't live in halls at the proper uni halls (private acoomodation full of uni students opposite the main halls) I pretty uch spent alf of my time from march/april with coursemates in one of the halls, they are ok, and town is only 10-15 minute walk. nightlife there is tons to choose from so spoiled for choice on any day of the week.

Uni is good (at least my course is) and the sports clubs are good laugh as well, just cos we aren't high up the tables cos we don't do research and other stuff don't rule us out

Rather be a solent than a C.unt

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Make sure you choose the course most suited to what you want to do. Otherwise you will spend three years hating where-ever you end up. All places have their good and bad points and everyone has their individual preferences which probably won't match yours. It is what YOU make of where-ever you choose that will count.

What and where I like, you may easily hate. Its a matter of personal choice and preference. Nobody can answer other than you.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Make sure you choose the course most suited to what you want to do. Otherwise you will spend three years hating where-ever you end up. .

Thats whats confusing me, the course i want to do (modern history) is perfect at UEA but i dont think the uni is what im after given the location and other considerations. But i cannot get the grades for places like Leeds and Nottingham to do history (AAA), so would be doing my second choice course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here