Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unemployed of the board unite............

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
it's quite a wait at the Worthing C.A.B. as a lot of people are in the same boat.

Well thats a bloody stupid idea for starters.
Perhaps if Worthing CAB operated from an office in the high street like all the others, they'd deal with cases more efficiently.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
JSA is £94 per week but the government state that a married couple needs £189 unless that is an age related thing. The JSA is made up to £189 per week for my wife and I because we are both of pension age. This money has been the same since I left my last pub 2003 when I decided that I was not prepared to work full time for the £100 a week extra that I would get. The figures quoted are what my wife and I received before I reached 65 and are still the same now that I am 65. The break down is different in that some is pension and some is pension credit but the end result is that the figure irrespective of what they call it is the same.

Cannot understand why a a couple in their late 50s early 60s would get that if a younger couple didnt but perhaps that is correct I dont know I have never had it before 2003.

JSA is £94 per week but the government state that a married couple needs £189 unless that is an age related thing. The JSA is made up to £189 per week for my wife and I because we are both of pension age. This money has been the same since I left my last pub 2003 when I decided that I was not prepared to work full time for the £100 a week extra that I would get. The figures quoted are what my wife and I received before I reached 65 and are still the same now that I am 65. The break down is different in that some is pension and some is pension credit but the end result is that the figure irrespective of what they call it is the same.

Cannot understand why a a couple in their late 50s early 60s would get that if a younger couple didnt but perhaps that is correct I dont know I have never had it before 2003.

JSA = Job Seeker's Allowance which you cannot claim unless you're looking for a job.
The current state pension for couples is £145.05pw but, as you've correctly stated, the government estimates that minimum income a couple requires is £189.35pw so the difference can be made up by claiming pension credit (PC). However, I believe PC is means tested so if you have income from other sources (eg private pension, investments/savings over £6K) you may not qualify if income from these + the state pension take you over £189.35pw. PC can be claimed from the age of 60 (ie even before you get state pension) if your income is low in order to top you up to the base level of £189.35pw.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing

Your £189 figure is strange as it is actually double the couple rate bar 90p.

Also when you state that working full time would earn you £100 more, that figure is further diluted by the extra 'benefits' of being on benefits ie free prescriptions/dental treatment etc.

The reality is that the longer you claim benefits, the harder it is to justify in your own mind going back to work.

Many people reading your bold comment who are still working/newly unemployed will be angered by it. But it is true that after a long period of claiming, even the lure of an extra £430 per month as in your example, won't persuade people to give up their benefits lifestyle. It's not a criticism btw. 5 years ago i would have been one of the angered people but I can now fully appreciate why people make that choice

If you're on JSa though BG, aren't you being put under pressure to work? Have you been made to attend interviews etc or just left to get on with it?

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
AVS I am signing on properly from December 4th I am signing every Thursday at 11.40 and will maybe see you at Edward Street my ex employer confirmed my additional severance pay will cease at 30th November.

If you are claiming contribution based JSA you can irrespective of how much you have in the bank for 6 months.

Beware Edward Street is full of desperate looking people but is also like being in a Ken Loach play/film. I went in September but then suspended my claim whilst my thick American ex employer f***ed things up for a few months:lolol:

My advice is, join the library, apply to become a magistrate which opens all sorts of free lunch situations whether successful or not and if you have kids under three take them to baby boogie at one of the citys libraries we go to Westdene and it is MILF city.

Good luck

Cheers HB&B

I'm in Worthing so will have to sign on there. I don't have kids either and wouldn't be interested in MILF's as I'm a laydee :)

I'm claiming income based JSa as I have nothing in the bank except the next 2 months rent :(

But I presume you've had your initial interview at Job Centre Plus? What happens in that and how long does it take etc?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I ran out of work 2 weeks ago but am starting for someone else on Monday. In the meantime I have become the absolute nuts at Mario Kart.

