Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

University Advice.

Jul 5, 2003
My oldest daughter finished Soton about 4 years ago and loved every moment.

One thing to consider is accommodation in year's 2 and 3. In Southampton there are several areas that are student friendly with Portswood being close to the Uni with local shops and some good pubs. Other areas are equally as popular but I know Portswood and the accommodation prices are reasonable.

Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester, Southampton and Sheffield are all in the Russell Group of Top 20 Uni's and any of those would give you a degree that would open the doors of some of the more fussy companies looking to employ graduates (that said, most companies wouldn't care less what Uni you went to - they would all be interested in your grades though - a 2:1 or above will get you in at most companies).

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I did history at Exeter and it was brilliant, both the course and the place. Course-wise, you can pick and choose what modules you do, so it's great if you have particular interests. There are also some genuinely world-leading academics in the department.

Regarding everything else, the campus is beautiful, although you will get charged an arm and a leg for accommodation, and there will be a lot of students from public schools called Tarquin who don't have to worry about all that because Daddy pays for it all. But provided you avoid them it's fine - I did and met many of my best friends there who I still keep in contact with regularly.

The pub on campus, the Ram, is excellent, although I wasn't a big fan of the club on campus, the Lemmy. As others have said, there isn't a huge choice of nightlife in the town but there is something on pretty much every night, with the added advantage that you will therefore know loads of people in whatever club you're in.

The area around the city is also beautiful, with the beaches and moors not far away. Shopping and whatnot's pretty decent too, especially now Princesshay is open. The only other thing I can think to say is that there is a big development going on around the middle of campus at the moment that I'm not too sure about, so you might want to look further into that. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to know anything else.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Hi Mate, I spent 3 happy years at UEA in the late 90s doing Politics and Modern History. Similar to what one of the posters said about Exeter, it's an excellent campus university with pretty much everything you need on site. The union and LCR etc are second to very few. Partly that's because there are few venues in the region that have an equivalent capacity, so UEA always manages to attract the top-end bands / entertainment.

Norwich itself is of course pretty quiet compared to Manchester et al., but it just depends what you want. It's got some of the best pubs in the country.

Overall it's a decent place to spend 3 years and I found that you meet a very good mix of people from all walks of life. A couple of my mates from school went to Exeter and had a blast there as well - even if it's Sloane Central!

I was at UEA as a PG.

The foods shit, the student population is very middle class and cliquey. It has the lowest number of pot smokers of any uni as a percentage of student pop, and best entertainment is a fight on friday night in Magdalen St.

OK if your very course orientated, can do self catering and dont mind being parked in the middle of nowhere, ie on campus/Norwich/Norfolk.

Shifty89

Sep 29, 2007
Regarding everything else, the campus is beautiful...
... The only other thing I can think to say is that there is a big development going on around the middle of campus at the moment that I'm not too sure about

I'm currently at Exeter, and have had a cracking 3 years so far. I agree the campus WAS beatiful, (some small parts still are) but unfortunately has been ruined by the developements. The centre of campus is one large building site at present, thankfully the Ram is still open though. The building works are due to be finished in december 2011 i do believe, and till then there is and will continue to be quite a bit of disruption. Its called the Forum project, have a search for it. It will no doubt be pretty spectacular once it is all finished so if you don't mind putting up with the disruptions for your first year and a half then i would highly recommend!
And what other university has Floella Benjamin handing out degrees as chancellor in the morning and then performing with her blues band in the evening at the graduation ball? Playdays rock chick!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester, Southampton and Sheffield are all in the Russell Group of Top 20 Uni's and any of those would give you a degree that would open the doors

this is the most important point. after all, that what you are getting a degree for right? and they are central. Exeter does offer an oppurtunity to network with alot of posh people if your inclinded. UEA? might as well save expense and go to Sussex.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I work in the graduate employment sector. From a long term/employability perspective I would encourage you to factor in a combination of the best course/highest ranking uni. I believe a link to the tables has already been posted and this can be further broken down by course. You will find that many employers are very specific about which universities they will look at (despite the most recent AGR survey saying the opposite). It's an absolute load of tosh, and can change wildly in the next three to four years while you are there, but do bare it in mind.

Exeter and Loughborough are the big climbers from a league table perspective in recent years while Manchester, Southampton and Leeds seem to be on the slide. Nottingham has been in or around the top ten for a long time and is probably the safest bet from this perspective. However, I have to admit to having no idea about how strong their relative history departments are.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I really can't understand why Soton is getting bad press. I've just graduated and would advise it to anyone. Aside from being ranked the highest out of the universities you're considering (University Rankings League Table | The Sunday Times University Guide 2010 - Times Online), it has a great social scene, a brilliant careers department and clubs and societies for every interest. If, like myself, you enjoy playing football but aren't very good then there are loads of football teams aside from the official uni team; every subject, department and halls of residence has sports teams which are a good laugh. I would strongly recommend visiting it as it isn't too far away. Going to Soton was the best decision I've made and I've even managed to land a top job after graduating even with a 2:1.

Other important points:
Soton away game
50p a pint on a Monday
£1 for a double vodka and mixer on a Tuesday.

And its not to far from Brighton, which given Foolg and Myself are going to be leaving the season Falmer opens, means we'll be able to have Season Tickets (money providing) for this blessed event.

