Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unemployed of the board unite............

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I was made redundant at the end of October but am paid to the end of January so I'm not panicking yet. The redundancy package should pay off my mortgage so that's even better.

I applied for a part-time job at the Uni and the application form ran to 10 pages - I can't face filling it all in just yet! Ho hum.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
OU sounds great. I don't know how the grant system works with that though. Student grants and loans interfere with JSAQUOTE]

From what I understand having trawled the OU site is that if you are in receipt of income based benefits, any course for 30+ points is fully funded.

It's not a loan, and I'm pretty certain it doesn't count as a grant. I believe it works in the same way that if you attend your local college you pay a heavily reduced rate for your studies if you are in receipt of JSA etc (when I was at college, my course cost £400 and JSA students paid £30)

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
I was made redundant at the end of October but am paid to the end of January so I'm not panicking yet. The redundancy package should pay off my mortgage so that's even better.

I applied for a part-time job at the Uni and the application form ran to 10 pages - I can't face filling it all in just yet! Ho hum.

Job application forms are a piece of piss compared to benefit applications :lol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you're on JSa though BG, aren't you being put under pressure to work? Have you been made to attend interviews etc or just left to get on with it?

Once you reach about 55 they appear to give up on you as nobdoy wants 40 year old so they definitely do not want 55.

For the past 35 years my wife and I have been publicans so I just said that I wanted a job as a pub manager and you can guesss how many companys wanted a 60 year old manager to join their conmpany. Hence we advertised our services as a relief manager to carry us through to retirment but unfortunately my wife had an accident so we had to stop that. I can fully undertsand your desire to work because whenever we did a relief we advised the authorities who then stopped our JSA , correctly so,and we earnt a little more but gained tremendous satisfaction out of the work aspect of the job.

I would love now for somebody to ask me to go and look after their pub for them now, not full time but while they had a holiday etc.

It is so easy to sit back and preach but I think that the whole benefit system needs an overhaul.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Once you reach about 55 they appear to give up on you as nobdoy wants 40 year old so they definitely do not want 55.

For the past 35 years my wife and I have been publicans so I just said that I wanted a job as a pub manager and you can guesss how many companys wanted a 60 year old manager to join their conmpany. Hence we advertised our services as a relief manager to carry us through to retirment but unfortunately my wife had an accident so we had to stop that. I can fully undertsand your desire to work because whenever we did a relief we advised the authorities who then stopped our JSA , correctly so,and we earnt a little more but gained tremendous satisfaction out of the work aspect of the job.

I would love now for somebody to ask me to go and look after their pub for them now, not full time but while they had a holiday etc.

It is so easy to sit back and preach but I think that the whole benefit system needs an overhaul.

What happened? Is she ok?

D

Deleted User X18H

We have been seriously considering buying the lease on a pub but it is no place to bring up a one year old and people are not spending their cash in pubs so the mrs said!!! We sniffed around The Brewry Tap but it is only ever busy on match days!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What happened? Is she ok?
She fell down a pub cellar stairs in Aug 06 so we havent worked since then. The good thing is the company admitted liability and we are now nearing the reaching of an insurance settlement. She is getting better and the consultant has said it is just a matter of time before she can regain the complete movement of her arm and shoulder probably another 18 months.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

You are so right about that ! It's ironic that the job I'm doing right now is where my age is of benefit, if only for the fact that some of the more obnoxious users (not many I grant you) respond better to somebody their age. There are so called age discrimination laws in place now but frankly they're a waste of time. The response I get so often is that I am 'Too Experienced' which seems just a little bit ridiculous to me. I might add the staff at Job Centres are only too aware of the ageist nature of many employers and are sympathetic.

I might further add that whilst some might not know their jobs backwards (who does ?) Job Centre staff are as helpful as the system allows them to be. It's a bit of a thankless task where they often get abused for issues that are nothing to do with them, Housing Benefit and Social Security payments are just two problems that they have no control of but not everybody understands this. Personally I think they do a good job under the circumstances as do the C.A.B who it should be noted are volunteers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here