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
have you thought about moving nearer to the job centre?
what an absolute fuckin PRICK you really are, stupid fuckin STUDENT,

try leaving fuckin SCHOOL, getting out in the real world and finding out it fuckin tough it is you COCK.......f*** you wanker

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I found it annoying 5 years ago when I worked for BT that my take home pay for a 42 hour week could be equalled by agency part timers on mimimum wage. Several of them were single parents who worked only 16 hours a week but with all the benefits and allowances heaped on top took home the same as me.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
what an absolute fuckin PRICK you really are, stupid fuckin STUDENT,

try leaving fuckin SCHOOL, getting out in the real world and finding out it fuckin tough it is you COCK.......f*** you wanker

Steady, I think that's what he thinks of as wit.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I've just started at a Jobcentreplus office. Some of the situations people are in is heartbreaking, others are just taking the p*ss. I would recommend that you do as much research as possible as some of the staff aren't completely fluent in all the benefits (especially the ones at the call centre for initial claims).

Also, if you're suffering joint-wise at the mo, might be worth a DLA claim (if you aren't already entitled).

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
I've just started at a Jobcentreplus office. Some of the situations people are in is heartbreaking, others are just taking the p*ss. I would recommend that you do as much research as possible as some of the staff aren't completely fluent in all the benefits (especially the ones at the call centre for initial claims).

Also, if you're suffering joint-wise at the mo, might be worth a DLA claim (if you aren't already entitled).

Yes you're completely right about the call centre. I did loads of research before ringing them, and I found it was me doing all the probing as to which combinations of claims i should go for, to which she responded 'oooh I don't know but it sounds like you've been bery busy' :lol:

Where I stand at the minute is that I've claimed JSA/LHA/CTB and DLA. My question really (and still not sure who is going to be able to answer it tbh) is would I be better swapping the JSA to IS if the DLA is approved?

I do find full time a struggle healthwise, but was prepared to do that for a good salary! However, I think JSA will make them push me into a full time job that doesn't pay much just to get me back into work.

Before anyone flames me, I do want to work. I've worked consistently for the last 20 years, putting my job before my health plenty of times (turning down treatment which affected me working etc) but now I want to put my health first. I would like to take 6 months to retrain with a view to getting a part time job in the summer, and I think IS would give me more flexibility to do that than JSA would

However, that is dependent on the DLA claim going through, and if it doesn't I can still satisfy the JSA requirement as the study would be OU so can fit around work if necessary, plus the vol work can go if I find a job

It's right complicated and frankly my brain is starting to hurt with it all! :)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes you're completely right about the call centre. I did loads of research before ringing them, and I found it was me doing all the probing as to which combinations of claims i should go for, to which she responded 'oooh I don't know but it sounds like you've been bery busy' :lol:

Where I stand at the minute is that I've claimed JSA/LHA/CTB and DLA. My question really (and still not sure who is going to be able to answer it tbh) is would I be better swapping the JSA to IS if the DLA is approved?

I do find full time a struggle healthwise, but was prepared to do that for a good salary! However, I think JSA will make them push me into a full time job that doesn't pay much just to get me back into work.

Before anyone flames me, I do want to work. I've worked consistently for the last 20 years, putting my job before my health plenty of times (turning down treatment which affected me working etc) but now I want to put my health first. I would like to take 6 months to retrain with a view to getting a part time job in the summer, and I think IS would give me more flexibility to do that than JSA would

However, that is dependent on the DLA claim going through, and if it doesn't I can still satisfy the JSA requirement as the study would be OU so can fit around work if necessary, plus the vol work can go if I find a job

Bloody hell - I was made redundant in March but thankfully found a new job quite quickly. Lucky really as I didn't understand a word of your post !!!! Good luck regardless :thumbsup:

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007

Right, I think there's a good chance of DLA being approved... providing you filled the form in as a 'bad day scenario'. The consultant is also very encouraging when asked to provide evidence.

I don't know if you'd be better off on IS to be honest.
Don't forget, there's things like Disabled person's tax credits and lower council tax if DLA is approved.

I'm in the same situation myself, I don't know if I could physically work full time, but I don't want to suffer a low salary because of that, neither do I wan't to claim that I'm too sick to work (cos I'm not!). If DLA is approved, you get a lot more help finding a job and assistance with making it more accessible for you. Think about the ESA (what used to be Incapacity Benefit). You might be entitled to that.

OU sounds great. I don't know how the grant system works with that though. Student grants and loans interfere with JSA and IS. I saw a person who was looking for work, living with a partner. The partner was a full time student with loan and grant, because of this, the unemployed person was entitled to NO JSA! Couldn't even get contribution based because too young.

The person who knows their stuff is Wardy. I think he's more housing benefit though.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
And don't take everything I say as fact either. I've only been studying welfare for a year and only just started my placement!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here