I'm looking at Southampton or Portsmouth both of which the cities are meant to be quite good (given not as good as Brighton) and the night life in both is good (apparantly)

Definatly give Southampton a sniff :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There is very little difference in the eyes of employers between the university ranked 17th and 22nd to be honest.

I'm an employability officer at Uni, I would advise

1. Choose the course that interests you the most, it's in many respects your last chance to do something of your choice rather than being told what to do.
2. Give very serious consideration to a sandwich/placement based course. Research shows that you have a 30% greater chance of getting a job, a much higher chance of getting a 2:1 or 1st, and salaries tend to be higher too.
3. Do enough work to get a 2:1 at least, otherwise you will go on the reject pile for most jobs immediately.
4: Enjoy every second of it, it's not like 1980 when I was at Uni, but the memories of friends, lifestyle and experiences will be with you for a long time afterwards.

Manchester is a great place to study, the Uni is not held in quite the same regard as a generation ago, but for music, nightlife, sport, curry and flared trousers it is amazing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Of your choices, Exeter has an excellent reputation, Nottingham is honey central, Southampton is very solid. UEA is good but a bit out in the sticks.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
There is very little difference in the eyes of employers between the university ranked 17th and 22nd to be honest.

I'm an employability officer at Uni, I would advise

1. Choose the course that interests you the most, it's in many respects your last chance to do something of your choice rather than being told what to do.
2. Give very serious consideration to a sandwich/placement based course. Research shows that you have a 30% greater chance of getting a job, a much higher chance of getting a 2:1 or 1st, and salaries tend to be higher too.
3. Do enough work to get a 2:1 at least, otherwise you will go on the reject pile for most jobs immediately.
4: Enjoy every second of it, it's not like 1980 when I was at Uni, but the memories of friends, lifestyle and experiences will be with you for a long time afterwards.

Manchester is a great place to study, the Uni is not held in quite the same regard as a generation ago, but for music, nightlife, sport, curry and flared trousers it is amazing.

What Uni do you work at?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm currently at Exeter, and have had a cracking 3 years so far. I agree the campus WAS beatiful, (some small parts still are) but unfortunately has been ruined by the developements. The centre of campus is one large building site at present, thankfully the Ram is still open though. The building works are due to be finished in december 2011 i do believe, and till then there is and will continue to be quite a bit of disruption. Its called the Forum project, have a search for it. It will no doubt be pretty spectacular once it is all finished so if you don't mind putting up with the disruptions for your first year and a half then i would highly recommend!
And what other university has Floella Benjamin handing out degrees as chancellor in the morning and then performing with her blues band in the evening at the graduation ball? Playdays rock chick!

The incompetent ****s that were/are the Guild cancelled our grad ball 30 minutes AFTER it was supposed to start, so no Floella's band for us :(

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
And its not to far from Brighton, which given Foolg and Myself are going to be leaving the season Falmer opens, means we'll be able to have Season Tickets (money providing) for this blessed event.

I'm looking at Southampton or Portsmouth both of which the cities are meant to be quite good (given not as good as Brighton) and the night life in both is good (apparantly)
Definatly give Southampton a sniff :thumbsup:

??? really,i had 5 mates at soton and 1 at pompy who,whilst loved their times at both admitted that Bristol,Leeds and Manc were on a different level for student nights.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
??? really,i had 5 mates at soton and 1 at pompy who,whilst loved their times at both admitted that Bristol,Leeds and Manc were on a different level for student nights.

I've gone on what i've heard but being an hour or two away from my Home city where all my friends are anyway, if i find Southampton too shit or Portsmouth suicidal, i'll get a train and get wasted here. :thumbsup:

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I've gone on what i've heard but being an hour or two away from my Home city where all my friends are anyway, if i find Southampton too shit or Portsmouth suicidal, i'll get a train and get wasted here. :thumbsup:

always a good back up plan. its interesting knowone has mentioned any of the London Unis. I never considered going to uni in London as im just not keen on the place plus it's so expensive but im sure they have some cracking students nights.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A lad at work has come back as seasonal staff after gaining a 2:1 in TV & Media and is finding that job opportunities are virtually nil so he will be spending the rest of the summer collecting supermarket trolleys.

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
Just graduated from Manchester Met, thoroughly enjoyed my time living in manchester.
I think all the perks were covered in el presidente's last post!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just been to see Sheffield with TRHK Jnr - and he loved it. Great Politics course but that aside, the "campus" (the whole academic area/student union is within a few blocks) is great - in the middle of things but pretty self contained. Award winning student union. Halls on two sites - seem nice enough. Not Manchester for nightlife, but it is the third or fourth biggest city in the UK (i think) so not bad. Know a few people there (or recently left) who all swear by it.

Don't dismiss it too quickly and if you can get on an Open Day, worth a look.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
A lad at work has come back as seasonal staff after gaining a 2:1 in TV & Media and is finding that job opportunities are virtually nil so he will be spending the rest of the summer collecting supermarket trolleys.

Have employed a lot of people in advertsing/media over the years and have always regarded these semi-vocational degrees with some scepticism. Frankly, "media" degrees provide graduates with little of practical use other than a sense that they know everything already. It's a shame because these guys are genuinely interested, but in many cases a good History, English, Language or Design degree would get you far farther, and far faster, in Marketing/Media than a degree like your colleagues.

Bit of advice - ask a potential employer what degree they would consider apprpriate for the career you want to pursue (if you know). If you don't, just do what interests you but be prepared to be behind those in the queue who had a plan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here